• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rohit Sharma vs Usman Khawaja - The Better Test Opener ?

Usman Khawaja vs Rohit Sharma , The Better Test Opener ?

• Total voters

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I actually didn't realise how good Khwaja's test record is and how many tests he has played without being a certainty in xi until recently.

Last edited:

Arachnodouche

International Captain
This version of Khawaja inspires more confidence. He's going to end up with a great average regardless of nitpicking.

Socerer 01

International Captain
lol. Could be because he’s played literally two series away as an opener.

Anyway its Khawaja easily at this point.
its just 1 less match than Conway who was mentioned in this thread. i would normally agree for anyone else to take in their older records but Rohit is the 1 player who plays completely different as opener and is much better there so his middle order days have little bearing on who he is now

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
its just 1 less match than Conway who was mentioned in this thread. i would normally agree for anyone else to take in their older records but Rohit is the 1 player who plays completely different as opener and is much better there so his middle order days have little bearing on who he is now
mmk but Khawaja averages ~70 away as an opener over more matches so yeah

Brook's side

State Vice-Captain
Both were late bloomers in Test Cricket
Sharma should have been picked consistently much much much earlier.

I remember watching him score a big 100 for Mumbai in the final of the domestic competition around....2008 probably, and they were already talking about him being ready for his place in the test side.

Love watching Kwaja. Even his forward defence is elegant.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Very close between them but the top 4 would probably be

Conway
Karunaratne
Khawaja
Rohit
Would be interesting to see who people would pick for a current World XI. I'd definitely not go with Karunaratne but I'm really torn between the other three openers.

1 Rohit/Khawaja
2 Conway/Khawaja
3 Williamson
4 Smith
5 Root
6 Blundell
7 Jadeja
8 Cummins
9 Rabada
10 Lyon
11 Anderson

Didn't consider Pant, Bumrah, Jamieson or Haze due to long-term injuries. I'd consider Stokes for Jadeja in certain conditions but only if he was actually fit to bowl properly. Maybe Shaheen for Lyon would make more sense when two spinners wouldn't be needed, but he hasn't played a Test in almost a year due to injury either (fit enough to play T20 recently though). Who'd be the next best quick? Nortje maybe?

I'll probably cop some **** for leaving Marnus and Ashwin out. Come at me.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Khawaja's record is even more remarkable considering he is clearly best suited to opening.

Averages 68 opening from 33 innings.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Would be interesting to see who people would pick for a current World XI. I'd definitely not go with Karunaratne but I'm really torn between the other three openers.

1 Rohit/Khawaja
2 Conway/Khawaja
3 Williamson
4 Smith
5 Root
6 Blundell
7 Jadeja
8 Cummins
9 Rabada
10 Lyon
11 Anderson

Didn't consider Pant, Bumrah, Jamieson or Haze due to long-term injuries. I'd consider Stokes for Jadeja in certain conditions but only if he was actually fit to bowl properly. Maybe Shaheen for Lyon would make more sense when two spinners wouldn't be needed, but he hasn't played a Test in almost a year due to injury either (fit enough to play T20 recently though). Who'd be the next best quick? Nortje maybe?

I'll probably cop some **** for leaving Marnus and Ashwin out. Come at me.
For a test that starts tomorrow, Harry Brook is the first name on the sheet but appreciate you might be judging over a longer timeframe