• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick one of your absolute favourites who disappointed you in International cricket

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Mark Ramprakash.

But he redeemed himself :laugh: :
"In the winter of 2006-07 he astonished team-mates and fans by taking part in Strictly Come Dancing, the BBC TV reality show which had been won the previous year by the much more extrovert Darren Gough. Ramprakash finally did what he hadn't done for England: he conquered his nerves, came out of his shell and rose to the big occasion, scoring a perfect 40 (10/10 from all four judges) for his salsa in the final. And he did it in a range of slinky shirts with not many buttons done up." - cricinfo

Kirkut

International Regular
I don't think Shoaib was interested in bowling if he couldn't bowl that fast tbh. He easily had ATG potential. Ridiculous bowler.
I believe he did not manage himself well, was quite erratic according to Bob Woolmer. He set unrealistic goals sometimes.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Graeme Hick in test cricket. He was scoring FC tons at the best rate since Bradman then had a horror debut series where Ambrose and Walsh targeted him. He adjusted his technique to better handle the short ball and from 93-95 had good series against the Windies and South Africa plus the infamous 98 not out against Australia.

He was a victim of 90's English selectors chopping and changing though and was dropped and recalled around a dozen times. Duncan Fletcher said in his book that if he had been English coach in the 90's he would have always picked Hick and Ramprakash.

thierry henry

International Coach
Yep, as mentioned by many others, Franklin was a huge disappointment. Looked to have really cracked international cricket in 2005-2007, was even starting to show greater consistency in ODI's in his final season.

His action was always very prone to going wonky though. Big tendency to fall away in his delivery stride if his coaches weren't on point. He had a close relationship with Vaughan Johnson who seemed to get the best out of him for a while, but once Johnson moved down to Otago and began the process of ruining Jacob Duffy's nascent career, Franklin just seemed to get bored with putting the hard yards in at the bowling crease and just embraced the futile dream of a becoming a batting allrounder.
It seems ridiculous that we basically just allowed one of our best bowlers to stop bowling properly. So ridiculous that I thought there must have been more to it, but no, it seems like everyone else remembers it just like I do.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It seems ridiculous that we basically just allowed one of our best bowlers to stop bowling properly. So ridiculous that I thought there must have been more to it, but no, it seems like everyone else remembers it just like I do.
He had a bad knee injury after the 2007 World Cup that required him to miss the entirety of the 2007/08 season. Maybe he decided that bowling was too high risk to his career prospects.

thierry henry

International Coach
He had a bad knee injury after the 2007 World Cup that required him to miss the entirety of the 2007/08 season. Maybe he decided that bowling was too high risk to his career prospects.
I know the pitches were slow but still, I remember him bowling that 120kph rubbish during the 2007 World Cup anyway

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Michael Bevan in tests. Can you imagine the rope he'd be given in today's side? He'd legitimately be picked on his test record these days.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
hahah

Context

Him on Atul Sharma

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
hahah

Context

Him on Atul Sharma

LOL, there is a guy on CW with the same name as me(at least that's what I assume from his username) who was talking **** about Atul Sharma.

Also, Pont seems reasonable to me, he was against people overhyping Atul Sharma which is fair. It's a tough situation for him, coz Atul Sharma was just a net bowler, high chances that he would fail and that would also hurt Pont's reputation. Would have been great if Atul Sharma would have ended up like Bumrah(even he was a net bowler and got picked for the Mumbai Indians).

Last edited:

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
James' post closing that thread looks very much like he copy pasted it from an email he received from a lawyer cos it's a different font