• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Selection errors tally thread

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well Hilfenhaus is doing a good job of justifying his selection, so I don't think they deserve any discredit at all.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
"Too similar" is a notoriously stupid reason for not picking players.

Quality, not variety, is the order of the day where cricketers are concerned.

Still, at least bad reasoning is better than refusing to give reasoning at all.
Added to the fact outside of height, Siddle & Clark offer far different things as bowlers.

But again this should not be Hilfenhaus vs Clark selection debate. Clark should have been playing ahead of Haurtiz.

Top_Cat

Added to the fact outside of height, Siddle & Clark offer far different things as bowlers.

But again this should not be Hilfenhaus vs Clark selection debate. Clark should have been playing ahead of Haurtiz.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
No way man. That record has to keep playing, its a serious problem with the selectors. You cant go about with an acceptance that the mistake will be continously occur.

It has costed AUS before & will again.

Top_Cat

Well, they won in SA so if they win this series, will you (please) change the record? It's boring in every ****ing thread.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well, they won in SA so if they win this series, will you (please) change the record? It's boring in every ****ing thread.
:laugh:. Ease your hermones big man, its cricketchat. I have no intentions of exciting you.

Haurtiz didn't play in SA. They lost in AUS & IND because of the stupidy of picking a useless spinner as part of a 4-man attack.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I'll take that as a no. :)
You know what yo, just like how the american news host Keith Olberman counts down the days since Bush said "mission accomplished".

I think you have inspired me to start up the "last time AUS played a proper bowling attack" countdown. Gotta make sure the maths on point ya digg..

Craig

World Traveller
Stuart Broad. I know he can bat, but how much has his surname helped him get where he is? I mean it is one of the most telegraphed favourite scoring area in the game ATM, but he still gives Phil Highes width outside off stump. So why continue to bowl there?

Nathan Hauritz, I know he picked up three wickets, but seriously, just say no.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Broad was a poor selection in 2007/08 and 2008; however since the start of 2009 he's justified his being picked and there was no case for not playing him at the start of this series.

I've said it several times: Broad did not deserve the opening he was given and I still don't think he's much of a Test bowler and don't expect him to have any great success in this series if he bowls as he's bowled the last six months. However, as things currently stand, his selection is fair enough, unlike MSP's.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well Hilfenhaus is doing a good job of justifying his selection, so I don't think they deserve any discredit at all.
Totally agreed.. He bowled really well yesterday
Hilfenhaus had shown no indication, to my mind, of bowling as well as he did in the first-innings. Therefore, to pick him was a mistake.

In bowling far better than I've ever seen him bowl to date (not to say he's never bowled this well before, obviously) Hilfenhaus himself deserves full credit. But, if fit enough, Clark had a far, far stronger case, so the selectors deserve none.

Craig

World Traveller
Broad was a poor selection in 2007/08 and 2008; however since the start of 2009 he's justified his being picked and there was no case for not playing him at the start of this series.

I've said it several times: Broad did not deserve the opening he was given and I still don't think he's much of a Test bowler and don't expect him to have any great success in this series if he bowls as he's bowled the last six months. However, as things currently stand, his selection is fair enough, unlike MSP's.
Still doesn't mean I think he is any good.

hitmanpaul

Cricket Spectator
alright lets be honest, ryan sidebottom should be playing instead of onions or panesar, because he poses far more of a threat than both...panesar isnt good enough to play test cricket, neither is hauritz....englands attack with sidebottom would be right arm swing bowler, right arm fast and hostile, left arm swing bowler and a mixture of swing and hostility from broad, with swann as a fairly good spinner...instead we have panesar who cant bat or field, and isnt much better with the ball

Uppercut

Have you seen Sidebottom bowl in the county championship recently?

I suspect if you had, you'd want him nowhere near the team.

Uppercut

not in the county championship i havent, but i saw him in the 20 20 against yorkshire and he looked good
Yeah, he looked great in the World Twenty20 too. In a four-over burst, he's still got a lot to offer.

I saw him play in a CC game a couple of months ago, and he looked completely done. His pace was well down, he didn't seem fit, he wasn't taking wickets and he wasn't looking like he might take wickets. I suspect when the selectors went to see him play against Lancs last week they saw something similar.

It's a shame, because he was one of my favourite players in the England team, and I really rate him as a bowler. But he just isn't fit enough to play tests at the moment.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, he looked great in the World Twenty20 too. In a four-over burst, he's still got a lot to offer.

I saw him play in a CC game a couple of months ago, and he looked completely done. His pace was well down, he didn't seem fit, he wasn't taking wickets and he wasn't looking like he might take wickets. I suspect when the selectors went to see him play against Lancs last week they saw something similar.

It's a shame, because he was one of my favourite players in the England team, and I really rate him as a bowler. But he just isn't fit enough to play tests at the moment.
Hmm..

Uppercut

Hey, I'm not saying my sources are perfect, maybe someone else here can give us better recent knowledge. His output in CC matches hasn't improved (3 wickets @ 34 this season, he's barely even bowled) and the selectors are leaving him well alone, so I'm yet to see much to suggest that the situation has changed.

It does seem pretty likely to me that he's been left out for fitness reasons though. Because i don't think anyone doubts that he's good enough for England when his body can take it.