• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Parore joins ICL

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
This competition is losing credibility by the second.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4411227a1823.html

Parore joins rebel twenty20 league
Former New Zealand wicketkeeper Adam Parore is ending a six-year retirement to join the rebel Indian Cricket League (ICL) Twenty20 competition.

Parore, who announced his retirement on the eve of the final test against England in Auckland in March 2002, confirmed he has signed a two-year deal to turn out for the Chennai Superstars - winner's of the inaugural ICL last December.

The 37-year-old, who played 78 tests and 179 one-day internationals for New Zealand during a career spanning 12 years joins fellow-former internationals Chris Cairns, Chris Harris, Hamish Marshall, Nathan
Astle, Craig McMillan, Daryl Tuffey and Shane Bond in the unsanctioned competition.

Parore was approached by the ICL last year, about the time Bond was being signed to a deal worth $1 million a year for three seasons, and said the offer was "simply too good to turn down."

The Chennai franchise is coached and captained by former Australian international Michael Bevan and also includes Australian allrounders Stuart Law and Ian Harvey.

England's Chris Read was the wicketkeeper in the inaugural competition.

Parore has only played a couple of low-key matches since he retired to focus on his mortgage broking business, most recently a Twenty20 match for a New Zealand Masters 11 against the under-19 World Cup squad in Hamilton in December.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I hope Parore hasn't put on too much weight since he retired - I'd hate for him to be too fat to play ICL cricket... :ph34r:

slugger

State Vice-Captain
I hope Parore hasn't put on too much weight since he retired - I'd hate for him to be too fat to play ICL cricket... :ph34r:
it didnt look that way in his inerview... this ICL is started to look like US Soccer league.. which goes as far back as Pele playing for NY Cosmos at age 35 - 37 yrs.. and most recently becham for LA age 33 - still there.. the ICL will be a place for the old boys to mix it with the young guns..

Days of Grace

International Captain
he was, but maybe Parore was better.

But, I guess NZers think Parore is an arsehole because he tells them things they don't want to hear. Therefore, they think Smith is the better keeper.

But, McCullum above them both now i.m.o.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
I'm old enough to have watched both the Ian Smith (well, most of it) and Adam Parore eras and I have no doubt that Smithy was by far the better 'keeper. As far as batting goes, Parore may have had infinitely more talent but what did he do with it? Every time he walked out to bat I expected nothing - when Smithy strode out I expected fireworks.

The ICL is looking increasingly like a bad joke. Looks like our Bondy has backed the wrong horse.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm old enough to have watched both the Ian Smith (well, most of it) and Adam Parore eras and I have no doubt that Smithy was by far the better 'keeper. As far as batting goes, Parore may have had inifnitely more talent but what did he do with it? Every time he walked out to bat I expected nothing - when Smithy strode out I expected fireworks.

The ICL is looking increasingly like a bad joke. Looks like our Bondy has backed the wrong horse.
I'll comment on this on a separate article, but ICL getting Bond is proof that they cannot convince any top player who's still in action to join their league. They got Bond, but not Lee or Akhtar or even Dilhara.

ICL is turning into some glorified sort of World Masters tournament.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'll comment on this on a separate article, but ICL getting Bond is proof that they cannot convince any top player who's still in action to join their league. They got Bond, but not Lee or Akhtar or even Dilhara.

ICL is turning into some glorified sort of World Masters tournament.
Please dont mention Dilhara in the same sentence as Bond

TBH,the Kiwi contingennt in the ICL is better than the IPL

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
If you has watched them both - is McCullum a better keeper than either of them?
If you mean in technical terms, I'd say overall he's better than Parore and around the level of Smith, although I do have to say that Parore was very, very good at standing up to the slower bowlers. The only problem with McCullum is his tendency to occasionally make really bad errors like when he dropped Cook the other night.

However, when you consider batting as part of the package; it's McCullum, no question.

Flem274*

123/5
Not strictly true Rich. He's the wicket keeper for the NZ Masters 20/20 team and has been keeping quite respectably to the likes of Nash, Walmsley and Hart. Interestingly enough, Nash and Walmsley can still bowl 135kmh+ which is quite decent. Paroreis quite religious about keeping fit so I guess he's backing his fitness to keep up in order to get that top dollar.

Hope he still does the radio stuff though, he actualy says some pretty smart stuff most of the time its just he suffers from being hated by everyone who doesn't live in Auckland.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not strictly true Rich. He's the wicket keeper for the NZ Masters 20/20 team and has been keeping quite respectably to the likes of Nash, Walmsley and Hart. Interestingly enough, Nash and Walmsley can still bowl 135kmh+ which is quite decent. Paroreis quite religious about keeping fit so I guess he's backing his fitness to keep up in order to get that top dollar.
Haha, right. Thought he'd given-up cricket completely. These Kiwis work in mysterious ways.