• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Prodigies who came good and the waste men

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The biggest waste of talent that I have ever seen was a guy I grew up with

Broke every batting record including most runs in a Sydney first grade season and scored 250 against McDermott in state colts in the season that he made his test debut

Only played one fc game and that was as an opening bowler where he took 5 wickets

Just a complete freak who was also a scratch golfer, A grade tennis player, etc

Unfortunately, his home life was a train wreck and that led to some self'destructive behaviour so had his card marked

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Yeah it’s crazy, but it’s still encouraging imo that you can get to the top via different routes.

You’ve got these prodigies who are IDed early, then you have someone like Wasim or Waqar plucked out of a random net session, or someone like McGrath not come down to play grade til later, or a Copeland who was a keeper when he first played grade. One of the good things about the game imho.

They have all these junior pathways here but there’s barely a player who makes it via that system. Shows you how narrow the funnel is.
Waqar was tearing up domestic cricket albeit it was his first season. Imran turned on the telly there was a domestic final on saw Waqar bowl an over called up the chief selector straight away telling him I want this boy attending the next net session with the Pakistan team.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Mohammad Amir

His ban turned him from a potential 400 wicket test bowler @ 25 to a probable 200 wickets bowler @ 30.ofcourse he has no one but to blame himself