• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Poll: Current best Batting Line-up?

best Batting lineup in cricket at present?

• Total voters

Sir Alex

Banned
Aussie, I've exhausted my humane potential to argue with you. Seriously mate, you say avg of 42 in 48 tests and 73 in 40 tests (sanga - keeper/non keeper) do not show "fact". then u say Ponting has not diminished in the last few years. He who avgs 44 from 29 test matches with 5 100s since Mcgrath and warne retired is not struggling? Despite the flattest of pitches on offer. I am not saying he should retire. but to suggest he is the best batsman in the world considering those numbers will make even the most hardcore ponting fan laugh his belly out. Thirdly when talking about current form you bring in figures as far as 6 years back which is totally irrelevant. It is called current for a reason dya know? Gambir has scored almost the same no. of runs as katich (perhaps a 100 off seperate them i guess) playing less than 50% of test he has played and averaging more than twice than Katich in the period. And this is discounting minnow like Bangaldesh. I am no more arguing with you. please don't quote mine now, i request.

I propose that we all call aussie Mr. Happypants from now on.
Haha. I think he is far too rigid in his opinions.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Aussie, I've exhausted my humane potential to argue with you.
Thats good exercise...

Seriously mate, you say avg of 42 in 48 tests and 73 in 40 tests (sanga - keeper/non keeper) do not show "fact".
No dont misinterpret. I never disputed it as a statistical fact. I said i dont believe regardless of those facts that Sanga not keeping for SRI means he is not good enough to combining keeping/batting for SRI in tests. But rather given he is now captain & the # 3 batsman, it certainly makes sense for him not to have the pressure of keeping also.

Since i certainly dont think keeping has affected his batting seeing him do the dual role in ODIs very effectively. If he had to take the gloves from P Jayawardene 2moro he would do a very good good keeping keeping to Murali & co as he always did.

then u say Ponting has not diminished in the last few years. He who avgs 44 from 29 test matches with 5 100s since Mcgrath and warne retired is not struggling? Despite the flattest of pitches on offer. I am not saying he should retire. but to suggest he is the best batsman in the world considering those numbers will make even the most hardcore ponting fan laugh his belly out.
Ponting is not in any decline. As i just said unless Ponting has not been showing anyone of these 3 factors:

quote said:
- Being exposed technically (i.e getting out one way all the time)
- Footwork slowing down
- Execution of trademark shots being reduced (eg Ponting not playing his pull shot well)
If he was then one can say without a shadow of doubt the Ponting was passed his peak or whatever. A dimishing great batsman showing those faults is Viv Richards in the last 2-3 years of his career not Ponting.

Let me go through Ponting performances since 2006/07 series by series. Since AFAIC i dont believe for one second you have watched him bat at all in this time. This is just a ridiculous stats argument:

- SRI 07/08. Was hardly needed to bat in this series since AUS batsmen just totally domianted the SRI bowlers. Signs of decline = 0

- IND 07/08. Sharma troubled him with some good deliveries in this series in the first couple of test - that can happen even Pedro Collins had Tendulkar skating once - but that was it. He scored a very good hundred in the last test looking his usual great self. Signs of decline - 0

- WI 08. Stats the series with superb hundred in frist test. The WI bowlers NEVER troubled him. Signs of decline = 0

- IND 08. Conquered his past demonds againts spin. If by your reasoning he was in decline he should have failed here. Signs of decline = 0

- NZ 08. NZ bowled well on a green gabba first test pitch, Ponting & everyone got out cheaply. His second test 79 in Adelaide he basically threw away a hundred when he was batting so beautifully:

cricinfo said:
O'Brien to Ponting, OUT, the bowling change works, O'Brien bangs it in short of a length outside off but the ball doesn't rise as much as Ponting would have expected it to, he shapes to play a booming pull past midwicket but the ball travels quickly off the bottom of the bat straight to Fulton at short midwicket, Ponting mumbles something to O'Brien while walking back

RT Ponting c Fulton b O'Brien 79 (151m 124b 13x4 0x6) SR: 63.70
Signs of decline = 0

SA 08/09 in AUS. Stood up to SA bowlers very well. His battting in melbourne test vs Steyn when he took 10 wickets was only the stuff great batsman can do. Very unlucky not have scored 2 hundreds in that test. Signs of decline = 0

SA 08/09 in SA. No issue here as well. Could have easily scored two hundreds in that series here as well. Signs of decline = 0

Ashes 09. Beautiful hundred in the first test, batted quite solidly for the rest of that series. His stupid run out for 66 in the Oval test probably swung the game ENGs way since he looked set for a hundred while he & Hussey where batting. Signs of decline = 0

Vs WI 09. Like Sharma 07/08. Young Roach a new bowler has bowled well to hit..."new bowler syndrome" nothing more. Ponting has still looked in super touch. When Roach hit in the recent AUS first innings on his hand Ponting responsed by hit 4,6,4 with pull shots basically with one hand before he retired hurt not able to bare the pain. Signs of decline = 0

Now IFFFFFF this shows Ponting is in decline, you are a mad man...

Thirdly when talking about current form you bring in figures as far as 6 years back which is totally irrelevant. It is called current for a reason dya know?
Which part of form is temporary - class is permanent dont you understand??

Gambir has scored almost the same no. of runs as katich (perhaps a 100 off seperate them i guess) playing less than 50% of test he has played and averaging more than twice than Katich in the period. And this is discounting minnow like Bangaldesh..
WTF. Last i checked both Katich & Gambhir made there international returns in 2008. Katich vs WI & Gambhir vs SRI.

Gambhri has averaged 51

- Katich 50

So what if Gambhir has played half of the tests in this time. Katich playing more tests in more all-round conditons (flat decks/bowler friendly conditons & poor attacks/very good attacks) surely proves he is more proven that Gambhir ATM - given that Gambhir has just been smoking poor/average attacks on flat decks. Gambhir's first test againts a quality pace attack since his return will come when the Steyn & co go to India coming up..

I am no more arguing with you. please don't quote mine now, i request.
:laugh: what kind of cry baby story is this. You grow up or rather put me on your ignorne list...bullet

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
awww your rubbish argument has been disproven so now u have resorted to personal insults. All these CWers are this internet tuff talk haaaa.

Plus dont show me no smiley face rass, since i know right now you are pissedddd these are the emotions you should be showing (:mad::censored::furious:)....:laugh:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In one day cricket, yes.

In test cricket, to put it simply, you're wrong.
Haddin's a better test batsman than Dhoni??

I can, at a severe stretch, understand someone holding that opinion, but holding it so strongly as to assert that it's a matter of fact is just odd. Can you remember how each of them fared the last time the two sides faced each other?

pasag

RTDAS
Haddin's a better test batsman than Dhoni??

I can, at a severe stretch, understand someone holding that opinion, but holding it so strongly as to assert that it's a matter of fact is just odd. Can you remember how each of them fared the last time the two sides faced each other?
Haddin haddint really bloomed yet, tbf. There's not much in it.