• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pro Cycling Thread

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very cycling thing to do, Boonen handed Steegmans(iirc) a win in the TdF last year because he led him out too well.

Craig

World Traveller
Huh. Typical smart-arse Norse & their ruthless exposing of the natives' ignorance of their own literary heritage. :ph34r:

Anyway, according to The Guardian Cavendish spurned the chance of a "historic" third stage win by letting his team mate take the flag ahead of him yesterday.

Would like to think it's a sign he's not a total dickhead, but his team mate calling him "Cavendish" rather than "Mark" doesn't suggest a close relatiionship.
You see that in football though, a manager calls one of his players by his surname, I've seen Wenger, Mourinho and SAF all do it for example. Obviously English isn't Greipel's first language (I assume he gave it in English) it just came out, even if he was speaking in German.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Anyone watch the Alto de El Angliru stage yesterday?!?!

It is obscenely steep for 2km of the stage, from wikipedia.

The top of the climb is 1,570 metres (5,200 ft) above sea level. The total height difference is 1,248 m (4,090 ft). The climb has a length of 12.55 kilometres (7.80 mi), so it has an average 9.9% slope. However, the average, as high as it is, understates the physical and mental demands of the climb.

The first 5 km (3.1 mi) of the climb have an average gradient of 7.6%—a stiff but not overly demanding test for world-class cyclists. The sixth kilometre provides a chance for riders to recuperate, as the gradient in that area is only 2.1%, and even includes a short descent. However, the last half of the climb is far more severe. From the six-kilometre mark to the summit, the average gradient is 13.1%. The steepest part, which has a 23.6% slope, is known as Cueña les Cabres and is located about 3 km (1.9 mi) from the summit. The climb is no easier from this point, as there are two later ramps at gradients of 18 to 21% (sources vary).
It was amazing to watch, the gears they had to use were like 31" jobs, crazy stuff.

Craig

World Traveller
Saw it on TV. It was brutal, you know how fast they were going when you have fans able to keep up with them for more then 10m.

Cloete

International Captain
Saw it on TV. It was brutal, you know how fast they were going when you have fans able to keep up with them for more then 10m.
How'd you see it on TV?!!? I've just been following it all on CN.

Wish I could watch every stage of the Vuelta. Pleased Valverde had a good ride last night though. Bruyneel's comments about Contador romping to yellow at this year's TDF look ever so slightly justifed.

Craig

World Traveller
How'd you see it on TV?!!? I've just been following it all on CN.

Wish I could watch every stage of the Vuelta. Pleased Valverde had a good ride last night though. Bruyneel's comments about Contador romping to yellow at this year's TDF look ever so slightly justifed.
Saw the highlights on SBS.

Craig

World Traveller
See Lance Armstrong will be racing the Tour Down Under next year. Would be pretty good itbt.

Craig

World Traveller
Armstrong signed to Astana....no shock there.
Their Tour team would probably look like:

Alberto Contador
Lance Armstrong
Levi Leipheimer
Andreas Kloden
Haimar Zubeldia
Chris Horner
Assan Bazayev (token Kazakh)
Benjamín Noval
José Luis Rubiera

Their first four riders have all finished in the top 5 in the TDF from 1999 to 2007. Impressive that.