• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pro Cycling Thread

Craig

World Traveller
Good to actually see some British cyclists at top teams for 2007.
Yeah and for the first time in a long time you will have three Brits starting the Tour. Cavendish and or Cummings could get a go in the Vuelta. I don't see anybody they have got to ride for the GC or of any importance to them, so he might get sent along for the experience. Depending who DC decide to send then I can see Cummings being picked as well.

Of course there is Nicole Cooke (who will surely be win the World Championships) :p

Well if you want a rile model of somebody who wins and wins big and is clean then look at her, but then woman's cycling doesn't have the money that the like so Alejandro Valverde or Tom Boonen take home per year (I should add Robbie McEwan took home 1.5m last year and gets 35k for every crit he turns up to Europe, especially he post Tour ones), so the lure of taking drugs isn't as much there because they do it for the love of the sport.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
Tour of Siam
Final General Classification

1 Jai Crawford (Aus) Giant A.R.T 24.04.43
2 Yukihiro Doi (Jpn) Skil Shimano 0.26
3 Will Ford (Aus) Australian National Track Endurance 0.53
4 Koji Fukushima (Jpn) Nippo Meitan 0.56
5 Ghader Mizbani (Irn) Giant A.R.T 1.03
6 Hossein Askari (Irn) Giant A.R.T 1.29
7 Lex Nederlof (Ned) Ruiter Dakkapellen Wielerteam 1.31
8 Kam Po Wong (HKg) Hong Kong Pro Cycling 1.51
9 Yevgeniy Yakovlev (Kaz) Polygon Sweet Nice 1.53
10 Jacob Nielsen (Den) Glud & Marstand Horsens 1.56
11 Hai Jun Ma (Chn) Qinghai Team 1.57
12 Thiijs Zonneveld (Ned) Discovery Channel Marco Polo Team
13 Paul Griffin (Irl) Giant A.R.T
14 Vyascheslav Dyadichkin (Kaz) Polygon Sweet Nice 2.12
15 Pol Nabben (Ned) Discovery Channel Marco Polo Team 2.47
16 Xing Yan Dong (Chn) Discovery Channel Marco Polo Team 2.58
17 Sirous Hashemzadeh (Irn) Azad University 3.15
18 Artemiy Timofeev (Rus) Polygon Sweet Nice 3.21
19 Takashi Miyazawa (Jpn) Nippo Meitan 3.55
20 Iman Suparman (Ina) Benteng Muda Tangerang 3.58

With a name like that he has to be the next big thing in cycling :D

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah and for the first time in a long time you will have three Brits starting the Tour. Cavendish and or Cummings could get a go in the Vuelta. I don't see anybody they have got to ride for the GC or of any importance to them, so he might get sent along for the experience. Depending who DC decide to send then I can see Cummings being picked as well.

Of course there is Nicole Cooke (who will surely be win the World Championships) :p

Well if you want a rile model of somebody who wins and wins big and is clean then look at her, but then woman's cycling doesn't have the money that the like so Alejandro Valverde or Tom Boonen take home per year (I should add Robbie McEwan took home 1.5m last year and gets 35k for every crit he turns up to Europe, especially he post Tour ones), so the lure of taking drugs isn't as much there because they do it for the love of the sport.
Millar, Wiggins, Hammond, Cavendish, Cummings, Wegelius(at a push). Gone are the days of Boardman and Sciandri just scraping by. :D

Can't imagine there's much money for those cyclists doing the continental tours bar those big-names that have dropped down due to age or injury, but then they've made their reputation elsewhere.

Craig

World Traveller
Tour of Siam
Final General Classification

1 Jai Crawford (Aus) Giant A.R.T 24.04.43
2 Yukihiro Doi (Jpn) Skil Shimano 0.26
3 Will Ford (Aus) Australian National Track Endurance 0.53
4 Koji Fukushima (Jpn) Nippo Meitan 0.56
5 Ghader Mizbani (Irn) Giant A.R.T 1.03
6 Hossein Askari (Irn) Giant A.R.T 1.29
7 Lex Nederlof (Ned) Ruiter Dakkapellen Wielerteam 1.31
8 Kam Po Wong (HKg) Hong Kong Pro Cycling 1.51
9 Yevgeniy Yakovlev (Kaz) Polygon Sweet Nice 1.53
10 Jacob Nielsen (Den) Glud & Marstand Horsens 1.56
11 Hai Jun Ma (Chn) Qinghai Team 1.57
12 Thiijs Zonneveld (Ned) Discovery Channel Marco Polo Team
13 Paul Griffin (Irl) Giant A.R.T
14 Vyascheslav Dyadichkin (Kaz) Polygon Sweet Nice 2.12
15 Pol Nabben (Ned) Discovery Channel Marco Polo Team 2.47
16 Xing Yan Dong (Chn) Discovery Channel Marco Polo Team 2.58
17 Sirous Hashemzadeh (Irn) Azad University 3.15
18 Artemiy Timofeev (Rus) Polygon Sweet Nice 3.21
19 Takashi Miyazawa (Jpn) Nippo Meitan 3.55
20 Iman Suparman (Ina) Benteng Muda Tangerang 3.58

With a name like that he has to be the next big thing in cycling :D

Hahaha

Craig

World Traveller
Millar, Wiggins, Hammond, Cavendish, Cummings, Wegelius(at a push). Gone are the days of Boardman and Sciandri just scraping by. :D

Can't imagine there's much money for those cyclists doing the continental tours bar those big-names that have dropped down due to age or injury, but then they've made their reputation elsewhere.
Well technically you can claim to Predictor-Lotto newboy Dario David Cioni (formerly Liguigas) who was born in in Reading and wanted to take out a British racing licenise but the UCI said no after he had represented Italy in the mountain bike.

Cioni has finished 4th in the Giro so I would imagine he will lead them once McEwen goes home at the end of stage 12 and then work for Cadel Evans in the Tour.

Other noteble riders with British passports is the aforementioned Robbie McEwen and Michael Barry.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Well technically you can claim to Predictor-Lotto newboy Dario David Cioni (formerly Liguigas) who was born in in Reading and wanted to take out a British racing licenise but the UCI said no after he had represented Italy in the mountain bike.

Cioni has finished 4th in the Giro so I would imagine he will lead them once McEwen goes home at the end of stage 12 and then work for Cadel Evans in the Tour.

Other noteble riders with British passports is the aforementioned Robbie McEwen and Michael Barry.
It's a good thing the England Cricket Board's rules don't run cycling in England, in other words. :p

Craig

World Traveller
How tiny is Jose Rujano? Riding for Unibet after ending up like Juan Mercado, Michael Rogers, Patrik Sinkewitz and the other stage racers who have been at Quick Step in recent years and have left.

Craig

World Traveller
I see that Jan Ullrich has finally taken a DNA test to prove he had no links whatsoever with Dr Fuentes. Thing is why didn't he do it when this first happened and where is the law suit, because he is found to be innocent he would be a very good chance of winning? Same applies with Basso, Mancebo etc.

IMO if it were me and my name came up and I had nothing to do with it, then I would rip out a hair or spit in a cup to take a DNA test to prove I was innocent right there and then that I'm no cheat.

Sadly though the only winners out of this and the Floyd Landis case is the lawyers.

Craig

World Traveller
Well more news on the aforementioned Ullrich, his mate Oscar Sevilla has joined the small Spanish Continental, Team Relax-Gam Fuenlabrada and Ullrich is likely to join him. Considering they are a near certainty for a wildcard spot into the Vuelta and Ullrich won it 1999 (a consolation prize I guess after missing the '99 Tour), plus the likes of Sevilla, Francisco Mancebo, and Santiago Perez IIRC have all finished on the podium at the Vuelta at some point, that would be hell of a Vuelta line-up :blink:

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Beat Baden Cooke to the line too. Fair effort. Any idea how many stages there are?

Craig

World Traveller
Mickael Larpe - Best Young Rider in the Etoile de Bessèges

Looks more nerd/geek then semi pro cyclist.