• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool C - Wales, Australia, Fiji, Georgia, Portugal

Who will qualify from the group?

• Wales

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Australia

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Fiji

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Georgia

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Portugal

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ripper868

International Coach
Never understood why you actively cheer against Aus in rugby.

I get your whole silver spoon thing about the game in general, but just don't understand where the joy in seeing your own national team fail comes from.

You must be the happiest bloke about though given how **** we've been for 20 odd years though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Never understood why you actively cheer against Aus in rugby.

I get your whole silver spoon thing about the game in general, but just don't understand where the joy in seeing your own national team fail comes from.

You must be the happiest bloke about though given how **** we've been for 20 odd years though.
I know a couple of pretty diehard rugby league fans who actively cheer against Australia in both union and soccer just because they see the success of those sports here to be 'competition' in a way. The worse the Wallabies and the Socceroos are the better it is for the sport they actually care about.

I think it's just a class warfare thing from Burgey of inner west eye fillet dinner fame though.

Molehill

International Captain
I know a couple of pretty diehard rugby league fans who actively cheer against Australia in both union and soccer just because they see the success of those sports here to be 'competition' in a way. The worse the Wallabies and the Socceroos are the better it is for the sport they actually care about.
That's weird but probably sums up why Australia are the best team, the only country that takes it properly seriously it seems. Can't be too much crossover between NRL and Socceroos though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That's weird but probably sums up why Australia are the best team, the only country that takes it properly seriously it seems. Can't be too much crossover between NRL and Socceroos though.
I don't mean direct crossover between adult pro athlete code-swappers, I mean general popularity of the sport. If the Socceroos and Wallabies are more successful then more kids will choose to play and follow those sports which could cannibalise the culture and strength of the sport they actually care about in the future.

There are two Sydney AFL teams that I kind of death-ride for the same reason.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Not seen Eddie Jones lose his cool this much in a press conference before, pressure obviously getting to him.

ripper868

International Coach
Eddie's always been crap with press, especially when he's got his back up against it. His way is always to deflect etc when things aren't going well.

The wallabies are a hiding to nothing really, and having the attack coach resign (for whatever reasons) at this stage isn't exactly ideal.

James

Cricket Web Owner
You could still see Australia making a semi-final couldn't you given their side of the draw? That would surely be classed as a successful tournament.

ripper868

International Coach
Oh for sure, but even if they do get there, or to the final, it matters nought, because they (should) be on the weaker side of the draw and any of team w,x,y,z on the other side of the draw would have bundled them out at the quarters.

With any luck it's a lesson to World Rugby to do the draw 12 months out instead of 3 years...if at all possible with logistics etc.

Molehill

International Captain
With any luck it's a lesson to World Rugby to do the draw 12 months out instead of 3 years...if at all possible with logistics etc.
I doubt it, they got the hosts bungled out in 2015 when 3 of the top 6 teams ended up in the same group.....nothing has changed since then, hence the SA, Ireland, Scotland group.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not seen Eddie Jones lose his cool this much in a press conference before, pressure obviously getting to him.

Flog coach
In charge of a flog team
On behalf of a flog peak sporting body.

May they fail gloriously and completely, and be home by 11 October.

ripper868

International Coach
With what Fiji are serving up to the French right now, there's every chance its Aus and Wales fighting for 2nd in this group...

Ex-eel Radraarrdaraaa doing his bit

James

Cricket Web Owner
100%, this should be a cracking World Cup I think with how close the teams are. We're certainly due some upsets throughout the tournament.

I think it plays into Fiji's hands having Wales and Australia up front as well

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Eddie is just doing Eddie stuff - playing the victim and putting all the focus upon himself

Niall

International Coach
This group is so messy, I think Fiji may have been around 4/1 or bigger v Wales not long ago and you will be lucky to get 2/1 now which is understandable. You look at the draw and this is as good as chance as they ever had of getting to a semi final IMO.

ripper868

International Coach
Yep, Wales v Australia on the 24th could be the loser goes home match if Fiji play like they are currently.

EDIT: and of course the possibility of them all getting 1 win vs each other aking the 'blowout' games v Georgia and Portugal even more important...but also can't write off Georgia here.