• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Placing our bets on "Test Cricket's Young Fab Four"

Which of these "Young Fabbies" will make it the biggest?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
But yes, back injuries are potentially career ending for batters, more than any other injury.

Phil Jaques is another very good batsman who basically had his career ended early by a back injury. So sad too because if not for Langer/Hayden he could have had a fine career.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not to mention that he was personally deeply affected by the Phil Hughes tragedy after which I think he never really regained the hunger for cricket that he had before.
Didn't he ton up in the very next test?

OverratedSanity

Needs to improve overseas. But if he can bash Steyn and Philander like he did in SA, don't see why he can't score runs in Australia and England.

Spark

Global Moderator
I love the bloke, but his away record is roughly comparable to Warner's right now. Way too early to be making predictions about overtaking Root or Kohli.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Way too early to be making predictions about overtaking Root or Kohli.
Yeah but I think that has kinda been the whole point of this thread. The only reason I didn't use QdK instead of ChePu is that he bats at 7 and that will seriously hamper his claims.

vcs

Pujara can do well in swinging conditions like England, I think (though he didn't last time). As long as the track is slow-ish and gives him time to play it late. He would struggle to cope on quick, bouncy wickets.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
with the exception of lords he looked all at sea in england last time round.

it will take a massive improvement for him to get results next time. although anderson and broad may have gone by the time india next rock up.

OverratedSanity

Was fine at Trentbridge and Lord's was a nightmare on the first day. Think he can do it. People with worse techniques have scored runs in those conditions. Just needs some grit, which he has.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea ChePu was just in a poor run of form and in and out of team around the same time as all those overseas tours

I back him to succeed next time around. Same for Ashwin. They just need to stay fit.

cnerd123

likes this
I think ChePu is going to arguably be the more valuable Test batsman than Kohli when all is said and done. Like Dravid vs Sachin.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't disagree with your point, but Clarke isn't a great example.

His long-standing back problems getting worse played a massive part in his retirement/drop in form.
Well, injuries etc can happen to anyone. Really just saying that players peak at different times for different reasons, even if 28-32 is the most common peak period, some players at basically done by their early 30s and others don't decline until much later.