• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players that are the most overated by CW posters.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
I know this is a thread about cricketers over-rated, but isn't Barrington terribly under-rated ? He has pretty much the best average among any batsmen who played a considerable amount of time since 1960s (of course till Smith arrived). A player with that impressive a record has to be high quality.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
I know this is a thread about cricketers over-rated, but isn't Barrington terribly under-rated ? He has pretty much the best average among any batsmen who played a considerable amount of time since 1960s (of course till Smith arrived). A player with that impressive a record has to be high quality.
Never saw him play, so can't really speak as to his ability, but I think it's an issue that modern players will certainly have in matching those averages.

Not playing as often is both a pro and a con (in comparison to modern day) for some of the older cricketers. The con is of course that they can't build up form necessarily as easily, but not playing as often or as many matches also offers more of an opportunity for the older cricketers to keep up a higher average.

Ken Barrington's 82 tests had a 58 average. And again, this is of course very selective, but Sachin's career between 1993 and 2002, he played 85 tests for a 62.30 average. Ponting's 87 tests between 1999-2006 yielded a 65.43 average.

In contrast, apart from the first year (1955) where he averaged 17.33 across 2 tests, Ken Barrington's average never once dipped below 40 in any year throughout the remainder of his career. And looking back at my earlier statement, he didn't play THAT many fewer matches than Sachin/Ponting each year (often playing 8-11 vs the 10-14 of the latter two), but basically had a much shorter career.

Modern cricketers play more, they're going to have (more) slumps, and those who play 10-20 years in today's world will inevitably have 2-3 slumps of sustained period of form.

A look at Ken's first class average (533 matches) of 45.63 shows how difficult a very high average is to maintain over an even greater number of matches (though inevitably first class matches will come with the added caveat of players playing too young/too old/out of form etc).

Last edited:

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd say that Barrington tends to get a bit overrated by the stats-worshippers. I've never read about any of his colleagues placing him on such lofty pedestals.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Apparently his low FC stats were due to his county's home ground being the toughest place to bat in England back then

Always found it weird his test stats were so high, and after a fairly large amount of tests too

And I agree with Jimmy, it seems May and Compton are considered to be anecdotally better, but Barrington has the stats in his favour(at least in tests)

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, good call. The Oval had a bit of a reputation back in those days, it's true.

Kenny deserves an absolute shed-load of credit for maintaining such a high average over 82 Tests though. Absolutely immense effort. I don't wanna rag on him too much. He was most certainly a world-class player during his time. JBMAC's thoughts on Barrington would be nice to hear. Having spoken to one of the old codgers at my local cricket club, he rates Barrington very highly as well.

Bolo

State Captain
Barrington is basically Hussey. Sealed a spot in the team very late. Fully developed on arrival. Starts scoring heavily on arrival. Hussey saw his form dip. But if he had ended up averaging several more (arguably as high as barrington), ponting would be thought of as the superior bat. Pontings average suffers from his time as youngster. He maintained standards for many more years. And Hussey was never considered good enough to take Pontings spot.

Bolo

State Captain
It suffers from his having played on too long too.
For sure, a lot. But he retired at the same time and age as Hussey. It makes for an easy overall career average comparisons, as people are doing with barringtons peers.