• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players with full careers who would have had better records in other teams

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
I know but Larwood 1932/33 at 28 years may well be the greatest bowler to ever bowl in Australian Soil. Worth remembering he didn’t have anything the stamina in 28/29 that he later possessed. Given he was just 28 when being virtually forced to retire, I think he could have finished up with lot better stats plus ofc no Bradman. With O’Reilly, Grimmett that would have been a hell of a Bowling Lineup.
He would have done okay, though possibly not toooo much better than McCormick - I don't think he would have been ending up with an average of 25.00. He would have had only half the test opportunities, and much less first-class cricket to build up that stamina you mentioned. I still doubt he would have ended up with a better record.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Too much loser vibes for 90s England for him to succeed. He ends up dropped after the first bad series for Caddick.
Disagree, the volume of test matches that England play in the 90's and early 00's makes it close to impossible for a truly great bowler to not get enough opportunity no matter how bad a few series go.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
He would have done okay, though possibly not toooo much better than McCormick - I don't think he would have been ending up with an average of 25.00. He would have had only half the test opportunities, and much less first-class cricket to build up that stamina you mentioned. I still doubt he would have ended up with a better record.
He wouldn't have had the terrible 1930 Ashes stats (4 wickets @ 73 due to Bradman) damaging his average so much.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He wouldn't have had the terrible 1930 Ashes stats (4 wickets @ 73 due to Bradman) damaging his average so much.
That would certainly help. But conversely, it should be mentioned the Australian wickets of the mid-late twenties were horrible for fast bowling. And he might well have picked up the foot injury he did during 32/33 Ashes earlier. But on the other hand, he would have had a smaller workload (would've needed to find a job though, no pros in those days).

I can see playing a few more tests for a somewhat better average, certainly, but maybe not turning out ATG figures.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Its not like he was blitzing through the other Aussie batsmen either though. And the English had a quality batting lineup too.

Larwood wouldn’t have been as remembered as now though where I think he is among very small no. of quick to reach the immortal level and arguably no.1 in the immortal list. I see him ending up better stats in Australia though, somewhere around 25.

Last edited:

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Kohli playing in Australia during the same timeframe he played for india could be an interesting one, honestly. Not sure exactly how he slots in given smith exist's, but could see him doing really well given how well he's played there not growing up in those conditions. Also means he avoids playing on the sandpit's india started producing at home post 2019.