• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who got figured out

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He cops it because he was such a dickhead on the field.

Its why players like Sree, Nel and others, when out of form and not performing, will cop more than a quiet player.

Mind you, I think Irani was a joke for various reasons. He is just one of those cricketers I don't like seeing play at international level. By that I mean a combination of:

a) ugly
b) ugly to watch bowl
c) ugly to watch bat
d) acts like a wanker

Was just too much to take.
As Gelman said, I recall crowds even in Australia being thoroughly friendly to him - he's certainly always been thoroughly popular over here. Interesting that you think he acted like a dickhead. :huh:

Many people share your "ugly = crap" feelings, but as I say - think it's merely unfair. Someone like Andrew Flintoff always looked far better, but for many years wasn't in the same league. Likewise Adam Hollioake, and he never even got any better.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Jono said:
He cops it because he was such a dickhead on the field.
And the fact that he came back bowling slow mediums in his last incarnation. Before injuries, he used to get the ball through pretty well, from all reports.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Which last incarnation do you refer to Jack? He hasn't bowled since 2002\03 (as I presume you know) because of his knee injury. Can't remember him having any particular "other" incarnations before then - he was always someone who bowled around about 75mph when I saw, and had always presumed that was the same sort of speed he bowled in VBS 2002\03, though I've never seen any speeds.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Which last incarnation do you refer to Jack? He hasn't bowled since 2002\03 (as I presume you know) because of his knee injury. Can't remember him having any particular "other" incarnations before then - he was always someone who bowled around about 75mph when I saw, and had always presumed that was the same sort of speed he bowled in VBS 2002\03, though I've never seen any speeds.
He was a fair bit slower than that for the mostpart of the VB series actually. He occassionally hit those levels but he generally bowled at around 70mph.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Johnny Gleeson - the mystery spinner from Australia.
Once players got around his mystery he looked ordinary. The fact that he still managed to play 29 test matches shows Australia's lack of spinningoptions in the late sixties. But Mallett should have played more often. They did play both Mallett and Gleeson in many matches.
Gleeson's figuring out was the sole doing of one Barry Anderson Richards. Prior to the 1969/70 series, the Springboks were gathered in their nerve centre, debating in panicked tones the mystifying mystery that was the mystery spinner. No answer could be found and no resolution arrived at, and the panic was fast nearing hysteria-pitch when Richards calmly rose from his seat and, in the most matter-of-fact tone, explained to the assembled disbelievers that, when you saw many fingers wrapped around the leather, it spun this way; when you didn't, it spun that way.

He right, of course. Employing that theory, South African treated Iverson's scion with all the remorseless brutality of a Whig in Commons. Gleeson's nineteen wickets in that series came at the exorbitant average of 38.94. Never again, thereafter, did he do anything worthwhile at highest level.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh: To be figured-out, one has to have something to figure-out!

If batsmen worked-out that you hit the bad delivery to the boundary, then yeah, Sami was figured-out. I'd say he was a more straightforward case of being crap, though, TBH.