• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Possible Indian captains

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I dont think very highly of Rahul Dravid as Captain although most of it has to do it with his performance as stand-in captain. He may well surprise us.

IMO VVS Laxman can be a good captain as well, he has experience of leading his state side, he is level headed and well balanced individual. I dont know how it will work out because he still is ?? in ODIs.

Kumble, same as VVS.

Kaif, is too early to tell, although I rate him very highly but that is mainly due to his success in the u-19 World cup. U-19 and Internationals are different ball games.

Sachin - NO
Sehwag - NO

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
If Mhmd Kaif can first work his way to secure his spot into the test team.. then he would be the ideal person to work on as captain of the indian team , from what i can recall he was the captain of the Indian U 19/21? World Cup winning squad which had likes of Y Singh i think.. and his captaincy skills showed well to guide them through.. why not?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think if Ganguly is not a captain, then he won't make either the test or the ODI side, atleast on current form. So, that leaves the door open for someone like Kaif to come into the side. I would like to see VVS as captain. The India A players rated him very very high as a captain during those days. Even Gavaskar expressed his admiration for VVS as captain. Again, if Sourav is dropped from the ODI side, VVS could take his spot and can become the captain. But the wise choice would be to have Dravid lead the side and make VVS his deputy.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
IF the Challenger series is anything to go by, Sehwag is not the right man for the job.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
Sanz said:
I dont think very highly of Rahul Dravid as Captain although most of it has to do it with his performance as stand-in captain. He may well surprise us.

IMO VVS Laxman can be a good captain as well, he has experience of leading his state side, he is level headed and well balanced individual. I dont know how it will work out because he still is ?? in ODIs.

Kumble, same as VVS.

Kaif, is too early to tell, although I rate him very highly but that is mainly due to his success in the u-19 World cup. U-19 and Internationals are different ball games.

Sachin - NO
Sehwag - NO
i so agree with you

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
lord_of_darkness said:
What about the keeper Kartik?
Oh yeah, there is him as well. Hopefully that was only a suggestion because he ain't got one o the safer spots in the team

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
deeps said:
dravid averages 15 whilst captain.........it seems to affect his batting way too much, we dnt want to bring down a great player like dravid and make him into the next ganguly.
i agree making dravid full time skipper woild more than likely adversely affect indias batting in a huge way and deprive them of their most important batsmen. i belive that the only alternative in the side is kumble, the rest simply do not fit the bill, kaif maybe suited to this role one day but no time soon, in my opinion at this stage in time ganguly is the only man for the job and should be persevered with. he is a great captain and a talented batsman, why change this system? its worked perfectly well, any failures or short comings have not been thr fault of ganguly directly, sacking him would be a sttupid move.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm 100% convinced that Kaif will lead India one day. Obviously now isn't the time, but IMO he has the tools to do so. Leading the Indian team is probably the toughest job in cricket, and it will be interesting to see how the young man will/would handle it.

As far as I'm concerned, if the situation arises where Ganguly is fired/dropped/quits etc. in the next 12 to 18 months, then Dravid should take it. But if Ganguly still has it for that long, Kaif should have cemented a spot in the team by then (then again, Ganguly is the one keeping him out (as well as Yuvraj apparently =-/)).

One thing is for sure, I don't want Sachin with the captaincy. He has the best cricket brain in the team, thats obvious. So he can contribute tactically without the immense pressure of being captain for the 3rd or 4th time. He clearly doesn't want it, why have a captain who doesn't want the job?

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Did u mean to be sarcastic or u actually see potential in the lad?
I see potential in the way as in he is new to the scene.. and he has probably not been affected by politics or any of that sort.. and giving the experienced peers around him etc they could mould him into a captain.. hes a capable batsmen and a good keeper.. he should look to cement his spot in the team..

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
masterblaster said:
It'd be bizarre if Ganguly gets dropped, Mohammad Kaif comes into the side and gets handed the captaincy.

:wacko:
Half of that happened with South Africa. Graeme Smith was not even established in the side, yet, after the World Cup, he was appointed captain.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
honestbharani said:
RSA have not been doing all that well, though.
All of it was due to Graeme Smith's freakish decision-making. In his firs tmatch, he had some medium-pacer opening the bowling with Ntini, with Pollock coming in well in the middle of the innings.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Kumble

He is the only one who, in a crisis, will bat sensibly, for the team, with no personal ambitions as considerations. :sleep:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
The same can be said for Dravid.
Of course Pratyush. I dont think, for a minute, Kumble should lead before Dravid.

I was just letting off my pent up fury at the way indians batted today and how sensibly Kumble batted by contrast. :)