• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reserve Aussie batsman for tour of Sri Lanka

Mingster

State Regular
Take Symonds. :D

If it came to a spinning allrounder, who would you rather pick: Clarke or Symonds in the Test arena?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Mingster said:

If it came to a spinning allrounder, who would you rather pick: Clarke or Symonds in the Test arena?
Neither on the basis of their spin bowling. :D

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mingster said:

Clarke is a useful spinner at best and Symonds I rate the same.

I don't rate Symonds' seamup stuff. I rate them equally as batsmen.

Mr Mxyzptlk

halsey said:
Personally I would go Bevan.

He certainly appears to have sorted out his short ball problem.
How can you tell based on ODI cricket? There are rules which virtually disallow quality short bowling.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
How can you tell based on ODI cricket? There are rules which virtually disallow quality short bowling.
He has been playing wonderful first class cricket averaging 57 in first class cricket.. he deserved another chance IMO but his injury might have come at the worst moment for him.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Yet the fact remains that they're already in the side, so why replace them if they're still performing?

Well neither of them have been named in the squad yet. I'm sure they're likely to be, but Lehmann may not, coming back from injury. I suppose it's inevitable given that all they wanted from Lehmann is to hit the ball for him to come back.

I wouldn't even name Katich in my second XI.

Mingster

State Regular
mavric41 said:
Martyn has had TWO YEARS at 4 and has not scored a hundred. His form at 4 is not a patch on what it was at 6. Put him back at 6, Katich at 5 and Lehmann at 4 with Love the reserve. And if you look at Love's record he rarely gets out for less than 10.
Martyn has played 12 matches and 17 innings at 4, and has scored 682 runs, at a respectable 42.63 with 6 50s.

That's pretty solid going if you ask me.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Mingster said:
Martyn has played 12 matches and 17 innings at 4, and has scored 682 runs, at a respectable 42.63 with 6 50s.

That's pretty solid going if you ask me.
Solid - yes. But if a batsman is averaging well over 50 in one posistion and then 42 in another - where would you bat him.

N0.4 position is supposed to be for the batsman who builds the big partnerships after the early work of the openers. Because Hayden, Langer and Ponting have done so well, Martyn has been able to hide.

I'm not saying drop him - just bat him down the list. Lehmann would be the perfect 4 coming in.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
mavric41 said:
Martyn has had TWO YEARS at 4 and has not scored a hundred. His form at 4 is not a patch on what it was at 6. Put him back at 6, Katich at 5 and Lehmann at 4 with Love the reserve. And if you look at Love's record he rarely gets out for less than 10.
Yes but in that time he did have an injury and missed the flat tracks in the Windies and two tests against Bangladesh.

Craig

World Traveller
Andre said:
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Come on...
Oh I'm sorry, tell me what he has done in Test cricket in the last two years?

I thought as a batsman you had to score runs to keep your spot in the Test team? Isnt that what happened to Mark Waugh.

BTW Linda if you find the time to get to know me I'm orginally not from Queensland.

But as Eclipse once said what would I know...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mingster

State Regular
mavric41 said:
Solid - yes. But if a batsman is averaging well over 50 in one posistion and then 42 in another - where would you bat him.

N0.4 position is supposed to be for the batsman who builds the big partnerships after the early work of the openers. Because Hayden, Langer and Ponting have done so well, Martyn has been able to hide.

I'm not saying drop him - just bat him down the list. Lehmann would be the perfect 4 coming in.
He doesn't average over 50 in another position except for 7 where he played a few games

Mingster

State Regular
Craig said:
He has averaged 45.38 over the past 2 years.

So is that what you call nothing? :rolleyes:

Mingster

State Regular
Craig said:
I'm talking about scoring centuries.

He's been solid but not great.
Out of the 20 matches and 30 innings since the 2 years you mentioned, he has also hit 3 100's and 7 50's. That one 50+ score out of every 3 innings.

Just to compare, Langer has average 48, thats only 3 more runs.

Your point on Martyn is invalid.

Andre

International Regular
Craig said:

I thought as a batsman you had to score runs to keep your spot in the Test team? Isnt that what happened to Mark Waugh.

BTW Linda if you find the time to get to know me I'm orginally not from Queensland.

But as Eclipse once said what would I know...:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
You wouldn't have even noticed had the media not brought it up...

I'll be honest - I just think your jumping on the bandwagon without really and properly looking at the situation.

For the record, he's averaged 45 in Test cricket the past 2 years. But hey, lets drop him! :rolleyes: