• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank the following Sri Lankan Test Batsmen

Teja.

Global Moderator
I have been reading about pre-1996 Sri Lankan cricketers over the last few days and there's a surprising amount of really decent test batsmen who did performed better in test cricket than I thought they did.

Rank and discuss the following test batsmen:

Roy Dias (1982-1987) 1285 runs in 20 tests @ 36.7
Arjuna Ranatunga (1982-2000) 5105 runs in 93 tests @ 35.7
Aravinda de SIlva (1984-2002) 6302 runs in 93 tests @ 43
Asanka Gurusinha (1985-1996) 2452 runs in 41 tests @ 38.9
Hashan Tilakaratne (1989-2004) 4545 runs in 83 tests @ 42.9
Marvan Atapattu (1990-2007) 5502 runs in 90 tests @ 39
Sanath Jayasuriya (1991-2007) 6973 runs in 110 tests @ 40.1

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Also I don't understand why Brendon Kuruppu only played 4 tests despite getting a double hundred on debut vs Hadlee (final average over 50).

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Aravinda de SIlva
Marvan Atapattu
Hashan Tilakaratne
Asanka Gurusinha
Sanath Jayasuriya
Arjuna Ranatunga
Roy Dias

Aravinda comfortably the best, Tilakaratne and Gurusinha both underrated imo, Jayasuriya borderline myth status

DriveClub

International Regular
Aravinda de SIlva
Marvan Atapattu
Hashan Tilakaratne
Asanka Gurusinha
Sanath Jayasuriya
Arjuna Ranatunga
Roy Dias

Aravinda comfortably the best, Tilakaratne and Gurusinha both underrated imo, Jayasuriya borderline myth status
Disagree Sanath has quite a few ridiculous knocks in tests. A lesser version of Sehwag

Teja.

Global Moderator
De SIlva is a real gun. His average suffers a bit (still really good for his era) from having such a long career but so many awesome innings and series. A great of the game.

Asanka has a really well rounded record and seems like an excellent batsman. He debuted when he was barely 18 and retired at the prime of his career when he was just 30 because he was playing club cricket in Australia and refused to come home to SL for team practice. I presume this was due to the financial problems with playing for SL back in the day. Shame because he had several easier years ahead of him if he continued playing tests.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aravinda was so good. I was talking to my father the other day and he still reckons he's the best bat to come out of SL, averages be damned (I did tell him Sangakkara averages 56+).

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Aravinda was so good. I was talking to my father the other day and he still reckons he's the best bat to come out of SL, averages be damned (I did tell him Sangakkara averages 56+).
That's exactly what Tony Greig said to when Sanga once on commentary. Something like "no matter how many runs Sangakkara and Mahela score, Arvinda will always be the best Sri Lankan batsman". He was in "you need to watch him to know him" league of players.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
That's exactly what Tony Greig said to when Sanga once on commentary. Something like "no matter how many runs Sangakkara and Mahela score, Arvinda will always be the best Sri Lankan batsman". He was in "you need to watch him to know him" league of players.
A bit like Crowe v Williamson

TheJediBrah

Not going to rank them but going to comment on their overrated/underrated-ness

Roy Dias - inconclusive
Arjuna Ranatunga - overrated
Aravinda de SIlva - overrated (but still very, very good)
Asanka Gurusinha - rated fairly
Hashan Tilakaratne - underrated
Marvan Atapattu - underrated
Sanath Jayasuriya - overrated

morgieb

Aravinda de Silva
Hashan Tillakaratne
Sanath Jayasuriya
Asanka Gurusinha
Marvan Atapattu
Arjuna Ranatunga
Roy Dias

I might be harsh on Dias as I know nothing about him, but his stats are the weakest and I don't see much talk about his reputation or anything.

Aravinda definitely the best, honestly would probably rate him ahead of Jayawardene. Tillakaratne seems pretty under-rated, the openers fairly over-rated.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My only Gurusinha thoughts are of watching him recently in some highlights opening the bowling in a test against NZ off a properly long run. While hardly fast-medium I must say he was definitely quicker than when I've seen him trundling in 90s ODI highlights.

DriveClub

International Regular
My only Gurusinha thoughts are of watching him recently in some highlights opening the bowling in a test against NZ off a properly long run. While hardly fast-medium I must say he was definitely quicker than when I've seen him trundling in 90s ODI highlights.
Might have to do with the weight he put on over time

Isura

U19 Captain
Roy Dias - His stats are not impressive and he only played 20 tests. But he is my dad's favorite batsmen and he knows his cricket.
Arjuna Ranatunga - Just an average test batsmen. Great leader.
Aravinda de SIlva - The most talented batsmen in this group but I feel he didn't reach his potential. He was good enough to average 50.
Asanka Gurusinha - Don't know enough to rate his test game.
Hashan Tilakaratne Impressive stats but the most unremarkable batsmen you would ever likely to meet.
Marvan Atapattu - Solid opening batsmen. Great complement to Sanath.
Sanath Jayasuriya - The most entertaining Sri Lankan batsmen in this group. A more explosive David Warner.