• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shoaib ban - Does this set a precedence?

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
I have not had the chance to see the Pak-SA series myself, but I just read the article on cricinfo about the Shoaib ban and how he had said just a few swear words to Paul Adams.

Does this mean that everytime a player says a few bad words in the heat of the battle there will be a ban imposed? What do you guys think?

All I can say is if a precedence is set then there might well be a chance to beat Aus as half the team will be soon banned for violating this policy.

I think its very silly really to ban someone for something which is so common in sports and life in general these days....and there needs to be consistency in ICC regulations.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Shoaib has a very poor disclipinary record compared to others mind you.

In 2002, he abused a spectator (and did he throw a bottle at the person?) in Zimbabwe & earlier in the year he tampered with the ball against NZ in Sri Lanka.

I'd say they're just handing a ban out to him for being continuously stupid...a similar thing happens in the NRL league comp, the worse your discipline record is, the less chance you have of escaping some kind of ban or punishment.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
There are always conflicting reports about what players say to each other, but the fact is that only Shoaib, Adams & maybe a few others nearby at the time know exactly what was said.

He may have been innocent but considering what Shoaib has done in the past I wouldn't put it past him to say some things that are out of line.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
As far as I'm aware, the ban is for calling Paul Adams a "f*cking tw*t".

I can see justification for a reprimand... but a ban? You've got to be taking the Michael...

And under which principles of justice do past offences count for anything?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
If the reported naughties were the only reason, I'd consider him very hard done by indeed. On the other hand, seeing as the common perception of Shoaib's behaviour in the past is that he has frequently acted like an arrogant child, it strikes me that the authorities are just fed up to the teeth with his (alleged) stupidity.

I do agree with Neil that past misdemeanours should not really be taken into account, but it seems that the powers that be think that Shoaib really ought to grow up - and a slap across the wrists by means of a short ban might have the desired effect eventually.

It's a bit like banging your head against a brick wall, though (although that feels great when you stop).

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree. Too harsh. I remember when a similar rule was introduced in South Auatralian A-grade cricket; there was more swearing at batsmen than ever that year..........

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
And under which principles of justice do past offences count for anything?
exactly!

And its not a matter of being too harsh, but its about consistency. If ICC consistently follows this policy, it might take the fun out of the game but atleast it will be fair. But I am forced to ask the same old questions, Would McGrath or S Waugh have had the same sort of penalty imposed upon them?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
royGilchrist said:
But I am forced to ask the same old questions, Would McGrath or S Waugh have had the same sort of penalty imposed upon them?
No, of course not, how unfair would that be?
Remeber, that's just the way Australia play. Sledging and being abused by the crowd in Australia is just part and parcel of touring there. It's other nations that should be ashamed of themselves.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
No, of course not, how unfair would that be?
Remeber, that's just the way Australia play. Sledging and being abused by the crowd in Australia is just part and parcel of touring there. It's other nations that should be ashamed of themselves.

I assume that's tounge in cheek?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JohnnyA said:
One quick irrelevant off-topic question. I couldn't find an appropriate forum on Cricket Web to post this enquiry ...
I'd have gone for "Ask Cricket Web" myself ;)

JohnnyA said:
Why are PM's not allowed? And why can't we volunteer to show or emails if we so wish ... hidden behind the link that appears at the bottom of each post?

A lot of spam is the simple answer

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
And Clarke - for a very, very similar offence aimed at Mushfiqur Rahman - gets a 50% match fee fine.
Ironically the English fans wanted him banned as well!