• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ramnaresh Sarwan vs Yuvraj singh

haroon510

International 12th Man
who is better batsman right now?
who would be better in future?

playing his first test against Pakistan in 2000, ramnaresh sarwan was one of those guys that i was expecting big things from him.. during the way he lost his form but he still manage to have an average of over 38 in 67 test matches and over 44 ( very impersive) in one dayers in 124 odi matches..

Yuvraj singh started his od international career with a fine match wining 84. his farward defince stright shot is just a treat to watch for all the viewers.. for a while he was in competation with mohmmad kaif to make it to the team.. now that kaif is a goner it is his chance and time to shine..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Pretty obvious is this one, IMO. Sarwan by a fair margin now, and probably by a lesser margin in the future - but still Sarwan.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
Sarwan is, at the moment (even though he's injured :D). I think in terms of talent it could get close. If Yuvraj works on his concentration I think he could become a pretty good player. He plays well under pressure, though.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Pretty obvious is this one, IMO. Sarwan by a fair margin now, and probably by a lesser margin in the future - but still Sarwan.
I can't really see how it's by a 'fair margin" now.

Sarwan averages 38 in tests and Yuvraj 33 but it's not like either have set the world on fire.
In ODi's a first glance Sarwan averages 44 to Yuvraj's 36. A fair gap at first glance but let's take the comparsion over the last 50 games.......Yuvraj averages 50.11 to Sarwans 41.73.

I think Yuvraj has improved a hell of a lot as a ODI player which isn't really borne out by his overall average.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sarwan is overrated in Tests due to people's reluctance to take Test stats without Bangladesh, and is pretty well certainly never going to become what he was once hoped to (ie, the next Lara). Nonetheless, Yuvraj Singh is right now nothing more than a bit-part Test player whose career is far from outstanding.

So Sarwan now, and who knows in future. They're both still only in their mid-20s, and surprising things happen sometimes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The big one, yeah. Just thought it'd been ages so people might not mind that tiny one.

Anyway, I'm less sure than I was a few minutes ago, TBH, so have withdrawn the suggestion for the time being (unless you have IP-related information).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Because he's Indian?
What is that supposed to mean? He is an idiot because he has crap temperament. His shot selection in Tests is totally atrocious when facing any type of quality bowling. I would rather have Kaif than Yuvraj in Tests, to be honest.

adharcric

International Coach
What is that supposed to mean? He is an idiot because he has crap temperament. His shot selection in Tests is totally atrocious when facing any type of quality bowling. I would rather have Kaif than Yuvraj in Tests, to be honest.
He has averaged 33 in 11 tests over the past two years. Don't see how you can conclude that he's an idiot from that. Unproven yes, idiot no. Anyways, Sarwan >>> Yuvraj in tests. In ODIs, Yuvraj has averaged 49 and Sarwan 41, over the past two years against non-minnow attacks. No temperament involved there, right?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
In my opinion, 11 Tests is long enough to show if you belong. If he improves from here, fine. But right now, he isn't there. And his mental makeup has a lot to do with it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBF on Manan, I'd not say Yuvraj strikes me as the smartest chap, either. Mind, Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman and Ganguly are always going to make most pale in comparison.

(I hope this isn't working a throwaway line up into some argument? :unsure: )

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
In my opinion, 11 Tests is long enough to show if you belong. If he improves from here, fine. But right now, he isn't there. And his mental makeup has a lot to do with it.
Not to suggest that Yuvraj is anywhere near the class of Tendulkar, but after 11 matches, Yuvraj averaged just 2 runs below Tendulkar (after similar circumstances). Of course, there are many factors to consider, such as quality of opposition and whatnot, but I'm sure there were doubts over Sachin then (even if he held the school record with Kambli) even if they were little ones. My point is that 11 matches may not really be enough to judge a player, so you should tread carefully there.

Yuvraj, though, hasn't really shown the temperament at test level. To claim, however, that he does not have the mental makeup to take the pressure at the highest level is not accurate, in my opinion. Yuvraj has probably guided India through to more victories after a middle-order collapse in ODI cricket than any other in the few years he's been a regular in the Indian line-up. So he can certainly concentrate; it seems what he is lacking more than anything is patience to build a long innings. I think he can certainly grow to acquire that trait and he is currently in the team because he is perceived to have enough talent, and just requires to harness it properly.