• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne's return

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Not long to go now before the Shane "it was my mum" Warne
returns.

Any thoughts to whether he should be picked straight away into the Aussie playing X1 ?

I'm sure this will probably happen -- Cricket Australia will roll out the red carpet for him just as they have done many times in the past depsite his indiscretions.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Of course shane should be re introduced. The selectors job is to pick the 11 best players a nation has "available" to them.
If Shane's available and if he's the best player in the land then why not?
His form will of course have to be tested by playing a few games for Victoria but if he's still landing them then he should be given a go

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Why shouldnt they pick him? He's 'done the time'.
It will be interesting to see how well he does. Of course, he'll be under alot of pressure, but we'll see...

So many Australian greats haven't exactly been done any favours by the selectors. The Waugh twins come to mind offhand. I don't see why Warney would be any different.

I think they're managing quite finely without him anyhow.

iamdavid

International Debutant
A touchy topic , it will depend mainly on MacGill's form this summer , if he bowls well then they cant just kick him out again.
However if the Indian's have a day out against him ( as I suspect they might ) then Warne will likely be welcomed back for the Sri Lanka tour with open arms.

He must prove himself first though , you dont go straight into a test tour after 12 months of nothing more competitve than backyard cricket , he'll have to make a couple of appearances for Victoria or at least a few grade matches first.

As for him stated ambition to play ODI's again , I think its a case of tough luck.
The ODI arena is for younger men & I feel he will cop the same treatment the Waugh's did as far as their ODI carears were concerned.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think Warne should be automatically drafted back into the team. He should play some domestic cricket first and prove himself again. Hooper had to...

That said, when the Aussies go on tour, he's a certain for the 16.

Last edited:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
iamdavid said:
A touchy topic , it will depend mainly on MacGill's form this summer , if he bowls well then they cant just kick him out again.
Oh they've done it before and I'm sure they will do it again...

hourn

U19 Cricketer
one of the most interesting things of this summer will be whether Warne comes back into the Australian team.

I almost certainly wouldn't think he'lll go straight into the team without a couple of grades games or shield games.

If MacGill carves up this summer it could be curtains for Warney - although one would be a brave man to bet against Warne ever playing test cricket again....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Personally I hope MacGill (and any other spinner who plays) gets hammered out of the park by the Indians this winter and Warne comes back immidiately he's played enough domestic cricket.

Craig

World Traveller
No but if hasnt had any cricket, he will be hammered by the Sri Lankans and he probably will regardless.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The first leg of the Sri Lankan tour is One Dayers (I think) and Warne has retired from them so he will have some time with Victoria to prove himself. I do remember the selectors saying that the best XI will be chosen for every test and nobody will get dropped if they are performing, so if Warne isn't taking wickets and MacGill is bowling well, we will see if they stick with what they say.

Mister Wright is Mister Wrong. It wasn't announced.

Unless you're Nostradamus, Mister Wrong, then I'd like to know what you based that on?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Unless you're Nostradamus, Mister Wrong, then I'd like to know what you based that on?
Mister Wright IS RIGHT

And no, I am not Nostradamus, I just have a brain.

Get a life!

For evidence, go here:

Forthcoming Calendar

It clearly shows that there are 5 ODIs before the 3 tests.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
furious_ged said:

You really don't have any tact do you?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mister Wright said:
Mister Wright IS RIGHT

And no, I am not Nostradamus, I just have a brain.

Get a life!

For evidence, go here:

Forthcoming Calendar

It clearly shows that there are 5 ODIs before the 3 tests.
You did say Warne has retired, but I think he's reversed his ODI retirement. But yes there are 5 ODIs before the 3 Tests, even my TWC International Calender says that...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
You really don't have any tact do you?
It's the old 'loving furious_ged / vengeful furious_ged' thing.

Footnote : that probably only makes sense to me. The first time I saw his signature I thought that it was 'furious god'.