• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who opened the batting and bowling in the same match

cnerd123

likes this
We'd honestly do no worse as a cricket team if Vijay and Dhawan opened the bowling with their filthy offies. Might even be an improvement.
My friends and I have often thought India should just play 8 batsman + the best gloveman in India + Ashwin and Bhuvi for Tests.

You got guys like Dhawan, Vijay, Raina, Kohli, making up the bowling attack. Could pick Binny too.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Vijay
KL
Pujara
Virat
Dhawan
Rahane
Raina
Saha
Binny
Ashwin
Bhuvi

Bhuvi and Binny to open the bowling. Vijay and Raina to bowl a truckload. Support this 100%

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Vijay
KL
Pujara
Virat
Dhawan
Rahane
Raina
Saha
Binny
Ashwin
Bhuvi

Bhuvi and Binny to open the bowling. Vijay and Raina to bowl a truckload. Support this 100%
We could even cheat a bit and get an allrounder like Nayar or Aparjith or Rasool in.

The gameplan is so simple. Aim to bat only once for some 700+ runs, let Ashwin bowl all day and take 10+ wickets a game, and have the rest support him.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
But the best one might be this:

2nd Test: Pakistan v India at Lahore, Oct 27-Nov 1, 1978 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Yes, that's right. Sunil Gavaskar opening the batting and the bowling. Can't make this **** up.
Gavaskar was the first name that sprang to mind when I saw the thread title. We didn't have TV coverage at the time, but his taking the new ball to bowl round the wicket and running down a good length to rough up the pitch got a bit of coverage in the press when he did it against England, especially as the umpires weren't exactly doing much to stop him.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Gavaskar was the first name that sprang to mind when I saw the thread title. We didn't have TV coverage at the time, but his taking the new ball to bowl round the wicket and running down a good length to rough up the pitch got a bit of coverage in the press when he did it against England, especially as the umpires weren't exactly doing much to stop him.
I was thinking Solkar, although it turns out he only did it the once.
You'll remember Abid Ali, who did it loads of times.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I was thinking Solkar, although it turns out he only did it the once.
You'll remember Abid Ali, who did it loads of times.
I thought of Gavaskar first simply because he had zero merit as a bowler and his taking of the new ball was not very subtle.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
So ****ing filthy that Maxwell has done it in test matches. Australia are a straight up disgrace.

Also, as if we didn't have enough reasons to love him, Dhammika Prasad opened the batting and bowling once vs England.
Remember this. Dilshan wanted a nightwatchman to open to face the 1 over before the end of the day.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neil Johnson did this the entire 1999 world cup, sometimes with Brandes, sometimes with Streak. Olonga always bowled first or second change