• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Progressive A.B. Medal count.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Here is a chance for everyone to place their own votes and predict what the final count will be come the end of the 2005-06 seasons. We have already had 4 games to vote on, so it is a perfect time to start.

Game 1 of voting period.

VB Series 1st Final Australia v Pakistan

Symonds 3 (91)
Lee 2 (3-23)
McGrath 1 (3-34)

Game 2 - VB Series 2nd Final Australia v Pakistan

McGrath 3 (5-27)
Martyn 2 (43)
Hogg 1 (2-63)

Total - McGrath 4(1), Symonds 3(1), Martyn 2, Lee 2, Hogg 1

Game 3 New Zealand v Australia Game 1

McGrath 3 (4-16)
Hayden 2 (71)
Ponting 1 (61)

Total McGrath 7 (2) , Symonds 3(1), Hayden 2, Martyn 2, Lee 2, Hogg 1, Ponting 1

Game 4 New Zealand v Australia Game 2

Hayden 3 (114)
Symonds 2 (13 & 3-41)
Lee 1 (2-28)

Total McGrath 7(2), Hayden 5(1), Symonds 5(1), Lee 3, Martyn 2, Hogg 1, Ponting 1

Mister Wright

Am I being too kind to the bowlers? The people who do the actual voting tend to go for batsman, but then the batsman haven't been that consisent over the 4 games so far.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Good thread Mr.Wright. This should go on for a year.

edit: I think Lee might have got a point in Game 1 of this series.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Game 5 New Zealand v Austalia Game 3.

This is the toughest of the lot.

I'm tempted to give Symonds 3 for his allround game, his runouts were crucial. However I think the voters will go with this:

Clarke 3 (71*)
Lee 2 (2-25)
Symonds 1 (21, 1-38, 2 runouts)

Total:

Total: McGrath 7(2), Symonds 6(1), Hayden 5(1), Lee 5, Clarke 3 (1), Martyn 2, Hogg 1, Ponting 1

Thoughts?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think it will be Clarke, Lee and Hussey (or maybe Clarke, Hussey and Lee) in the this game. Symonds runouts were crucial, but Hussey had an equal part in the partership which won the game. Symonds was just one cog in a good all-rounder bowling and fielding performance.

Mister Wright

Game 6 New Zealand v Austalia Game 4.

Gilchrist 3 (54)
Martyn 2 (65*)
Lee 1 (2-41)

Total: McGrath 7(2), Symonds 6(1), Hayden 5(1), Lee 5, Martyn 4, Clarke 3 (1), Gilchrist 3 (1), Hogg 1, Ponting 1

Thoughts?

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
My pick would be fairly different actually...

I'd have Gilchrist with three, Hopes with two and Martyn with one. Reason being that Martyn's innings, while the biggest in the match, was not exactly game turning. Gilchrist was the man of the match and will therefore get the three AB medal votes (one would assume), and his innings was definitive, as was his top notch captaincy. Hopes had a massive impact on the game by tying one end down with 10 overs in one spell in the middle of the innings, and was the best of the bowlers. He also deserves a bit of credit of being so good on his international debut with his side in trouble.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
My pick would be fairly different actually...

I'd have Gilchrist with three, Hopes with two and Martyn with one. Reason being that Martyn's innings, while the biggest in the match, was not exactly game turning. Gilchrist was the man of the match and will therefore get the three AB medal votes (one would assume), and his innings was definitive, as was his top notch captaincy. Hopes had a massive impact on the game by tying one end down with 10 overs in one spell in the middle of the innings, and was the best of the bowlers. He also deserves a bit of credit of being so good on his international debut with his side in trouble.
Thanks, this is the kind of stuff I am after. I didn't get to see a ball of the match and was just going off the scorecard. If Gilchrist got MOTM he will get the 3 points, I will change that. However, the voting system seems to go on figures rather than 'actual' performance. I will change to Gilchrist, Martyn, Lee.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
Thanks, this is the kind of stuff I am after. I didn't get to see a ball of the match and was just going off the scorecard. If Gilchrist got MOTM he will get the 3 points, I will change that. However, the voting system seems to go on figures rather than 'actual' performance. I will change to Gilchrist, Martyn, Lee.
Well, Hopes had the best eco rate in the game and also got a wicket. I don't see why Lee's 2-41 off 9 is any better than 1-36 off 10, especially considering that both Lee's wickets were at the death from attempted slogs.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
Well, Hopes had the best eco rate in the game and also got a wicket. I don't see why Lee's 2-41 off 9 is any better than 1-36 off 10, especially considering that both Lee's wickets were at the death from attempted slogs.
Well, go for it. I was hoping more people would get involved and do their own count.

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
Another Idea..perhaps we have a poll for player of the match in every match, and one person adds up all the results and reports back. If people like this idea I'll start it tommorow..

Mister Wright

membersstand said:
Another Idea..perhaps we have a poll for player of the match in every match, and one person adds up all the results and reports back. If people like this idea I'll start it tommorow..
That's a lot of threads.

Mister Wright

Game 6 New Zealand v Austalia Game 4.

Ponting 3 (141*)
Gilchrist 2 (91)
Kasprowicz 1 (3-36)

Total: McGrath 7(2), Symonds 6(1), Hayden 5(1), Gilchrist 5 (1), Lee 5, Ponting 4 (1), Martyn 4, Clarke 3 (1), Hogg 1, Kasprowicz 1

Mister Wright

Ok, this kind of died a bit, I'm going to try and recover it, we'll see how I go.

Total after ODI series in N.Z.

A.B. Medalist - Total: McGrath 7(2), Symonds 6(1), Hayden 5(1), Gilchrist 5 (1), Lee 5, Ponting 4 (1), Martyn 4, Clarke 3 (1), Hogg 1, Kasprowicz 1

One Day player of the year: - Total: McGrath 7(2), Symonds 6(1), Hayden 5(1), Gilchrist 5 (1), Lee 5, Ponting 4 (1), Martyn 4, Clarke 3 (1), Hogg 1, Kasprowicz 1

Mister Wright

Game 7 N.Z. v Aust First test

McGrath 3 (6-115 & 1-19)
Gilchrist 2 (121)
Katich 1 (118)

A.B. Medalist - Total: McGrath 10(3), Symonds 6(1), Hayden 5(1), Gilchrist 5 (3), Lee 5, Ponting 4 (1), Martyn 4, Clarke 3 (1), Hogg 1, Kasprowicz 1, Katich 1

Test Player - McGrath 3(1), Gilchirst 2, Katich 1