• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank the following Sri Lankan Test Batsmen

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Not going to rank them but going to comment on their overrated/underrated-ness

Roy Dias - inconclusive
Arjuna Ranatunga - overrated
Aravinda de SIlva - overrated (but still very, very good)
Asanka Gurusinha - rated fairly
Hashan Tilakaratne - underrated
Marvan Atapattu - underrated
Sanath Jayasuriya - overrated
Roy Dias - agree
Aravinda - correctly rated. There was a time he matched Tendulkar at his best
Arjuna Ranatunga - just about rated correcttly. Severely underrated in ODIs
Asanka Gurusinha - Better player outside Asia than in Asia
Hashan Tillekaratne - Better player of spin than pace. Some how managed to score centuries in Perth and Durban.
Marvan Atapattu - Agree
Sanath Jayasuriya - rated properly

1. Aravinda de Silva
2. Asanka Gurusinha
3. Marvan Atapattu
4. Arjuna Ranatunga
5. Hashan Tillekaratne
6. Roy Dias.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
My only Gurusinha thoughts are of watching him recently in some highlights opening the bowling in a test against NZ off a properly long run. While hardly fast-medium I must say he was definitely quicker than when I've seen him trundling in 90s ODI highlights.
How about him hitting six sixes against Zim or carting Warne over long off?

ataraxia

International Coach
Roy Dias - agree
Aravinda - correctly rated. There was a time he matched Tendulkar at his best
Arjuna Ranatunga - just about rated correcttly. Severely underrated in ODIs
Asanka Gurusinha - Better player outside Asia than in Asia
Hashan Tillekaratne - Better player of spin than pace. Some how managed to score centuries in Perth and Durban.
Marvan Atapattu - Agree
Sanath Jayasuriya - rated properly

1. Aravinda de Silva
2. Asanka Gurusinha
3. Marvan Atapattu
4. Arjuna Ranatunga
5. Hashan Tillekaratne
6. Roy Dias.
Where does Jayasuriya fit in the ranking?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm bewildered at how it took Migara so long to comment on this thread. It would be like having a "Which 2010's Australian domestic bowlers are better than Jimmy Anderson" thread without stephen appearing for a few days.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I remember Gurusinga scoring a lot of runs and looking class in NZ in 1990/91. The trouble is that Crowe, Jones, and Aravinda also scored lots of runs as well as the 3-test series finished 0-0. This would've been the 1st post-Hadlee NZ summer but showed what SL was growing towards.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I remember Gurusinga scoring a lot of runs and looking class in NZ in 1990/91. The trouble is that Crowe, Jones, and Aravinda also scored lots of runs as well as the 3-test series finished 0-0. This would've been the 1st post-Hadlee NZ summer but showed what SL was growing towards.
He had some good outings in Australia too, and while Zimbabwe was a force to reckon with.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
1st test:

Aravinda 267 and DNB
Gurusingha 70 and DNB
Crowe 30 and 299
Jones 5 and 186

2nd test:
A 1 and 6
G 119 and 102
C 36 and DNB
J 122 and 100*

3rd test:
A 96 and 123