• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richards v Tendulkar - ODIs

Who is the best ODI batsman of all time?

• Total voters

Cruxdude

International Debutant
45 over 442 games 86 s/r 41n/o

47 over 186 games 90 s/r 24 n/o

Both good records. But as many should be saying here maintaining it over 442 games matters and is not something to be overlooked.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Tendulkars the greatest ODI batsmen for me and the fact he has scored the most runs has nothing to do with it. I dont care if Sachin amasses 100 tons in both formats of the game, or if he goes down as the greatest ever test run scorer. It makes little difference, if you take Lara or Richards or Ponting, if they had the same opportunity to play as many ODis as Tendulkar did and that too opening the innings, I am sure they would challenge Tendulkars overall grip on the ODI run record.

That is besides the point, I would want Tendulkar to bat for me if someone was to play for my life in an ODI game.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
45 over 442 games 86 s/r 41n/o

47 over 186 games 90 s/r 24 n/o

Both good records. But as many should be saying here maintaining it over 442 games matters and is not something to be overlooked.
No-one is overlooking it, it's there and that's why Sachin has been able to accumulate the most runs and most 100s. You've got to take your hat off to him.

But for heaven's sake let's not get into comparing not outs as though that somehow flatters Richards' average.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Warm welcome to the forum mohammad. You seem a very nice poster and it is not just because you said good things about Tendulkar. :)

R_D

International Debutant
I have a doubt.

Having double the number of 100s, having played so many breathtaking innings, having given the nation such exhilirating moments of happiness (and some moments of heartbreak) all these are rendered meaningless by just a strike rate?

So what is the purpose of consistency and longetivity in these arguments? Does it have any relevance?

Tendulkar has scored almost 3 times the no. of runs that Richards scored. Almost that number of times he played and yet averages almost similar to him. Isn't that something brilliant?

Incredible.
Lol...
Didn't watch Richards play :(... Only seen higlights of his batting.
Richards probably slightly ahead because his s/r compared to his contempories..

Again how dare someone rate an non-Australian player ahead of Australian player.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
There is not that big a difference in their statistics, one guy does it over more number of games. It seems a pretty easy decision for me.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
There is not that big a difference in their statistics, one guy does it over more number of games. It seems a pretty easy decision for me.
ODI cricket 20 years back and ODI cricket now is a completely different beast. A score of 225 was considered good and 250 excellent even in 1996 which is not even 20 years back.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah it's a factor but it's hard to hold that against Richards and if I'm deciding who's the better ODI batsman it's not something that I'd regard as decisive.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Yeah true. I just looked at Richard's record and they are pretty awesome. For each their own then.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Sunny Gavaskar appeared to me in a dream and revealed that particular argument to me so I don't see how it can be argued against
did he indeed? how strange...nasser hussain appeared in my dream and said the same thing to me...i agree, that makes it open and shut...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Consistency is some thing, Sanz says, goes in favor of Tendulkar. Not true I find.

% of completed innings > 50

Richards - 39%
Tendulkar - 35%

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
did he indeed? how strange...nasser hussain appeared in my dream and said the same thing to me...i agree, that makes it open and shut...
Not sure whose dream was the more disturbing. I am afraid to shut my eyes tonight

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah for all you know freddie krueger might decide to pay a visit, and he probably hates cricket...
I hear that Freddie Krueger is being lined up by Lancashire as their new Kolpak all-rounder for next season