• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question on ban announcements

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, those threads would still exist, they're just centralised now. If anything, it makes it easier to avoid the mud slinging if you're not up for it. That said, curiosity usually takes over and I take a gander.
I'm sure that was the thinking behind it. I don't think it's worked the way it was intended.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You absolutely vile ****s. You made me take a look at the politics subbie and a perfectly decent day has been ruined.

Howe_zat

Audio File
The politics subforum was a mistake
Nah, those threads would still exist, they're just centralised now. If anything, it makes it easier to avoid the mud slinging if you're not up for it. That said, curiosity usually takes over and I take a gander.
Agree, political discussion was taking over the forum. It's pretty bad now, but that's just the way the culture of the place has gone.

I didn't used to feel judged and mocked by respected members on CW, I do now. Political based jibes and niggles are everywhere whether you're in the political forum or not, and it isn't good natured.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Agree, political discussion was taking over the forum. It's pretty bad now, but that's just the way the culture of the place has gone.

I didn't used to feel judged and mocked by respected members on CW, I do now. Political based jibes and niggles are everywhere whether you're in the political forum or not, and it isn't good natured.

I had ventured a couple of times before but I have mostly given up because politics across the world has descended to the kind of jingoistic "my team vs your team" BS that even sports discussions seem to be better. My view on Indian politics is that it reflects how the society itself has degenerated. Politicians don't come out of nowhere, they are a product of the society and for every bad politcian you see across the world, it is just a reflection of the dropping standards of those societies, mine included. So I just don't see any reason to debate who is less bad out of two or a few really bad politicians.

On another note, I have long felt CW has descended to those levels since 2015 or so as well. I dunno if banning all political discussion will help in anyway either as, having had this forum, and members understanding where each other stands with respect to the political scene, it will just find its way into other discussions again.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Well that's life isn't it, you jam your leg in a crocodile's mouth how are you to know you're going to get bit?

Spark

Global Moderator
Would people appreciate a hard and fast "no politics or religion outside the politics subforum" rule? Would that even work? I know other forums have this kind of rule and it can work well in some circumstances.

One of those circumstances is that people have to actually follow the spirit, not just the letter, of the rule, and not smuggle in coded jokes and trolls that are not technically, literally about politics but are clearly about politics once context is taken into account.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I won't name someone who isn't here to defend himself but I can recall one poster bringing politics into everything to attack someone, 'oh well what would you know, you're xxxx' and to me that sucks

But there are relevant links of politics into everything so a blanket ban to me doesn't work. But if it's brought up without relevance or context I would suggest you already have the rules to deal with that.

Last edited:

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can libertarianism jokes be excluded from this new proposal to execute anyone who dares mention politics outside of the allocated prison yard?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I won't name someone who isn't here to defend himself but I can recall one poster bringing politics into everything to attack someone, 'oh well what would you know, you're xxxx' and to me that sucks

But there are relevant links of politics into everything so a blanket ban to me doesn't work. But if it's brought up without relevance or context I would suggest you already have the rules to deal with that.
Should name him imo. Bloke's a ****. Him ****ing off was one of the best things to have ever happened to the forum.

andmark

International Captain
A passing thought I've had is maybe we need to be better at self-policing ourselves. Like you'll get an unnecessarily hostile political post and the instinct is to respond to the political point being made. Do we simply need to remind ourselves that being a **** is a bigger issue than the debate in question and thus we have to call the person out for it?

Spark

Global Moderator
A passing thought I've had is maybe we need to be better at self-policing ourselves. Like you'll get an unnecessarily hostile political post and the instinct is to respond to the political point being made. Do we simply need to remind ourselves that being a **** is a bigger issue than the debate in question and thus we have to call the person out for it?
This, in general, is the ideal.