• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Popularity of One day cricket 'Declining'?"

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Twenty20 cricket is about slogging - whether educated or not. ODI cricket is about slogging more so than Test cricket, but it's also about building innings. Quality batsmanship is far more likely to be displayed in an ODI match than it is in a Twenty20 match. Fact.
One thing about Twenty20 that is a big misconception is that it's about slogging. There's a difference between overly aggressive batting, and slogging.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
OK... A COMPREHENSIVE LIST of those of the Twenty20 Is Boring Society TO DATE...

Rich Dickinson
Liam Camps
Zac Gelman
Fraz ?
Rich Edmunds
Swaranjeet Singh
THE Sean
Turbinator (?)
Nemesis27 (?)
16toS (?)
crickhowell (?)
shortpitched713 (?)

Let the message be spread...
Excellent. Updating my sig to reflect newfound sense of belonging.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
One thing about Twenty20 that is a big misconception is that it's about slogging. There's a difference between overly aggressive batting, and slogging.
Hence I referenced "educated slogging", in that it's ultra-aggressive batting. It's batting with the sole intention of attacking, and even if it comprises of intelligent strokeplay, it's still purely attack-minded batting.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Where have you been SJS ? Welcome back !!!!
Thanks Fraz.

I went on a four month long driving holiday in the mountains of the North for 'detoxification' after 35 years of working :)

I finally retired.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
I wouldn't say cricket is losing popularity but it isn't gaining it like other sports like Football. Cricket is a long game and these days everyone's so busy they don't have time to get into it.
Unless you've grown up watching cricket it be pretty hard to like a test match.
well even with all that 20/20 hatred spreading... people say crickets to long to gain popularity as fast as other sports... but then if time is the main problem for cricket not gain popularity faster isn't 20/20 the answer?

Matt79

Global Moderator
What does it benefit us, the current fans of cricket, if they successfully capture a new market by killing the game we love. I don't really care much whether cricket grows in new markets or not - it would be nice if it did, but I find the game quite interesting enough now with the teams involved to not be too upset if we never have another team gain full international status...

Nemesis27

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
20/20 should be an appitiser for the main ODI tournaments, like it is currently, and I like it like that. No more than 2 games per summer I say, wait and see, we will bite off too much and 20/20 will become generic and boring.

I dont think 20/20 is boring, I just think that it should only be played very occasionally, ODI'S are much better IMO.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
What does it benefit us, the current fans of cricket, if they successfully capture a new market by killing the game we love. I don't really care much whether cricket grows in new markets or not - it would be nice if it did, but I find the game quite interesting enough now with the teams involved to not be too upset if we never have another team gain full international status...
Too true. You've been making a lot of quality posts lately, Matt.

Attempts to expand the game are largely a waste of time, IMO. Fondness for a particular sport is usually something one develops from an early age, and what are the chances that American parents (for example) are going to introduce their kids to cricket? Zero. What are the chances that American schools are going to introduce the kids to cricket? Zero.

Matt's right. The game is interesting enough as it is.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
And defend, too. The best bowlers, of course, do both.
Obviously, but the point is that in ODIs bowlers almost never attack in the middle overs. The middle overs simply aren't a contest IMO - both bowlers and batsmen quite happy with 4 or 5 singles an over, with the odd exception.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Too true. You've been making a lot of quality posts lately, Matt.

Attempts to expand the game are largely a waste of time, IMO. Fondness for a particular sport is usually something one develops from an early age, and what are the chances that American parents (for example) are going to introduce their kids to cricket? Zero. What are the chances that American schools are going to introduce the kids to cricket? Zero.

Matt's right. The game is interesting enough as it is.
"It is time to stop wrecking the game we do have in vain pursuit of the one we don't".

One of the best quotes of recent years, not least because it applies to several areas of the game, though in this case was referring to expansionism.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
In both formats there are periods of play particularly conducive to building innings though. And in these periods the field does relax and lesser bowlers are used. Of course it's more so in ODI cricket than in Test cricket, but the basic principles are still the same. Twenty20 cricket is about slogging - whether educated or not. ODI cricket is about slogging more so than Test cricket, but it's also about building innings. Quality batsmanship is far more likely to be displayed in an ODI match than it is in a Twenty20 match. Fact.
Disagree. With exceptions, the most successful batsmen (in England at least) have generally been those who have played proper cricket shots more often.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Obviously, but the point is that in ODIs bowlers almost never attack in the middle overs. The middle overs simply aren't a contest IMO - both bowlers and batsmen quite happy with 4 or 5 singles an over, with the odd exception.
ODI bowlers currently attack far, far too often! That's one of the reasons for such absurdly high scores of late, the lack of quality defensive bowlers.