• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players having crazy transformations later in life

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
WI are a decent bowling side in the last few years but they always fall apart dismally when they come to Aus.
Isn't it an obvious fact to anyone who actually follows test cricket across the world that Windies are a decent bowling side only with the Dukes? Or maybe sometimes their seamers are good with the SG too for a spell or too. But never with the Kookaburra. They really seem to need that prominent seam to get it going off the straight.

peterhrt

U19 Cricketer
Another point about Macartney in 1926 is that he bowled 600 overs on the tour, four times as many as during the dry summer of 1921. In his autobiography he says:

"My contention has always been that every precaution should be taken in choosing a side for England to prepare for a wet season. Therefore the inclusion of a good left-hander [left-arm spinner] can never go amiss. Hornibrook, in my opinion is a good left-hander, and he would have been very useful during the 1926 tour.

I am not remarking on this fact because the tour is over, but because I tried hard for his selection before the team was finally settled. I was the only left-hander in the side, and was therefore called on to bowl rather too much, so that often when my turn came to bat I was too tired to do the side or myself justice."

Macartney was a walker and on occasions was rebuked by teammates, including Trumper, for promptly leaving the crease before the umpire had made a decision.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not sure I agree with the revisionism of Voges. Its a fairly common opinion on CW that the WI are crap at batting but their bowling is decent. So while the WI were/are a weak side Voges had to deal with that part of their side that was test class. A roll call of the Kiwi and Carribean bowlers Voges faced in compiling his astonishing run are Southee, Boult, Henry, Bracewell, Santner, Jerome Taylor, Gabriel, Holder, Roach, Bishoo and Warrican. The pace bowlers are all good. The spinners were decentish enough at international level. That's quite a company of bowlers he dominated and his effort shouldn't be talked down.
Ahhhh... you clearly didn't actually watch any of the Australia vs West Indies series in '15-16 then. "Their bowling is okay" is what we all told ourselves before the series but when it came to the event they were astonishingly bad. Roach in particular plumbed depths I didn't think were possible.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not sure I agree with the revisionism of Voges. Its a fairly common opinion on CW that the WI are crap at batting but their bowling is decent. So while the WI were/are a weak side Voges had to deal with that part of their side that was test class. A roll call of the Kiwi and Carribean bowlers Voges faced in compiling his astonishing run are Southee, Boult, Henry, Bracewell, Santner, Jerome Taylor, Gabriel, Holder, Roach, Bishoo and Warrican. The pace bowlers are all good. The spinners were decentish enough at international level. That's quite a company of bowlers he dominated and his effort shouldn't be talked down.
I agree with your overall point but bro the WI attack in the 2015/16 summer barely bowled club standard

the big bambino

International Captain
Dudes ... bros. They looked bad cause Voges smashed them. Look at their overall record. That's the sort of standard Voges dominated. Though I will say WI away aren't as good as they are at home but that's across all countries and few of their opponents have done as well as Voges.

Molehill

International Captain
I think it's worth pointing out this Test in regards to Voges.

Yes, in most cases he scored runs on flat tracks when plenty of others cashed in too. But he was head and shoulders above everyone in this Test.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it's worth pointing out this Test in regards to Voges.

Yes, in most cases he scored runs on flat tracks when plenty of others cashed in too. But he was head and shoulders above everyone in this Test.
. . .
Also his 130* not out on debut was a remarkable innings in very difficult batting conditions that a lot of incredibly accomplished batsman struggled on. I was awed watching it.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll always judge Voges for not trolling all of cricket by retiring when his Test average was 96.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Another thing about Voges is that he had a stop start limited over career that had long finished before he was called up to the test side.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Ahhhh... you clearly didn't actually watch any of the Australia vs West Indies series in '15-16 then. "Their bowling is okay" is what we all told ourselves before the series but when it came to the event they were astonishingly bad. Roach in particular plumbed depths I didn't think were possible.
Worse than Corey Collymore?