• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Player Strength and weakness

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Personally I don't think he's that good.
Put him on seaming wickets and he's good, but only for an average of 35-40ish.
Hopefully, given that he's not even 30 yet, we might see a few more of them in the rest of his career.
some of the best players of all time have had problems at one time or another on a seaming pitch

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Of course, there is such thing as an RUD (something no batsman, no matter how good, will ever have a realistic chance of playing) - but still, some get themselves into trouble so often when others don't.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Langeveldt said:
He is the second best timer of a cricket ball I have ever seen... But he does have problems when the ball moves around, and his defence isnt the best...

Maybe not the ideal opener?
Many have suggested that he move to the number 4 spot for Tests.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
ATM not neccesary. The flat wickets mean he's easily good enough as an opener.
If we suddenly (and I mean suddenly) got some nice green seamers all over everywhere and Gibbs started failing all the time, then I'd certainly give consideration to:
Smith
Kirsten
Kallis
Gibbs
McKenzie
etc.
but Kirsten's only got a short time left in him and the risk would be huge as you can't really change your batting order relative to pitch conditions and Smith and Gibbs have proven several times to be rather good at compiling massive partnerships when the road (and the track) is flat.

Craig

World Traveller
What's wrong with Kirsten opening. He would still be opening if I had my way and Smith at 3.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How long will Kirsten be around though? He could probably play for another 5 years, but I'll give him 1-2 tops.

Craig

World Traveller
So do you mean after Kirsten gives the game away? Until then, he would open.

But give credit to Gibbs and SMith they have formed a good combination together.

Swervy

International Captain
Craig said:
So do you mean after Kirsten gives the game away? Until then, he would open.

But give credit to Gibbs and SMith they have formed a good combination together.
too true...if it aint broke....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, but both have been middle-order players all their careers.
Don't assume someone would make a reasonable opener just because he has a good technique. There are more important things.
Anyhow, Gibbs has been an opener all his life; the only way you could find an excuse for moving him down is if there was unquestionably someone else who could do the job as opener. No point making a middle-order player open just for the sake of getting an opener into the middle-order, where he might do better.

Andre

International Regular
Craig said:
Just for the record I did this over a week and this from the last Test they played.
Just a suggestion - holf off on it for a little while, because 1 Test isn't enough to judge with complete certainty. Maybe wait till after a few of the NZ Tests.

Craig

World Traveller
Re: Re: Player Strength and weakness

Andre said:
Just a suggestion - holf off on it for a little while, because 1 Test isn't enough to judge with complete certainty. Maybe wait till after a few of the NZ Tests.
No, no, I should have said that it was the team from the last Test they played.

My error.