• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rate these Aussie sides for All-time

subshakerz

International Coach
- Current Aussie team of the past year
- Australia under Waugh/Ponting 99 to 2007
- Australia of the mid 70s under Chappell
- Australia under Richie Benaud late 50s/early 60s
- Bradman Invincibles

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Waugh/Ponting
Invincibles
Benaud
Chappell/ Current mob

Edit: swapped Benaud's side with Chappell's after further consideration

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
- Current Aussie team of the past year
- Australia under Waugh/Ponting 99 to 2007
- Australia of the mid 70s under Chappell
- Australia under Richie Benaud late 50s/early 60s
- Bradman Invincibles
Probably a good idea to pick specific teams to see how they stack up. I'll go first.

Waugh/Ponting:

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Waugh M
Waugh S*
Martyn
Gilchrist +
Lee
Warne
Gillespie
McGrath

Mid 70s Australia

Redpath
McCosker
Chappell I*
Chappell G
Edward's
Walters
Marsh+
Walker
Lillee
Mallet
Thompson

Core team that crushed England and WI. Doug Walters missed the 75-76 series vs the WI, but no doubt he'd have played but for injury.

Invincibles

Morris
Barnes
Bradman *
Hasset
Miller
Harvey
Johnson
Lindwall
Talon+
Johnston
Toshack

Above didn't actually play together.

Current

Warner
Khawaja
Marnus
Smith
Head
Green
Carey+
Starc
Cummins*
Lyons
Hazlewood

Sunil1z

International Regular
I don’t have much idea about Aussie side of 1970s . But a quick statsguru search told me that under Chappell Australia won 2 Test series overseas ( NZ and SL ) and lost in ENG and PAK . So how is that Chappell side better than Current side who won in PAK, drew in SL and gave a good fight in IND .
I believe current Aussie side is also monstrous at home . So is Chappell side better based on reputation or I am missing something ? Did Australia have their player missing overseas due to Kerry- Packer World Series?

Burgey

The peak Chappell-era side would have been something along the lines of what @Slifer posted with maybe Gus Gilmour in for Tangles or the spinner.

It was the pace attack and the middle order which made them a top side. Openers were always problematic around that time and the spin stocks were pretty average overall as well.

The peak Benaud side is something pretty good. I think I have done them a disservice rating them below Chappell's outfit.

Simpson
Lawry/McDonald
Harvey
O'Neill
Burge :cool:
Booth
McKay
Davo
Benaud
Grout
McKenzie

That's a pretty ****ing handy side tbh Played together at Manchester in 61 in Richie's famous match.

Last edited:

Sunil1z

International Regular
Ponting or Waugh (99/07)
20% Gap
Taylor(95/99) = Bradman’s invincible
Benaud 60
Current Aussie side
Chappell 70

subshakerz

International Coach
I don’t have much idea about Aussie side of 1970s . But a quick statsguru search told me that under Chappell Australia won 2 Test series overseas ( NZ and SL ) and lost in ENG and PAK . So how is that Chappell side better than Current side who won in PAK, drew in SL and gave a good fight in IND .
I believe current Aussie side is also monstrous at home . So is Chappell side better based on reputation or I am missing something ? Did Australia have their player missing overseas due to Kerry- Packer World Series?
I don't think Chappell lost a test series, did he?

Sunil1z

International Regular
Taylors side to me was a proto version of Waughs.
Yes , but there were some differences and most important difference was Gilchrist.

Without Gilchrist.
1 . Aus are not winning Hobart Test in 99 ( so no consecutive 16 Test streak)

2 . Without Gilchrist Aus are probably losing 3-0 to India in 2001 ( Mumbai Test was won by Gilchrist)

3 . Without Gilchrist Australia aren’t whitewashing SA in SA in 2002

And there could be many more examples.

Burgey

Ian Chappell stopped captaining Aus in 1975. I think you and subshakerz are at cross purposes and he's talking about Ian. Greg Chappell's side lost to WI in Aus in 79/80 and in Pakistan.

Sunil1z

International Regular
How would have Ian Chappell’s side fared against
1 . 79/80 WI with pace quartet
2. Imran’s Pak in Pak
3 . Botham’s England in Eng

Sunil1z

International Regular
Then they are better than Cummins side for now . However a lot depends on how current Aussie side performs in Ashes .

Raz0r6ack

U19 12th Man
Yes , but there were some differences and most important difference was Gilchrist.

Without Gilchrist.
1 . Aus are not winning Hobart Test in 99 ( so no consecutive 16 Test streak)

2 . Without Gilchrist Aus are probably losing 3-0 to India in 2001 ( Mumbai Test was won by Gilchrist)

3 . Without Gilchrist Australia aren’t whitewashing SA in SA in 2002

And there could be many more examples.
Australia didn't whitewash South Africa in South Africa in 2002.

Burgey

How would have Ian Chappell’s side fared against
1 . 79/80 WI with pace quartet
2. Imran’s Pak in Pak
3 . Botham’s England in Eng
Ian Chappell actually played vs WI in 79/80 under Greg’s captaincy and batted three, though he was past his best by then.

I remember that fact because he was fielding at fine leg in an ODI that summer at the SCG and I along with a stack of kids kept asking him for his autograph only to be told “The captain won’t let me…”