• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ponting faces Ashes ban

tooextracool

International Coach
alot of people claim that Fleming has in the last few years let Bracewell lead him instead of making his own decisions and that has affected his captaincy in recent years.
As far as ponting is concerned, he has always been an idiot in my book and him continuing to act like an idiot hardly surprises me.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Clapo said:
I will admit that i hadn't taken much notice the amount of draws in there away games, so i suppose in a fashion i may have underrated him. Even so, i felt that with players such as Vettori, Richardson(before retirement) ,Cairns(also) Before retirement), Bond, Astle & Oram NZ should've been able to make a better fist of matches where they have just "played well".
True, there's some talent there, but those are all still (bar Bond) working class cricketers IMO. In that they had to rely a lot more on guts and hard work than natural talent to be successful.

Also, Vettori has been a huge underachiever for most of his career and Bond has been injured for most of his career. It's not as though all five of those players played many (if any) Tests together.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
True, there's some talent there, but those are all still (bar Bond) working class cricketers IMO. In that they had to rely a lot more on guts and hard work than natural talent to be successful.

Also, Vettori has been a huge underachiever for most of his career and Bond has been injured for most of his career. It's not as though all five of those players played many (if any) Tests together.
In Vettorio's case he bowls a little to defensivley IMO. It always seems as if he's bowling to stop runs, and not take wickets (much along the same lines as Boje for SA). If he took a bit more of an aggressive approach he'd be far more dangerous.

I think that Underacheiving may the case for a few of NZ players apart from Vettori though. Oram showed what he was capable of when They toured over here in 04, he was easily their best bat, and their Best Quick.

Fleming, as i've already mentioned has underachieved with the Bat, and Astle doesn't seem to apply himself Often enough, he's got the ability, yet he seems to wander.

Ah well, as long as Australia continues to beat them i don't mind at all ;)

Craig

World Traveller
Clapo said:
In Vettorio's case he bowls a little to defensivley IMO. It always seems as if he's bowling to stop runs, and not take wickets (much along the same lines as Boje for SA). If he took a bit more of an aggressive approach he'd be far more dangerous.

I think that Underacheiving may the case for a few of NZ players apart from Vettori though. Oram showed what he was capable of when They toured over here in 04, he was easily their best bat, and their Best Quick.

Fleming, as i've already mentioned has underachieved with the Bat, and Astle doesn't seem to apply himself Often enough, he's got the ability, yet he seems to wander.

Ah well, as long as Australia continues to beat them i don't mind at all ;)
I thought the same would apply to Craig McMillan.

Johnners

Craig said:
I thought the same would apply to Craig McMillan.
Good point...forgot about him...which i suppose is a testament to his ability to underachieve!!!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Poor Ponting, he's had it rough as captain hasn't he? He sometimes has to deal with not having both McGrath AND Warne together. Forget that other teams would kill for just one of those guys. Forget that other teams would love a ODI batting line-up including Symonds, Clarke, Gilly, Hussey with players such as Martyn, Hayden and Haddin as reserves/fringe players. What about having the greatest opening partnership in tests? Most destructive keeper batsman ever? Hussey walking in his test team and owning? Its just all too tough.

He whinges when he wins, he whinges when he loses, I just don't get it. His behaviour when the opposition are doing well wehen batting is ridiculous,

Mister Wright

Jono said:
Poor Ponting, he's had it rough as captain hasn't he? He sometimes has to deal with not having both McGrath AND Warne together. Forget that other teams would kill for just one of those guys. Forget that other teams would love a ODI batting line-up including Symonds, Clarke, Gilly, Hussey with players such as Martyn, Hayden and Haddin as reserves/fringe players. What about having the greatest opening partnership in tests? Most destructive keeper batsman ever? Hussey walking in his test team and owning? Its just all too tough.

He whinges when he wins, he whinges when he loses, I just don't get it. His behaviour when the opposition are doing well wehen batting is ridiculous,
Top post.

Imagine if he had of played last night, he could have been banned earlier than we all thought.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:

excellent post :)

luffy

International Captain
While i like Ponting as a player i HATE him as a person. He needs to calm down. If he does something again he shuld get a ban he needs it.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Dasa said:
It sometimes varies how quickly these things get decided, are we in some kind of awkward timezone loop, maybe?

I've been trying to see the incident on Youtube, but no luck so far.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Am I right in seeing that it wasn't included in the umpires report?

Be interesting to see what happens next time he acts in a similar manner, will that umpire report it or not?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
It sometimes varies how quickly these things get decided, are we in some kind of awkward timezone loop, maybe?

I've been trying to see the incident on Youtube, but no luck so far.
I think Marc's right and it wasn't reported as dissent. Obviously the match referee can overrule the umpire on that one (like in the Bangladesh incident where the umpire's had no complaint but the referee fined Ponting), but as far as I know he hasn't done that, which means Ponting hasn't been charged with anything.

Obviously it depends a bit on what he said, but I think there might be some leniency shown on purpose because of the unusual nature of the incident Ponting was unhappy with. As far as I know, a player being recalled to the crease without the interference of the opposing captain or fielders is more or less unique.

Slow Love™

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think Marc's right and it wasn't reported as dissent. Obviously the match referee can overrule the umpire on that one (like in the Bangladesh incident where the umpire's had no complaint but the referee fined Ponting), but as far as I know he hasn't done that, which means Ponting hasn't been charged with anything.

Obviously it depends a bit on what he said, but I think there might be some leniency shown on purpose because of the unusual nature of the incident Ponting was unhappy with. As far as I know, a player being recalled to the crease without the interference of the opposing captain or fielders is more or less unique.
That's as may be, although you would have to agree it's a little strange that he'd be extended that leniency upon questioning an umpire's decision again - particularly so soon after the serious warning from Broad and the stated likelihood that his next such offence would bring about a suspension.

Johnners

Yourtube footage see here. A horrible decision, but i can understand why he gave it at first, in the normal speed replay it sounded like a nick, but how Benson handled the situation was fantastic IMO.

According to all the reports i have read, Ponting won't get any punishment for the Incident. In the Courier Mail this morning they had an article on the Incident. Chris Broad reportably said that he saw nothing wrong with the incident, and the umpires had not problem with it. It appears the deciding factor was that Benson called ponting over and initiated their conversation, not ponting walking up to him demanding an explanation.

An extract from the article

A Former England left-hander, Broad has butted heads with Australia before. But he beleives world cricket would be poorer if it was over-sanitised. "Cricket needs it characters and its colour" Broad Said

"There was no problem with Ricky on this occasion because the umpire approached him to tell him he had changed his decision. Ricky did not approach the umpire.

"The umpire instantaneously knew he had made the wrong decision, so he was within his rights to change it and Ricky was informed of that"

Slow Love™

International Captain
Clapo said:
Yourtube footage see here. A horrible decision, but i can understand why he gave it at first, in the normal speed replay it sounded like a nick, but how Benson handled the situation was fantastic IMO.

According to all the reports i have read, Ponting won't get any punishment for the Incident. In the Courier Mail this morning they had an article on the Incident. Chris Broad reportably said that he saw nothing wrong with the incident, and the umpires had not problem with it. It appears the deciding factor was that Benson called ponting over and initiated their conversation, not ponting walking up to him demanding an explanation.

An extract from the article
Thanks for the youtube footage, how did you look it up? I tried just searching under Ricky Ponting, but it wasn't listed there a couple of hours ago. Actually, looking at it, I agree that there's not that much in it (at least between Ponting and the umpire) - most of what he has to say seems directed at Tendulkar.

andyc

Slow Love™ said:
Thanks for the youtube footage, how did you look it up? I tried just searching under Ricky Ponting, but it wasn't listed there a couple of hours ago. Actually, looking at it, I agree that there's not that much in it (at least between Ponting and the umpire) - most of what he has to say seems directed at Tendulkar.
Cause you clearly didn't search for 'Tendulkar & Ponting Crying for each other.'

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Slow Love™ said:
Actually, looking at it, I agree that there's not that much in it (at least between Ponting and the umpire) - most of what he has to say seems directed at Tendulkar.
What you don't see on that video is Ponting describing the decision to Benson's face as 'a disgrace'. I reckon he was let off because, as Faaip mentioned, its a unique scenario. Because correct me if I'm wrong, but if a fielding captain tells an umpire his decision is a disgrace in regular circumstances (lbw not given, wide called incorrectly etc.) you'd be punished.

Last edited: