• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pro Cycling Thread

Craig

World Traveller
Or Robbie McEwen's new uniform for his team. No more Davitimon-Lotto, instead it will be Predictor-Lotto with "salmon pink" as the colours.

At least he is getting paid well enough to wear it.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
'The main color will be the salmon pink tint that is used for the packaging of the best known product in the Predictor range, the pregnancy test kit," according to the team's website.'

Hahahaha

Matteh

thewizard1o1 said:
Even worse no Koppenberg in the RVV next year :(
Looks like a ridiculous climb though tbf. If even the top cyclists in the world struggle to get up it then it must be a beast. :p

Craig

World Traveller
22% gradient is the steepest part of the climb. In fact it used to be a ploy of teams in the 70's and 80's for team leaders who were in achance of winning the race and with their rivals behind them they would send their team-mates behind him up it so over-geared for it so they would go so slow and fall off and thus blocking the path of the other riders behind them. It is akin to asking somebody to take a dive or if you are a Australian football supporter then Fabio Grosso's dive in the match against Australia in the World Cup :p

Matteh

Plus it's cobbled. :p

Something i read said that only 7 riders (including Tom Boonen) made it up without walking last time, which shows how insane it is.

Matteh

My hill climbing skills are fairly average. They're all short, steep climbs here i live but it was only this summer that i really started to take road bike cycling remotely seriously and i can see a massive improvement between now and then.

Matteh

Bah, why doesn't Floyd Landis actually just admit he was an idiot and stop wasting everyone's time?

Craig

World Traveller
It was kind of no surprise that what happened I mean Perrick Fedrigo (stage 14 winner) knew something was not right he heard of his performance on his breakway to Morzine.

Even if he is not stripped of his title he will have no creditibilty or reputation.

Matteh

Craig said:
It was kind of no surprise that what happened I mean Perrick Fedrigo (stage 14 winner) knew something was not right he heard of his performance on his breakway to Morzine.

Even if he is not stripped of his title he will have no creditibilty or reputation.
Definitely, especially as he was so so much over the limit and given which stage it was, just seems like it can't be put down to an abnormal result.

Ullrich looks likely to sign for a second-rung team for next season. Got to feel for him in a way, unluckily for him his career came along at the same time as Armstrong and so he's always going to have a 'could have' feel about his career.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Matteh said:
Definitely, especially as he was so so much over the limit and given which stage it was, just seems like it can't be put down to an abnormal result.

Ullrich looks likely to sign for a second-rung team for next season. Got to feel for him in a way, unluckily for him his career came along at the same time as Armstrong and so he's always going to have a 'could have' feel about his career.
Not really...had more natural talent then Armstrong and an as strong if not stronger team. Lazy, bad attitude and terrible tactics cost him a lot.

Craig

World Traveller
Personally he should have done the Giro every year for his preparation. In that I mean aim for a TT stage midway through, get over some of the tougher mountain stages in the second week and then pull out (no need to over do it) at around the third week and then go and prepare finally at the Tour of Switzerland.

That said he did have some unfortunate luck along the way.

Matteh

thewizard1o1 said:
Not really...had more natural talent then Armstrong and an as strong if not stronger team. Lazy, bad attitude and terrible tactics cost him a lot.
Exactly the 'Could have' feel. He really should have beaten Armstrong at least once, but for the reasons you said it didn't happen.

Craig

World Traveller
Well Tyler Hamilton has come back with the new Russian-Italian team Tinkoff Credit Systems backed by Russian buisnessman Oleg Tinkoff (who made his fortune from Tinkoff Beer and his chain of resturants).

Other names include Jan Ullrich and Paco (Francisco) Mancebo who is trying to get out of his contract from Ag2r (more like the DS Vincent Lavenu doesn't want him there) have been linked with Tinkoff.

Last edited:

Matteh

Tinkoff have been linked with signing most of those big names accused of drugs shortly before the Tour.

Craig

World Traveller
Well one guy who definatly won't be there - team-mate of Ajelandro Valverde and Oscar Pereiro of Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears - sprinter Isaac Gálvez crashing and being killed in the Gent Six Day track event. He finished 2nd on stage four and 6th on stages one and nine in this years Tour.

Thoughts go to his family, friends, and team-mates.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/nov06/nov27news2

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/6185486.stm

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/nov06/nov26news2