• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quarterfinal: Ukraine v England (in Roma, Italia)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's a weird feeling.

I mean, yeah, Ukraine were dog plop, but one can only beat what's in front of one, and it was a thoroughly professional arseholing.

I'm not sure I'm mentally ready for England to be actually good.

Niall

International Coach
It's a weird feeling.

I mean, yeah, Ukraine were dog plop, but one can only beat what's in front of one, and it was a thoroughly professional arseholing.

They have been decent for a few years tbf.

No shame in narrowly losing to that Croatian side in the semi final a few years at all.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Another sad day for world sport. Still, anything that builds the expectation only makes the inevitable disappointment all the more deliciously crushing to the English soul.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Another sad day for world sport. Still, anything that builds the expectation only makes the inevitable disappointment all the more deliciously crushing to the English soul.
Sweetie hope you and family are doing well in lockdown. Brace yourself - think England are gonna be euro champs.

Burgey

Doing very well thank you. Bit of a pseudo-lock down on God's Peninsula tbh. None of that Delta variant crap brought in here yet by lesser blow-ins, thank goodness. Cafes and restaurants still open for takeaways, and of course the magnificent parks and harbourside walks provide for a most efficacious interlude in between work. Fortunately we have a reasonably-equipped, small home gym downstairs here though we are missing the gym, of course.

I also hope you are doing well. Though not as well as me.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's a weird feeling.

That was very like Sweden in the last World Cup wasn't it but Pickford had to make some decent saves in that one so this was even easier.

Denmark does look a pretty similar sort of semi-final to Croatia though..

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Wondered whether you meant to add "combined" on the end ;)
Thanks, but no. Ramsey and Robson with three each. Mind you, as 1966 was before I started watching these games, Southgate's four knock-out wins does equal the total of everyone else that I've seen; Venables' one plus those three under Robson.

I'm so pleased for Southgate. Such a decent and articulate man who, apparently, has had to torrent of abuse directed his way via social media this summer. As have several others in the squad, but apparently he's been the main target. He's probably too sensible to read any of it, but I'm impressed that he's not seen fit to talk at all about 'proving a few people wrong' or anything along those lines. If I ruled the world, he'd be PM once he's had enough of his current job. I wouldn't even care if he turned out out be a Tory; just having someone of his integrity and intelligence leading the country would be a treat.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Thanks, but no. Ramsey and Robson with three each. Mind you, as 1966 was before I started watching these games, Southgate's four knock-out wins does equal the total of everyone else that I've seen; Venables' one plus those three under Robson.
Poor Sven getting two wins struck from the record here

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha. Forgetting that Ecuador game is completely understandable but the Denmark win was a fine victory.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Haha. Forgetting that Ecuador game is completely understandable but the Denmark win was a fine victory.
True on both counts. Even after your previous post, I had to wrack my brain to remember the second one. I'm tempted to blame mrs wp for talking to me about goodness knows what when I was trying to make the original post. But really it's just a another case of old man forgetting stuff.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
That was very like Sweden in the last World Cup wasn't it but Pickford had to make some decent saves in that one so this was even easier.

Denmark does look a pretty similar sort of semi-final to Croatia though..
Yeah, the pessimist in me actually thinks this Denmark are a better XI than Croatia were in 2018. If memory serves they'd needed pens in both the second round (ironically against the Danes) and QFs to get to the semi. Plus, obviously, yer Danes have already beaten us at Wembley this season, Nations League kick and giggle or not.

The optimistic side of me (whose voice is much quieter and timorous) would point out though that this is a better England squad than we had in Russia, and we'd been mildly spawny there against Tunisia and Colombia; only really performing against the God-awful Panamanians and the oddly somnambulant Swedes.

Still fancy us on balance, but it's not going to be the cakewalk the quarters were.

Uppercut

I think Croatia were better on paper but Denmark are better on the pitch.

England are definitely better now too though. Lingard was a key player back then, now he can’t even get in the squad after the best club season of his career.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Agreed about England 2021 vs England 2018. Sterling and Stones are better now than they were three years ago, Shaw is much better than Young and Rice & Phillips offer more control than we saw in 2018. Any of Sancho, Grealish and Saka are better than Ali or Lingard. And Kane's all-round game is probably better than it was in 2018. But perhaps the biggest difference is on the bench, where we have way better options to bring on if we're struggling.

Agreed that Denmark are excellent. Has your view of their players changed since we chatted during the Wales game?

Last edited:

Uppercut

Not really, they still look collectively excellent rather than having any special individual players. Maehle is one who’s stood out but I think that’s more for tactical reasons than because he’s much better than Bale or Ramsey. Wing backs have been a bit of a cheat code in this Euros.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Denmark have had an emotionally and physically draining tournament and also had to travel thousands of miles to the back end of nowhere. They’re all super fit, but it could potentially work in our favour.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah Denmark having to travel from Baku to London vs England going from Rome (plus the lack of travelling England have done generally) works massively in England's favour IMO