• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Australis A be granted test status?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
McGrath is the best pace bowler in the world, get over it
One of the best certainly, but if he's the best, how come PwC has him behind Pollock in both forms of the game?

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
One of the best certainly, but if he's the best, how come PwC has him behind Pollock in both forms of the game?
PWC is not the be all and end all.

Make a judgment for yourslef how can you answer an opinion by assuming PWC is the deffinitive way of judging a bowlers greatness

I mean you say it like PWC is 100% accurate.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Neither is an opinion. IMO Pollock and McGrath are probably on par.
How dumb do you think I am ??

I think it can be safly assumed that I dont think an opinion is 100% accurate or even close to accurate in many cases.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Eclipse said:
How dumb do you think I am ??

I think it can be safly assumed that I dont think an opinion is 100% accurate or even close to accurate in many cases.
Why are you getting upset??? What did I say that could be construed as an insult?? Calm down.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Why are you getting upset??? What did I say that could be construed as an insult?? Calm down.
I am not upset I just wonderd why you came up with that my post was ment to query why marc used PwC as if it was the diffinitive judge of a bowler.

I never implied in any way that an opinion is more valid or less valid.

Mr Mxyzptlk

I agree with you on the PWC rankings. PWC rankings are rankings based on form. They don't rank how good a player is.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmmm, I log on to Cricinfo and what do I find? Bangladesh have just beaten the Australian Academy. It's not a good idea to read into one result, but the players in that team are going to have to take the place of the current Australian team when they retire, and although the dec was competitive, Bangladesh got it after an early collapse. Interisting :)

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Pollock better than McGrath! How wrong can a ranking be.

Is there any team or any cpatain in the world, who at the moment will pick Pollock over McGrath.

Pollock used to be awesome, but now he has just become a mediocre medium pacer.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
royGilchrist said:
Is there any team or any cpatain in the world, who at the moment will pick Pollock over McGrath?
If your team's short of batting I wouldn't bet against it. Anyway Pollock takes wickets very cheaply and can bat, who wouldn't want him over McGrath? Maybe slightly less penetrating as a bowler but his batting makes up for it. A true all-rounder.

Mr Mxyzptlk

royGilchrist said:
Pollock used to be awesome, but now he has just become a mediocre medium pacer.
Why do people have the mentality that Pollock has done nothing in recent times??

In the last two years to his most recent Test, Pollock has taken 54 wickets in 14 matches at 21.12 per wicket. That's 3.85 wickets per match. Over his career, he's taken 4.07 wickets per match. His SR is just 0.2 points lower than his career SR in that time.

In the same period of time, McGrath has taken 99 wickets in 23 matches at 21.57 per wicket. His average per match is 4.30 and his career average is 4.56 per match. His SR is 1.3 points higher than his career average.

Those stats aren't much different and it shows that Pollock hasn't exactly had a meagre career thus far.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
If your team's short of batting I wouldn't bet against it.
The problem is a few people here have a tough time with analyzing a hypothetical situation.

Rik, we are not talking about batting or fielding or captaincy or anyting like that. Not their ability as all rounders or general cricketers, simply bowlers. This is not an actual situation but a hypothetical one. We are just discussing the best fast bowler in the world today.

My question in a rephrased way.....will there be a captain in the world who will pick any other fast bowler over McGrath, based solely on their bowling ability.

I am surprised that we are even discussing who the best fast bowler in the world is today, it one thing where there should be complete agreement between everyone. Its obvious.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
And the discussion is at present not all time.

All time Pollock has been a wonderful bowler, maybe a shade below McGrath but not by much.

Mr Mxyzptlk

royGilchrist said:
I am surprised that we are even discussing who the best fast bowler in the world is today, it one thing where there should be complete agreement between everyone. Its obvious.
Everyone is entitled to a perspective and opinion and my honest view may be different from your's. The above statement basically seeks to take away our right to an individual perspective because it's saying that if we don't consider McGrath the best, then we are, quite frankly, wrong. In a matter such as this, one cannot be wrong or right per se. It's all opinionated and only God knows for certain what the right answer is in such a matter.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well, at present Pollock is bowling supremely.

And Eclipse, I never expressed an opinion that PwC are the be all and end all, just pointed out that statements like "McGrath is the best pace bowler in the world, get over it" tend to be easy to counteract.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Hmmm, I log on to Cricinfo and what do I find? Bangladesh have just beaten the Australian Academy. It's not a good idea to read into one result, but the players in that team are going to have to take the place of the current Australian team when they retire, and although the dec was competitive, Bangladesh got it after an early collapse. Interisting :)
I noticed that as well.

Surely if Australians in general are as briiliant at everything as they like to have us believe, then this was match fixing?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yeah marc ofcourse, have a look at the scorecard - the acadamy side declared twice, only lost 7 wickets, bangladesh lost 15, also note that this is an ACADAMY side, most of these players dont even have much first class experience...

Eclipse

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Well, at present Pollock is bowling supremely.

And Eclipse, I never expressed an opinion that PwC are the be all and end all, just pointed out that statements like "McGrath is the best pace bowler in the world, get over it" tend to be easy to counteract.
Yeah a I agree with that they are easy to counteract.