• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne - First Class Stats: Batting

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
After going through all above posts, one question immediately came to my mind.
Did Warne played in relatively better (quality wise) FC cricket than Muralitharan?

P.S: Their batting stats suggest opposite.

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
His average is just 11.xx! He played 130+ Tests & most of them were in SC. Playing spinners is relatively easy. As Mr. Burgey says, Why didn't he hit spinners back over their heads? Even Ashwin scored 100 in Chennai dustbowls. I was expecting something like 20+ avg from him.

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Vice-Captain
After going through all above posts, one question immediately came to my mind.
Did Warne played in relatively better (quality wise) FC cricket than Muralitharan?

P.S: Their batting stats suggest opposite.
Are you referring to Murali's batting stats in First-Class cricket?

Matches: 233
Innings: 276
Runs: 2192
Highest Score: 67
Average: 11.35
Not Outs: 83
50s: 1
100s: 0

The 67 he made was in Test cricket against India in 2001.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Big fan of the logic. I can prove that Test bowling in the 1930s and 40s was 16 times better in than it was in the 90s and 00s, because Bradman averaged 16 times more than Glenn McGrath

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Playing in Div2 would not help Smith in any way for WTC Final.

If he scores some runs, he will be overconfident. Otherwise he will feel humiliaton.
Agreed. As a novice batsman who lacks a proven record of success anywhere or against anyone, but especially in England, I agree this County stint can do young Steve Smith no good at all. There is no way he would use it as the best batsman of his generation would and apply it as a tune up after a bit of a break from red ball cricket before heading into a six test northern summer. Nope, he doesn't know his game and has no idea what he's doing.

When really, really good players are in form, the bowling all comes the same to them. Not just to Smith, but all really top players.

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
When really, really good players are in form, the bowling all comes the same to them. Not just to Smith, but all really top players.
I think the interesting thing to come out of this stint will be how he fares against Robinson. He's been stood at second slip and watched a bit of a masterclass as Robinson took 14 wickets and was head and shoulders above any other bowler on show. I'm guessing the pair will have seen a fair bit of each other in the nets too.

Smith looked very rusty for that 30, probably not surprising really given it's his first red ball knock in a long time. Compared to the calmness of Pujara at the other end who knock off a ton without really breaking sweat, the contrast was palpable. The forecast is again somewhat mixed for this week's game.....only Saturday looks a decent day for batting.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Well it's still First-Class cricket. It shows he was more than handy with the bat on his day.
Warne waited 15 years and had scored over 5000 FC runs before his first century against Kent in 2005. His second, and final, century came only two months later against Middlesex. He averaged 32 and 24 that season for Hampshire. Hampshire missed out on the title by just 2.5 points, probably not helped that Warne, Katich and KP were missing for a large chunk of the season.

The tone of this article from the SMH about the Middlesex game is a funny given what happened weeks later.