• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ranking some more all-rounders as batsmen and bowlers, the ODI edition. 33 names

Camo999

State 12th Man
Yeah in hindsight maybe Hooper is a couple of slots too high but he did pretty well in ODIs and was great to watch. Feel S Waugh in ODIs was OK but to put it bluntly, not good enough to bat top order and not really an explosive type player in the middle either. Competent enough but nothing compared to his test performances. Aside from that amazing knock vs SA in 99 WC, he prob had more impact with the ball. Shakib's got him covered.

Immy v Pollock is toss of a coin. Reckon SA didn't use their resources well enough. Kluesner was not out 50 times 137 digs. Wasted. I remember him batting in the top order one tri series. Could've easily been given a role like Jaya / Gilchrist long term but they preferred to keep him in reserve at 8 rather than try to seize the initiative. Pollock too was better than most of the guys batting ahead of him. Pity.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree outside of the 120* there weren't that many memorable innings. But he had a pretty good WC record with the bat

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't check stats for all of them. Overall less familiar with ODI stats of these players than tests stats of players in previous all-rounder exercise. So there can be a few oversights here.

Batting

Shane Watson
Sanath Jayasuriya
Lance Klusener
Andrew Symonds
Jacques Kallis
Ryan ten Doeschate
Hansie Cronje
Shakib Al-Hasan
Andrew Flintoff
Steve Waugh
Kapil Dev
Scott Styris
Carl Hooper
Imran Khan
Abdul Razzaq
Chris Cairns
Ravindra Jadeja
Shaun Pollock
Shahid Afridi
Chris Harris
Heath Streak
Ian Botham
Richard Hadlee
Ravi Shastri (LOL. Dat strike rate)
Ian Harvey (WTF. No 50+ scores)

Bowling

Richard Hadlee
Shaun Pollock
Kapil Dev
Imran Khan
Shane Watson
Sanath Jayasuriya
Ian Botham
Lance Klusener
Andrew Flintoff
Shahid Afridi
Heath Streak
Ravindra Jadeja
Abdul Razzaq
Shakib Al~asan
Carl Hooper
Jacques Kallis
Ryan ten Doeschate
Chris Harris
Chris Cairns
Scott Styris
Ian Harvey
Ravi Shastri
Andrew Symonds
Hansie Cronje
Steve Waugh

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
So top 5 according to my average ranks: Shane Watson > Sanath Jayasuriya > Lance Klusener > Kapil Dev > Imran Khan. Seems legit. Imran higher than I would have thought but taking a second look at his stats, I think he was pretty good in limited overs too.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Jacques Kallis
Sanath Jayasuriya
Lance Klusener
Andrew Symonds
Shane Watson
Shakib Al-Hasan
Shahid Afridi
Carl Hooper
Hansie Cronje
Andrew Flintoff
Ravi Shastri
Imran Khan
Steve Waugh
Kapil Dev
Ian Botham
Chris Cairns
Ryan ten Doeschate
Scott Styris
Shaun Pollock
Ravindra Jadeja
Abdul Razzaq
Heath Streak
Chris Harris
Richard Hadlee
Ian Harvey

Shaun Pollock
Kapil Dev
Richard Hadlee
Imran Khan
Shakib Al-Hasan
Ian Botham
Andrew Flintoff
Chris Harris
Chris Cairns
Heath Streak
Abdul Razzaq
Ian Harvey
Shahid Afridi
Shane Watson
Lance Klusener
Ravindra Jadeja
Scott Styris
Jacques Kallis
Ravi Shastri
Sanath Jayasuriya
Carl Hooper
Hansie Cronje
Steve Waugh
Ryan ten Doeschate
Andrew Symonds

Bahseph

State Captain
I've always thought that SA wasted Pollock in terms of his batting ability. No way he should have batted at 9 as much as he did and if he was around today I reckon he would be 6/7 for the Proteas in LO cricket. Good batsman to watch.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Batting
Andrew Symonds
Shane Watson
Sanath Jayasuriya
Lance Klusener
Ryan ten Doeschate
Jacques Kallis
Shakib Al-Hasan
Shahid Afridi
Carl Hooper
Hansie Cronje
Kapil Dev
Steve Waugh
Andrew Flintoff
Chris Cairns
Imran Khan
Shaun Pollock
Ravindra Jadeja
Scott Styris
Ian Botham
Ravi Shastri
Abdul Razzaq
Heath Streak
Chris Harris
Richard Hadlee
Ian Harvey

Bowling
Richard Hadlee
Shaun Pollock
Kapil Dev
Andrew Flintoff
Imran Khan
Ian Botham
Shakib Al-Hasan
Heath Streak
Lance Klusener
Ian Harvey
Abdul Razzaq
Ravi Shastri
Jacques Kallis
Chris Harris
Shane Watson
Chris Cairns
Hansie Cronje
Shahid Afridi
Carl Hooper
Steve Waugh
Scott Styris
Sanath Jayasuriya
Ryan ten Doeschate
Ravindra Jadeja
Andrew Symonds

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
How come Ian Harvey who never made a fifty not at the bottom of every single batting list?

Victor Ian

International Coach
I'd be interested in a ranking purely on stats. ie Batting average * strike rate for batting list and whatever the equivalent is for the bowling. In less busy periods, I'd be happy to be the nerd who did this. I'm hoping someone else can step up to the nerd plate and do this.

Symonds is not the worst bowler in that list. He was definitely not the best, but also not the worst. Steve Waugh is a hard placement. When he bowled he would be in the top half but for most of the time, he didn't bowl.

Anyways, no complaints (apart from the above contradiction). I have looked at this list a few times and find it too hard to rank these players in order.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
How come Ian Harvey who never made a fifty not at the bottom of every single batting list?
Short answer: It was a long list to do in a hurry, and people made minor mistakes.

I kept him just above Pollock, Streak and Hadlee - but now think he should be at least below Pollock if not also the other two.

mr_mister

I'd be interested in a ranking purely on stats. ie Batting average * strike rate for batting list and whatever the equivalent is for the bowling. In less busy periods, I'd be happy to be the nerd who did this. I'm hoping someone else can step up to the nerd plate and do this.

Symonds is not the worst bowler in that list. He was definitely not the best, but also not the worst. Steve Waugh is a hard placement. When he bowled he would be in the top half but for most of the time, he didn't bowl.

Anyways, no complaints (apart from the above contradiction). I have looked at this list a few times and find it too hard to rank these players in order.

when doing the ranking list i could implement this as another stat along with the total batting and bowling points.

what would it be for bowling though? Av x ER and the lower the better?

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
when doing the ranking list i could implement this as another stat along with the total batting and bowling points.

what would it be for bowling though? Av x ER and the lower the better?
Don't do this. Anyone can do this on their own. Your ranking is CW's ranking - not a ranking based on stats. [Plus I don't think Avg x SR is the correct statistical analysis - but that's a long story and I'm sleepy]

mr_mister

It wouldn't affect the overall ranking just a little bit of trivia to go next to the other info. Might make for an interesting comparison for how we view players from intangibles vs how good they're meant to be based on stats

Regardless it's probably too much effort anyway

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Why isn't Yuvraj Singh in there? Won man of the tournament in a world cup for his all round efforts.