• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick Two Openers for the 1920-39 World Test XI

Pick two openers for the 1920-39 World Test XI

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JBH001

International Regular
Hobbs and Sutcliffe here too, though there is a strong argument for 'The Master' taking the opening birth in the pre WW1 side too. As many, and he himself, have said he was a better batsman pre war than post war. A more attacking batsman on worse pitches.

And yet, two of his greatest knocks came in the post war era - namely his 100 in the second innings on a sticky at the oval in 1926, and a 49 on sticky in Melbourne iirc in 1928- 1929. So maybe, post war is the place for the great man.

(And yes, as Sean, I think, has said, Trumper for all his fame as an opener, averaged better as a no. 5. Maybe a reason for A.C McLaren to open with Grace?)

JBH001

International Regular
No brainer to be honest, Sutcliffe and Hobbs, maybe the best opening partnership of all time.

I don't think there is a maybe about it.
They are the best opening combo of all time - with no real opening combination in touching distance of them.

IIRC, their average was 88 in 38 innings opened together.
Of the 38 innings, 15 were century partnerships and 10 were 50 partnerships.

I think they held the record for most century partnerships for almost 60 years until Haynes and Greenidge passed it. But they took nearly 4 times as many innings to do it.