• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player you find hardest to rate

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kagiso Rabada - On the surface, obscenely good stats that should make him a contender for one of the 10-15 best pacers ever. But the majority of times I've watched him bowl in the last 4 years or so, I've felt he's been very very lucky to come away with good figures. Also picks up a lot of weak low impact wickets (like in situations where match result is no longer in doubt). I feel like his legacy as a bowler is going to end up being divisive unless he goes back to having the impact he did earlier in his career.

Graeme Pollock - short career but clearly brilliant player, amazing fc stats, a few Question marks on ability to play a variety of attacks.

Greg Chappell- Brilliant player of fast bowling, but didn't go through the tough away tours his contemporaries did. As someone who values overall value in a career, overseas runs etc. he's a tough one to rank as highly as general consensus.

Steve Waugh - Amazing record against fast bowling during his peak, but batted lower down in a powerful lineup and the sheer number of not outs disgusts me as a filthy RPI believer. Also his lengthy early career struggles are completely ignored when they shouldn't.

Rahul Dravid - Somewhat mediocre record against the best attack, but the single best player of lateral movement I've seen and many iconic innings, often on really tough pitches (a rarity among the 2000s batting greats). Also had a quite prolonged slump in form in the second half of his career.

James Anderson - Aesthetically wonderful, improved in overseas conditions a lot as his career went on but the improvement also cane with reduced bowling workloads which limited his wicket output. But he's brute forced his way into the ATG conversation through unprecedented longevity.

I mean, Barnes is my easy cop out here. Plus any of the older keepers.
You may never find it tough to rate Barnes,

Laker listened to a conversation between George Hirst and Herbert Sutcliffe who apparently did not often agree with each other about cricket, but Laker recalled Sutcliffe being in complete agreement with Hirst's view that "Sydney Barnes was the greatest bowler there has ever been and what's more the greatest bowler there ever will be".

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Laker listened to a conversation between George Hirst and Herbert Sutcliffe who apparently did not often agree with each other about cricket, but Laker recalled Sutcliffe being in complete agreement with Hirst's view that "Sydney Barnes was the greatest bowler there has ever been and what's more the greatest bowler there ever will be".
There's conflicting accounts of what style of bowling Barnes can even be classified into.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah Kallis was not a home bully like Sobers.
I'll concede that The Greatest's record in Pakistan and New Zealand is distinctly ordinary, but in England, Australia and India he was exceptional as, I have no doubt, he would have been in South Africa had he had the opportunity

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

Well if Sutcliffe said it I have to agree at this point right?

shortpitched713

International Captain
Honestly, Tendulkar. In a given match "for the world" I'm always taking Steve Smith or Lara over him. Then again Tendulkar did what he did for 200 matches. It's hard for me to gauge, what to do with that...

Slifer

International Captain
For me spinners outside of Warne, Murali or O'Reilly. Those 3 for me are indisputably atg but what of: Tayfield, Laker, Verity, Underwood?