• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rahul Dravid

Majin

International Debutant
Hey, So like i'm writing an article about Dravid for my college course, and I need to get some "Public Opinion" about him, so If you guys could just like, discuss Dravid (and his obvious awesomeness. 0:}), I'd be grateful. How do you rate him? What are his strenghs/weakness's in your eyes? Would you have him in your team? Is he the best Indian batsman in the team at the moment? Anything along those lines would be much appreciated, thanks.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Cricinfo profile

Rahul Dravid, a cricketer who seamlessly blends an old-world classicism with a new-age professionalism, is the best No. 3 batsman to play for India – and might even be considered one of the best ever by the time his career is done. He already averages around 60 at that position, more than any regular No. 3 batsman in the game’s history, barring Don Bradman. Unusually for an Indian batsman, he also averages more overseas – around 60, again – than at home. But impressive as his statistics are, they cannot represent the extent of his importance to India, or the beauty of his batsmanship.

When Dravid began playing Test cricket, he was quickly stereotyped as a technically correct player capable of stonewalling against the best attacks – his early nickname was ‘The Wall’ – but of little else. As the years went by, though, Dravid, a sincere batsman who brought humility and a deep intelligence to his study of the game, grew in stature, finally reaching full blossom under Sourav Ganguly’s captaincy. As a New India emerged, so did a new Dravid: first, he put on the wicketkeeping gloves in one-dayers, and transformed himself into an astute finisher in the middle-order; then, he strung together a series of awe-inspiring performances in Test matches, as India crept closer and closer to their quest of an overseas series win.

Dravid’s golden phase began, arguably, in Kolkata 2001, with a supporting act, when he made 180 to supplement VVS Laxman’s classic effort of 281 against Australia. But from then on, Dravid became India’s most valuable player, saving them Tests at Port Elizabeth, Georgetown and Trent Bridge, winning them Tests at Headlingley, Adelaide, Kandy and Rawalpindi. At one point during this run, he carved up four centuries in successive innings, and hit four double-centuries in the space of 15 Tests, including in historic away-wins at Adelaide and Rawalpindi. As India finished off the 2004 Pakistan tour on a winning note, on the back of Dravid’s epic 270, his average crept past Sachin Tendulkar’s – and it seemed no aberration.

Dravid’s amazing run was no triumph of substance over style, though, for he has plenty of both. A classical strokeplayer who plays every shot in the book, he often outscores team-mates like Tendulkar and Laxman in the course of partnerships with them, and while his pulling and cover-driving is especially breathtaking, he has every other shot in the book as well. He is both an artist and a craftsman, repeatedly constructing innings that stand out not merely for the beauty of their execution, but for the context in which they come. By the time he entered his 30s, Dravid was already in the pantheon of great Indian batsmen, alongside Merchant, Tendulkar and Sunil Gavaskar. What else could he achieve? Anything.

Majin

International Debutant
I don't need his profile (I already have it), I need your own personal opinions of him.

masterblaster

International Captain
Driven, Determined, Intense, Intelligent and with plenty of Integrity. Rahul Dravid for me is the ultimate team man. The man lives and breathes cricket, and his batting as already stated is a work of art in itself.

A master craftsman, a man who will sacrifice any part of his cricket and himself for the teams cause. Rahul Dravid, one of the greatest number 3 batsmen, the world has ever seen, and one of the greatest 'classical' type batsmen the world has ever produced.

Rahul Dravid a true blue MVP

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
I Like Dravid, a great competitor, determined as hell and a really nice guy from what ive seen of him.

plays some top class cricket as well ;)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The man is what cricket is truly about. He's a team player, a nice guy and one of the most talented batsman going around today. His grit and determination is what makes him so great, and he gives so much to the his country, always doing what's best for the team and not himself. Underappreciated and overlooked for so long, it's great to see Rahul Dravid finally get the attention and acclamation he deserves.

:)

ReallyCrazy

Banned
When I first hear the word DRAVID, I think of reliability. He's a guy you can count on at any time.

I also think he's very hardworking, dedicated, modest and possibly the "nicest" guy in international cricket.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
ReallyCrazy said:
When I first hear the word DRAVID, I think of reliability. He's a guy you can count on at any time.

I also think he's very hardworking, dedicated, modest and possibly the "nicest" guy in international cricket.
i couldnt have put it any better myself

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
He's the first bat I would pick in my World XI.

He seems to be a very very determined guy, always gives his best, team man, huge powers of concentration in everything he does. Seems like a guy with high morals and who abides by them.

One of my favourite cricketers in the world.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
1. Immense powers of concentration.
2. Superb all round technique. Very orthodox. His extreme orthodoxy makes him very vulnerable when he tries unorthodox strokes. His rare slogs are doomed for failure but he really doesnt need them, so good is his overall game as long as he plays with a straight bat he is appears infallible.
3. Plays every stroke in the book in copybook style.
4. Least affected by one day cricket of all the major batsmen in the world. The reverse sweep he has started playing recently being the only (totally unwarranted and unrequired) exception.
5. Under-rated slip fielder.
6. Orthodox in game and values making him the one universally loved gentleman cricketer in the world-this is rare today.
7. Modest to a fault.
8. Very tough underneath a deceptively mild exterior.
9. The ultimate team man.
10. A thinking cricketer if ever there was one. This could sometimes be overdone by over analyising his own batting when in a bad patch which, fortunately is very rare.
11. His one weakness is, at times driving off the backfoot with the bat away from the body and not exactly perpenidular. He invariably knicks it back towards the stumps.
12. The only cricketer today who could model for a cricket coaching book for MCC for all the strokes attacking or defensive. PLUS could be a role model for youngsters on how to behave PLUS can be a model for after shaves :D

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
4. Least affected by one day cricket of all the major batsmen in the world. The reverse sweep he has started playing recently being the only (totally unwarranted and unrequired) exception.

dont knock it :@ :@ :@

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Yeah he's also very humble (as some have mentioned). He almost seems embarassed when people complement him!