• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pre Tri-Nations Internationals

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Well, where do I start with that performance. 60 minutes of AB dross bookended by 20 minutes of skill and precision.

Obviously, the start was better than expected, and one would have thought we would have run at O'Gara a hell of a lot more after that flimsy attempt of a tackle on Mils. However, the Irish protected him well, and fully deserved their halftime and 60 minute lead.

For far too much of that first half, the ABs were guilty of playing some of the 2003 footy (the ugly stuff) that eventually proved our undoing. In fact, I'd consider Ireland's first 60 minutes to be eeriely similar to Australia in the 2003 RWC semi final - they were feasting on our mistakes as the ABs decided to ignore pick and goes and tried to use the width of the field at every opportunity. I could see the AB reasoning, but the fact was the Irish midfield was shutting everything down and by the time it got out to the wings, the defence closed in around them.

It's all well and good to show a willingness to run the ball - and I had no problems with the general edict to run back from kicks made by the Irish - but we weren't sucking in any forwards by adopting this tactic, and all it did was clutter our backline with forwards.

However, the precision started to return as Henry turned to the bench, while Eddie O'Sullivan stuck with his starting 15. I guess therein lies the difference in depth - perhaps EOS didn't have the same confidence in his bench players.

Brief rundown:

Mils - outstanding at the back. I love the way he runs with the ball in two hands and his sleight of foot when he gets to the line

Howlett - Pretty good - had a bit of work to do to score that first try, but also chased hard and kicked intelligently.

Nonu - classic Nonu. A couple of moments of brilliance, but the rest were failed attempts at further brilliance. His defence got shown up horribly when O'Driscoll scored. If he's the answer at centre, I'm Pauly Shore's lovechild.

Mauger - aside from a kick out on the full, he was pretty solid. However he didn't have much space to work with at times, but did as best he could. Good on defence too.

Rokocoko - looked hungry enough and his timing into the line to set up Muliaina's try was perfect.

McAlister - mostly good, except for the odd lapse. I do enjoy his pace onto the ball - he adds a real ball-running option to his first-five play. But I'm still not convinced his spot is 10.

Kelleher - wasn't bad while he was on. Was choosing his time to snipe at the fringes, unlike Cowan who took it himself too often. Eagerness aside, Cowan did what was expected of him, which was good.

So'oialo - a typical Rodney game. Did the stuff in tight and his fitness told towards the end as he turned up all over the place.

McCaw - was neutralised a bit by the Irish forwards. He may have forced one turnover, but that was about it. Nothing wrong with his game over all though.

Holah - that experiment didn't work. Kaino's impact added a lot more.

Rawlinson - unfortunately continued his Blues form, although the lineout callers could have given him a bit of confidence by giving him a couple of chances at the front. Flavell was mixed when he came on, but cancelled out his penalty with good support play for the final try.

Jack - solid, nothing special. Was beaten by O'Connell on several occasions.

Hayman - what we've come to demand from the bearded colossus. Was all over Horan in the scrum, and was busy on defence. Stay out of the backline though, please.

Mealamu - not sure what the **** was going on with the lineout, but whether the call was being changed partway through and he couldn't hear it, I don't know. Either way, they were a bit of a mess, and he's not his old self around the paddock either - a lack of leg drive.

Dermody - very good debut. Did his job at scrum time and also showed his ability to get around the field, making plenty of tackles with his Highlanders team mate.

For the Irish, I thought Murphy was genuinely dangerous at fullback, O'Driscoll made a fine return to New Zealand soil and was complemented well by D'arcy. Defensive lapses aside, O'Gara's kicking was generally probing.

In the forwards, Leamy tested the ABs at the breakdown, O'Connell showed hints of why he's considered possibly the best forward in the Northern Hemisphere and Best was busy.

Perhaps that match has helped build the match fitness of the Irish, and with no major injuries incurred, I think they're a chance at Eden Park - depending on the AB tactics.

Blaze

Banned
Good summary Voltman. Agree with pretty much everything you said.

I am not a big Nonu fan but surely Rokocoko has to take some of the blame for the BOD miss. Just looked like a horrible mix up in communication between the two to me.

Generally we wern't patient enough with the ball. Way too many 50/50 balls were thrown when we were hard on attack, particuarly by Rokocoko every time he went to deck, although there were other culprits as well.

Mealamu's form is worrying. The Blues captaincy really seems to have affected his game, and his confidence is probably down a bit.

Didn't like what I saw of Rawlinson...

At the end of the day we did well to remain composed and run over the top of a spirited Irish team. It was good to see a contest, not a 30 point thrashing like last time.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa also won 36 to 16, against the Scots for anyone who cares. I don't rate this Australia side at all that is playing tonight, they will probably win back i think some of Connelly selections have been a joke, no Lyons, Morgan and Mitchell. And then Hollies making the starting VX, i expect Blake to have a good game, but i don't rate anyone of the rest of the front row, even if they are the biggest pack in Wallibies history.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Voltman said:
Why? Do the Wallabies have a pie-eater quota they have to keep up?
Under Connelly i wouldn't be surprised...

But i think they are better off giving him a spot and let him develop then has beens like Tune and Staniforth.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Creditable first-half performance from us. With better option taking we could've had a couple of tries; Gregan did superbly to hold up Balshaw & Sanderson throw a shocker of a hail-Mary when the short ball was on.

Varndell looked hopeless under the high-ball (no real surprise there), but showed his pace when he went outside Tuqiri in a flash.

Signs that Oz are starting to get on top at the end of the half tho. Hope we can maintain some respectability.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bit of class from Rathbone there & great awareness from Gerrard to finish. Hope we don't fall away too badly in the last five mins or so.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Possibly slightly harsh on us on the balance of play, but an accurate reflection of the gulf in class. Sadly.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I wasted two hours of my life watching that match. The next hour and half I spent sitting out the front of the house doing nothing was better used.

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Dont rate Varndell. Before the match I was thinking that he could cause a few problems, and apart from that one stop, prop, step and go on Tuquiri, he never really opened up.

Seemed a bit pretty and as if he didn't want to get dirty.

Liked the look of Tait, this was the first I've seen of him, and he looks the goods.

Australia well...ok effort I suppose. Wish Gregan would stop dithering about at the back of the rucks, and Steve Larkham flopped out his proverbial 10 incher as he showed how important he is to Australia.

Craig

World Traveller
Isn't Tait also in the 7's team?

If so I saw him play in the Commonwealth Games and he looked alright.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, Tait is in the England sevens team. Very good in that version of the game, but he doesn't look quite as good with much less space.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was once again very impressed with Ireland tonight, and I thought NZ were better this week than last week but still room for improvement.