• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rangana Herath or James Anderson?

Who's better - Herath or Anderson?

• Total voters

cnerd123

likes this
Another reason Herath is superior is because you don't see his fans demanding fans from other countries be banned from discussing him.

Spark

Global Moderator
Another reason Herath is superior is because you don't see his fans demanding fans from other countries be banned from discussing him.
That if anything is a point in Anderson's favour if people from other countries can't help but become tedious dickheads when talking about him.

cnerd123

likes this
That if anything is a point in Anderson's favour if people from other countries can't help but become tedious dickheads when talking about him.
I mean, if Anderson wasn't such an overrated green track bully who likes to whinge all the time then maybe other fans wouldn't feel the need to stop English fans from praising him as the Malcolm Marshall re-incarnate he sorely isn't.

Point to Herath IMO.

:ph34r:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Do you even know what ****block means *****???

And why was that thread closed? Clearly there is more discussion needed on the matter.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Do you even know what ****block means *****???

And why was that thread closed? Clearly there is more discussion needed on the matter.
**** me, I just saw that thread. Unbelievable. Imagine a dumb nickname like Clouderson actually getting under your skins.

Harden up princesses. Us Indian fans have been copping Sachin trolling for years, and you blokes can't even handle a few weeks of ribbing on your favourite player who honestly isn't actually even an undisputed ATG or anything.

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Jimmy doesn't even make his country's ATG XI unless you're only judging on longevity (his only redeeming factor). Herath is his country's second greatest bowler and has pushed the Sri Lankan team into further heights even after the retirement of two of their greatest test bats. I know its not all about stats but they basically average the same despite one being a spinner and the other a pacer.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
**** me, I just saw that thread. Unbelievable. Imagine a dumb nickname like Clouderson actually getting under your skins.

Harden up princesses. Us Indian fans have been copping Sachin trolling for years, and you blokes can't even handle a few weeks of ribbing on your favourite player who honestly isn't actually even an undisputed ATG or anything.
It’s worse when you consider that the Anderson trolling will only get worse now the Aussies know that it gets under your skins.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Herath is his country's second greatest bowler
Considering SL have only produced one indisputable ATG (Murali) and one AT quite good (Vaas) this isn't that massive of an achievement. It says more about how shocking SL's bowlers have generally been. As a matter of fact, outside of those three only two other SL bowlers with more than fifteen​ test wickets have averaged under 30.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Considering Sri Lanka only have about a 30 year history of Test cricket compared to countries that have over 100, I would say that producing two of the best spinners of the last 2 decades says a lot about SL's bowling.

Starfighter

Considering Sri Lanka only have about a 30 year history of Test cricket compared to countries that have over 100, I would say that producing two of the best spinners of the last 2 decades says a lot about SL's bowling.
Except they've only produced three very good bowlers in that time, and they're a spin friendly country so I'd expect them to be spin dominated. By the way history doesn't mean all that much - Australia was ridiculously spin dominated in the thirties and has not been at any point since.

Both Anderson and Herath have rubbish away records despite the latter's attempt to rectify his by cleaning up an awful, awful Zimbabwe side and both are gun at home. In the end I'd rather watch Anderson (even though he's a complete prick) because I simply don't find Herath's method that interesting or impressive.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Except they've only produced three very good bowlers in that time, and they're a spin friendly country so I'd expect them to be spin dominated. By the way history doesn't mean all that much - Australia was ridiculously spin dominated in the thirties and has not been at any point since.
It means everything when you are assessing how many great bowlers a country has produced overall. When you are counting the total number of great bowlers produced by a country, the number of years is the number 1 factor.

1 All Time Great bowler
1 Great bowler
1 Very good bowler

over 37 years. I would say its a pretty fair record considering a test nation usually takes 10 years to find it's feet.

Starfighter

That;s not the point of what I was initially saying to Coronis though, and I became a bit sidetracked. Coronis pointed out Herath as being his country's second greatest bowler as being a point in his favour, while Anderson being further back in England's pantheon as a point against him. All I was saying is that their respective places in their country's history have little to do with their ability as bowlers, and that Herath is more prominent mainly due to the lack of quality of SL's bowlers overall. Craig McDermott was probably better than Vaas but he never comes up because we have produced many better bowlers than him.