• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting to break all batting Records

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
After 142 and 49 in the last match, Ponting's test average is up to 59.99. It actually got to 60.07 after his first innings, but the 49 in the second dig dragged it back down below the 60 mark. If he has a decent third test, he'll become the first player ever to average over 60 from 100+ tests, and needless to say he also has the highest average, aggregate and number of centuries for a player with his number of innings.

Another interesting tidbit is his runs for 2006. Ponting has raced along to 1249 now, from 8 tests in the year. Chances are he's too far back to catch Yousuf, as he needs 540 runs, but with 447 in his last two tests and two more to come he could possibly get close. IIRC, Yousuf was a similar sort of distance behind Richards when he had two tests left against the West Indies, though Ponting has better opposition. He's also equalled the old record for centuries in a year that Yousuf broke, with 7 in 8 tests for the year, and has 10 in his last 13 tests. He'll need two more in the next two tests to catch Yousuf there.

It's quite remarkable that two players have had such amazing years at the same time. Before this year, the 1500 run barrier had only been broken three times (and by two players), but if Ponting makes 251 in his next two tests we'll have two in the same season.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
I sure hope he doenst, id like to believe stats factor into ones greatness somewhat, and if thats the case, lara and tendulkar should possess all the records

aussie tragic

International Captain
mohammad16 said:
I sure hope he doenst, id like to believe stats factor into ones greatness somewhat, and if thats the case, lara and tendulkar should possess all the records
:-O Umm, Ponting has a better average, better 100/Inn rate and has more runs than both of them at his equivalent innings....so what's your point?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie tragic said:
:-O Umm, Ponting has a better average, better 100/Inn rate and has more runs than both of them at his equivalent innings....so what's your point?
They were still the better players in their prime. He's coming close with every test though.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I don't think that Ponting will ever be quite as good as Tendulkar or Lara in his prime, although he will be very close. Lara at his prime had an aura about him which meant that he was as close to ever getting out as Bradman was; next to 0. I remember watching Lara, and just knowing that he was going to make a hundred, and turn it into a big one at one stage. There was no ifs or buts, you just knew it. Tendulkar might not make the huge scored that Lara did, but he is no less effective. Although it's very close, I can see ways to get Ponting out when he is in the form of his life, Lara, no.

aussie tragic

International Captain
PhoenixFire said:
I don't think that Ponting will ever be quite as good as Tendulkar or Lara in his prime, although he will be very close.
How can you possible say that when he averages 70.28 over his last 65 Tests, with 26 centuries :@

Now if only the Aussie Selectors picked him late like Hussey, he'd have a test average of 85.43 over his 15 tests or 98.85 over his last 5 :)

PhoenixFire

International Coach
aussie tragic said:
How can you possible say that when he averages 70.28 over his last 65 Tests, with 26 centuries :@

Now if only the Aussie Selectors picked him late like Hussey, he'd have a test average of 85.43 over his 15 tests or 98.85 over his last 5 :)
It's not all about averages, I'm sure that either SRT or Lara average that at one or another point.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
aussie tragic said:
Umm, no they haven't....
Nope they haven't. But Sachin's average was close to 58 not too long ago, as well. Ponting is not at his or Lara's level yet, IMO. Gavaskar and Miandad also averaged 57-58 at one point.

Lets wait till the form leaves him.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
I'm positive that at one point or tuther, Sachin had an average over 60, even if it was for only one day or something.
His highest average was 59.16. So almost the same that Ponting has now. The difference being that his, and Lara, and Waugh's primes were during an era of much better bowling.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'd really hate to see SRT and Lara batting on that Gabba pitch against Harmison, Anderson, Hoggard and Giles. It might get messy. I won't even start on the Indian attack........

Benny2k1

U19 12th Man
mohammad16 said:
Sachin doesnt hold many test records, the only one i can think of is most 100s and Lara/ponting are almost up with him

mohammad16

U19 Captain
aussie tragic said:

why are u considering last 65 tests only
if thats the case yousuf has averaged higher and scored more centuries then ponting
does that mean hes better?? no

it all comes back to how u define greatness
ponting is definitely not at lara or tendulkars level for many reasons below are just a few

tendulkar has played under more pressure, 1 billion people in india and the media make it very tought

both lara and tendulkar have DOMINATED australias best bowlers, ponting never really faced them so its hard to tell

in the most hyped up situations, tendulkar and lara have gone out to actually attack the opposition, eg tendulkar againts pakistan in wc 2003, sure ponting attacks, but its not as authoritative as lara or tendulkar

the way i look at it, lara and tendulkar have given the sort of treatment to the best bowlers in the world that ponting hasnt, look at the way lara has played kaneria, i doubt if ponting could ever do the same

forget averages, its just that natural aura around great players, its just that feeling u get with lara and tendulkar or genius, greatness which u dont get with ponting

Also comparing the primes of these players, when lara or tendulkar used to come to bat in thier prime, there was an unreal anticipation, there was no better sight, just watching them bat amazed the hell out of people
ponting is in his prime right now, but u dont get nowhere near as excited to watch the guy bat as we did with tendulkar or lara

i just dont think ponting can be considered in the same class as lara or tendulkar because they also took entertainment to a whole new level, its also the ability to draw crowds

if it ever happens, itll be VERY obvious, we wont be debating about it

Eclipse

International Debutant
mohammad16 said:
:wacko:

Eclipse

International Debutant
mohammad16 said:
why are u considering last 65 tests only
if thats the case yousuf has averaged higher and scored more centuries then ponting
does that mean hes better?? no

it all comes back to how u define greatness
ponting is definitely not at lara or tendulkars level for many reasons below are just a few

tendulkar has played under more pressure, 1 billion people in india and the media make it very tought

both lara and tendulkar have DOMINATED australias best bowlers, ponting never really faced them so its hard to tell

in the most hyped up situations, tendulkar and lara have gone out to actually attack the opposition, eg tendulkar againts pakistan in wc 2003, sure ponting attacks, but its not as authoritative as lara or tendulkar

the way i look at it, lara and tendulkar have given the sort of treatment to the best bowlers in the world that ponting hasnt, look at the way lara has played kaneria, i doubt if ponting could ever do the same

forget averages, its just that natural aura around great players, its just that feeling u get with lara and tendulkar or genius, greatness which u dont get with ponting

Also comparing the primes of these players, when lara or tendulkar used to come to bat in thier prime, there was an unreal anticipation, there was no better sight, just watching them bat amazed the hell out of people
ponting is in his prime right now, but u dont get nowhere near as excited to watch the guy bat as we did with tendulkar or lara

i just dont think ponting can be considered in the same class as lara or tendulkar because they also took entertainment to a whole new level, its also the ability to draw crowds

if it ever happens, itll be VERY obvious, we wont be debating about it
what rubbish.

you could make arguments for the both being greater than Ponting but i'm afraid your logic in doing so is unbelievable. by that i mean it's flat out wrong.

shortpitched713

International Captain
The first half of that post wasn't bad. Maybe you guys could tell him what is wrong about his post instead of giving throwaway comments like "What rubbish" or "haha".

In particular Lara's ability to dominate spinners has been one thing that puts him far ahead of Ponting.