• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quarterfinal: Ukraine v England (in Roma, Italia)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Kickoff 3 July, 21.00 local/9pm CEST

H2H (competitive): Ukraine 1 (dead rubber), draw 2, England 2 (the heavily Ukrainian SSR team beating England in 1988 sadly doesn't count)
Euro history: Ukraine never reached last 16; England semifinals 1968 & 1996

Winner plays winner of Czechia v Denmark at Wembley.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I think it's only The Germans who still use The Ukraine, and they are no longer relevant to the tournament.

Besides that, England fans are not only being warned not to travel without tickets, they're also being told they won't be allowed entry even with a ticket. I don't know how many England fans live in Rome so will be allowed in. Unless there's some historical hangover from the old Soviet days I would imagine most Italians or neutrals will support the underdog or already despise England.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
England have any yellow card issues for this game?
No suspensions for the Ukraine game. Maguire, Rice & Phillips would all miss the potential semi final if they get booked in the quarters.

Edit: yep, Foden too as LT says above. The yellows get wiped for the semi final so it's just this game that those with a yellow card hanging over them from an earlier round need to be cautious.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It must be a while since England fielded a couple of MBE's (Sterling and Rashford) in the same squad. At a guess, not since the late 1980s if Shilton and Robson were awarded their gongs whilst still playing. Or if at all. Or since the early 1970s if Moore and Hurst both had gongs at that stage.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
These days people get honours much earlier. The likes of Beckham and Gerrard probably. Shilton and Robson in the 1990 World Cup. 1970 would have been Banks, Moore and Charlton. Banks got his the day before his Pele save. Hurst wasn't until after he retired.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
These days people get honours much earlier. The likes of Beckham and Gerrard probably. Shilton and Robson in the 1990 World Cup. 1970 would have been Banks, Moore and Charlton. Banks got his the day before his Pele save. Hurst wasn't until after he retired.
I'd forgotten that Kane also has an MBE, so that's three of them. I suppose the reason why Rashford and Sterling got theirs so early was that the awards weren't for what they had accomplished on the football field.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I know England fans often have misplaced arrogance. But reading a post on the BBC feed saying that England should leave out all players on yellow cards and give other squad members game time in preparation for the semifinal is bizarre by any standards.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
As long as the coach and players are not making the same assumptions some of the fans and media are.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Mount turns this into a 4 2 4. Grealish gave better balance linking the play up. Now it has to go through Rice and Philips.