• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the Ashes 2021/22

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Not an England fan, but my word I'd have loved to have seen Livingstone in this series. In all likelihood he'd probably be really inconsistent, but looking at it from a pure entertainment angle then it's a great letdown he's not involved imo.

Aritro

International Regular
When is Glenn McGrath scheduled to issues his ritual Australia wins 5-0 prediction. Is this still a thing?
I'd already issued it a few times privately, until I read an article that confirmed that the disgustingly cold and rainy La Nina-affected summer we're having is likely to continue. That should allow the Pommy bowling to make up some of the ground lost by their club standard batting.

Although ideally both teams would lose 0-5, obviously.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's been overcast enough this week in Brisbane for Anderson to have an impact with the ball.

Aritro

International Regular
Maybe we should also let them use the Dukes to make things competitive
Not least because the current version of the Kookaburra be displayed as an outmoded historical curiosity in cricket museums alongside the ribbed pads and the tickler condom style batting gloves with rubber spikes.

I'm inclined to believe Jeff Thomson's assertion about how their balls suddenly went to **** in the mid 80s when there was no competition. Otherwise it's hard to imagine how they came to dominate the cricketing market with such a functionally useless cricket ball.

Last edited:

Aritro

International Regular
This is the article I was referring to above about La Nina and England's chances:

My google search also yielded a couple of actual academic studies which have found that La Nina is strongly historically correlated with England winning Ashes series and El Nino with Australia winning. Which I find hilarious. Here's a couple of quotes from one of them:

In El Niño years, Australia has won 13 out of 17 Ashes series played. On the other hand Australia has only won 5 out of 13 series in La Niña years. The probability of England winning an Ashes series therefore changes by over a factor of 2, from over 50% in La Niña years, to less than 25% in El Niño years.
1. Indeed, it appears that the only time that England has won an Ashes series following a significantly positive January–June Niño-3 index in the last 100 years is the infamous ‘bodyline’ series of 1932/1933: a series that to this day remains controversial.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is the article I was referring to above about La Nina and England's chances:

My google search also yielded a couple of actual academic studies which have found that La Nina is strongly historically correlated with England winning Ashes series and El Nino with Australia winning. Which I find hilarious. Here's a couple of quotes from one of them:

It's hilarious but likely not a coincidence right? Thinking about it logically it makes perfect sense that England would do better when Aus conditions are closest to English conditions.

Burgey

I exclusively raised the La Nina issue several weeks ago, including a reference to Clouderson. No prizes for second for the Age here.

Starfighter

2010/11 was the wettest summer for 36 years. This year has been the rainiest since 2010, whether it continues into summer is yet to be seen.

Burgey

It will, but it won't matter because England's batting is woeful compared with 2010/11. And if it's going to swing and seam then even someone like Starc will be effective, let alone Cummins and Haze.

Cook
Strauss
Trott
Pietersen
Collingowwd
Bell
Prior

vs

Burns
Some Nuffie
Some Nuffie
Root
Stokes
Some Nuffie
Buttler

isn't a favorable comparison for the current lot.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Should pick Crawley. Will do well. As will Lawrence. Not as sold on Pope, though he is a good talent and can be Bell like.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Guessing we will have a revival of that Ashes down under tradition of the urn being retained within 9 days of actual cricket

mackembhoy

International Debutant
It will, but it won't matter because England's batting is woeful compared with 2010/11. And if it's going to swing and seam then even someone like Starc will be effective, let alone Cummins and Haze.

Cook
Strauss
Trott
Pietersen
Collingowwd
Bell
Prior

vs

Burns
Some Nuffie
Some Nuffie
Root
Stokes
Some Nuffie
Buttler

isn't a favorable comparison for the current lot.
You just ruled out Malan who was our best bat last time.

Only Cook and Trott have scored more than Malan in our last 3 series over there.

Albeit lower down the averages than Cook and Root last time and others from 10/11.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

You just ruled out Malan who was our best bat last time.

Only Cook and Trott have scored more than Malan in our last 3 series over there.

Albeit lower down the averages than Cook and Root last time and others from 10/11.
wickets were pretty flat last time though

I mean Mitch Marsh averaged 100

Starfighter

So, Inglis or Carey as keeper? I know the latter's been boosted as a future captain but I'd prefer the former.

Last edited: