• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ray Lindwall vs Alan Davidson

Who was the greater test bowler?

• Ray Lindwall

Votes: 15 65.2%
  • Alan Davidson

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lindwall. Similar average up until the point up to which Davidson played and a better Ashes bowler.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hard to tell. Lindwall started well, if a couple of years late, declined and had that little comeback that dented his average. Davidson started poorly and finished prematurely close to his peak.

I have an inclination to give it to Davidson by a hair (about the margin between their FC figures really), although Lindwall is undoubtedly the more celebrated. Lindwall was perhaps a bit quicker at his peak and perhaps had a couple more skills, though both had a good box tricks to dip into, but I'm on the record as rating effectiveness over flashy variety when it comes to winning matches (hence McGrath > Akram).

Patience and Accuracy+Gut

First Class Debutant
Hard to tell. Lindwall started well, if a couple of years late, declined and had that little comeback that dented his average. Davidson started poorly and finished prematurely close to his peak.

I have an inclination to give it to Davidson by a hair (about the margin between their FC figures really), although Lindwall is undoubtedly the more celebrated. Lindwall was perhaps a bit quicker at his peak and perhaps had a couple more skills, though both had a good box tricks to dip into, but I'm on the record as rating effectiveness over flashy variety when it comes to winning matches (hence McGrath > Akram).
Davo was Fast-medium.Lindwall was like 10-15 Kmph quicker than Davo.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I like the left armer seamers more in general. I have not seen either of them play. So just went with Davo. They both can bat so ideally wud pick them both in my team. :D

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Did they actually play together? Hard to imagine one of them batting no. 10 or 11

assuming there would be at least one other bowler in there too
Keeper batted 11 and Lindwall still ended up at 10 lol.

Cool that that website lists where batsmen were caught on the scorecards though!

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Davidson bowled so little, lol. Was he playing as more of a #6 bat?
It's a real strange line-up. Davidson isn't a no.6.

They also had Ian Johnson batting at 5 who probably could have been no. 11 in that side. It's like they picked 6 bowlers and just put them in a random order with the keeper

According to merit, Miller & Benaud should have been 5 and 6. With the other 5 guys all about similar ability batting 7 to 11. They did weird things with batting orders back then

Last edited: