• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

rating players is dumb

Flem274*

123/5
in that bowling thread i looked at johnsons name, tried to think of how to compare a guy who oscillated between divine judgement and club standard to 11 other bowlers each with their own career quirks and i decided i cbf.

some things are obvious like anderson sucks with a kookaburra, wagner is a short king and cummins is the current #1 but im pretty surprised people are so passionate about rating cricketers when you can throw a blanket over the top ten batsmen and bowlers of all time with the exception of bradman.

picking teams is still fun and there's valid debates to be had, and i like that cw throws out a lot of new ideas so we're not stuck with the same generation of cricketing pundits spouting what they view as conventional wisdom but let's not kid ourselves that there are wide gulfs in class between lara, ponting, sangakkara, kallis, chanderpaul, younis khan, abdv, dravid and FLOPdulkar (to name just some modern players). the guys i have just named make every test side in history.

some guy tried to pretend last night batting in partnerships has no effect on individual players. this is the sort of robotic stupidity i expect from 2005 era cwers like richard and friends not real human beings. im not one to lack a strong opinion or entertain new ways of looking at cricket, and a lot of what people think is me trolling is me throwing an extreme view out there as an experiment to see if we can find a new way to look at things (my most quirky one being a talent thread from years ago where i said people are really bad at judging batting talent and 'talent' in cricket speak is a synonym for 'strike rate' or 'i like him more') but the vehemency and volume of opinion people argue with on here gets a bit extreme. my eyes glaze over when scrolling through what sachin and lara may or may not have done 25 years ago. migara calling chaminda vaas a beta male to big up murali did get a smile from me though. that's the sort of character quirks i come here for.

im probably just far more interested in the next game and good memories. ben stokes and jason holder don't need to be better than flintoff or sobers for me to love watching them play.

thank you for listening to my ted talk and i hope you find some really good internet media personalities to enjoy today.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree that the levels many have gone to try and differentiate between the likes of Lara and Tendulkar lately have been bordering on the ridiculous, and been painful to see let alone be a part of

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
in that bowling thread i looked at johnsons name, tried to think of how to compare a guy who oscillated between divine judgement and club standard to 11 other bowlers each with their own career quirks and i decided i cbf.

some things are obvious like anderson sucks with a kookaburra, wagner is a short king and cummins is the current #1 but im pretty surprised people are so passionate about rating cricketers when you can throw a blanket over the top ten batsmen and bowlers of all time with the exception of bradman.

picking teams is still fun and there's valid debates to be had, and i like that cw throws out a lot of new ideas so we're not stuck with the same generation of cricketing pundits spouting what they view as conventional wisdom but let's not kid ourselves that there are wide gulfs in class between lara, ponting, sangakkara, kallis, chanderpaul, younis khan, abdv, dravid and FLOPdulkar (to name just some modern players). the guys i have just named make every test side in history.

some guy tried to pretend last night batting in partnerships has no effect on individual players. this is the sort of robotic stupidity i expect from 2005 era cwers like richard and friends not real human beings. im not one to lack a strong opinion or entertain new ways of looking at cricket, and a lot of what people think is me trolling is me throwing an extreme view out there as an experiment to see if we can find a new way to look at things (my most quirky one being a talent thread from years ago where i said people are really bad at judging batting talent and 'talent' in cricket speak is a synonym for 'strike rate' or 'i like him more') but the vehemency and volume of opinion people argue with on here gets a bit extreme. my eyes glaze over when scrolling through what sachin and lara may or may not have done 25 years ago. migara calling chaminda vaas a beta male to big up murali did get a smile from me though. that's the sort of character quirks i come here for.

im probably just far more interested in the next game and good memories. ben stokes and jason holder don't need to be better than flintoff or sobers for me to love watching them play.

thank you for listening to my ted talk and i hope you find some really good internet media personalities to enjoy today.

A lot of things are dumb but still enjoyable.

Spark

Global Moderator
I've posted about this many times now but as time has gone I have become more and more sceptical of the utility of most stats in cricket, not less so.

EDIT: Or to be precise, the way stats are used in analysis. The stats themselves are completely fine.

ImpatientLime

International Regular

you were right about 'talent' though and those people who bang on about 'natural talent'.

TestMatch

U19 Cricketer
It might be annoying, but constant rating, argument and taxonomy is how you get close to some kind of truth.

And most of the old timers on this forum seem to go to lengths to look beyond mere stats.

They mightn't all agree exactly, but their arguments tease out nuances and chisel away toward something approaching reasonable consensus.

Daemon

ok

trundler

I love the ranking exercises. They're objective and are fun to think about. Every now and then somebody throws in a fun stat like difference between a bowler's average and the overall average of batsmen they dismissed and it inspires great discussions. It gets tedious when someone with an obvious agenda starts bombarding the forum with pointless conveniently chosen metrics.