• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pakistani fast bowling

Salamuddin

International Debutant
What is with young Pakistanis and their desire to bowl fast ?

I visited Pakistan a few years ago (before Osama bed Linen and his Al Qaeda lads were household names of course) and eight out of ten kids playing street cricket wanyted to be a fast bowler.

Their heroes are invariably Fazal Mahmood, Imran Khan, Wasim Akram, Waqar or Shoaib instead of the likes of Miandad, ul-Haq, Abbas ....

I've visited the Caribbean, South Africa, India and Sri Lanka and you usually get a fair distribution of kids wanting to be batsmen, pacers, spinners, keepers etc.

Only in Pakistan is there this obsession with speed....

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
jamesryfler said:
What is with young Pakistanis and their desire to bowl fast ?

I visited Pakistan a few years ago (before Osama bed Linen and his Al Qaeda lads were household names of course) and eight out of ten kids playing street cricket wanyted to be a fast bowler.

Their heroes are invariably Fazal Mahmood, Imran Khan, Wasim Akram, Waqar or Shoaib instead of the likes of Miandad, ul-Haq, Abbas ....

I've visited the Caribbean, South Africa, India and Sri Lanka and you usually get a fair distribution of kids wanting to be batsmen, pacers, spinners, keepers etc.

Only in Pakistan is there this obsession with speed....
Easy answer - success breeds success - the same reason why Australia has a leggie mine and nobody else has.

The ObL reference was totally unnecessary and could be construed as containing a hidden meaning.

PY

International Coach
Very strange point to make about ObL, not sure how it's relevant.

I would have thought it would be because of the fact that the only people they have had playing consistently well in past 10 years are Waqar and Wasim. And as we all know, people try to emulate their heroes.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I think there's going to be one in England soon when people realise all you need to do to get into the England team is bowl quickly. If they can be bothered with all the work which comes with it of course! :lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
PY said:
I would have thought it would be because of the fact that the only people they have had playing consistently well in past 10 years are Waqar and Wasim. And as we all know, people try to emulate their heroes.
No! No! I want to be just like Inzamam...:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
If your mum asked you to run to the shops there'd be mayhem
He saw how thin I was and wanted to copy me, so that's why he was so slim for the WC...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
He saw how thin I was and wanted to copy me, so that's why he was so slim for the WC...
19 runs from 6 starts.

So slim, he almost fell through the scorer's fingers

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
two words: Imran Khan

Before him everyone wanted to be a batsman in Pakistan. The Pak teams of the 70s boasted very powerful batting lineups, Majid, Sadiq, Mushtaq, Zaheer, Asif etc. and bowlers like Asif Masood got test caps!

Imran's unique personality and charisma has attracted a whole generation towards fast bowling, and now Wasim, Waqar and Shoaib, have done the same. But if it wasnt for Imran, there would not be such obsession with fast bowling in Pakistan.

That is what India needs, one Imran Khan type of fast bowler, and they will produced a plethora of quality fast bowlers.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I know Pakistan's fast bowlers do bowl genuinly fast, but look at their spinners! Saqlain (some people say he is overrated), Kaneria, they do not base their bowling attack completely on fast bowling, but I see your point

Langeveldt

Soutie
I guess its a role model thing...

Are pitches/climate conditions in India and Pakistan similar? How come India cannot produce many quality pacemen and sometimes Pakistan have too many??

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You've hit the nail on the head, Langeveldt - good bowlers (as Wasim, Waqar and Shoaib, and Imran before them, proved) will prevail on all surfaces. It's simply a case of so many boys in India wanting to be Sachin or VVS and Pakistanis wanting to be Youhana and Wasim\Waqar at the same time. How many constant match-turning (if you'll pardon the pun) spinners have Pakistan had? Just one, Abdul Qadir. India have had Bedi, Chandra and Venkat, then Kumble. Saqlain and Harbhajan may have remodelled fingerspin, but both have had rather harder times when confronted with decent pitches.
In India they want to be batsmen about 3\4s, spinners about 1\4; in Pakistan just about 50\50 between bat and seam.

amits

Banned
this is shocking for pak :(:(:(

only fast bowlers will take a team nowhere.

pak needs batsmen as well. these youngsters should try and think of it and try to become a batsman. pakistans batting is going to be total $hit once these current batsman retire :(

in the age-group levels, paks batting is total $hit and any decent bowling attack can bowl them out for less than 200 and ind, sl and nep have shown it in these levels.

paks bowling at any level of cricket is great and their future of fast bowling looks bright, but the future of their batting, god help pakistan

Bouncer

State Regular
No Doubt having hero's like Imran, wasim, Waqar and shoiab to follow will be the biggest influence on young cricketers....I was talking to my brother in MAY 2001 right after Shaoib had destroyed NZ twice in two weeks. He asked me if i see pakistan cricket's future interms of fast bowling bright or not. and i told him..just look at the way shaoib bowled in last couple of weeks...i told him imagine if 5000 high school (out of 150 million which in not very unlikely)kids start idealzing him and try to become fast bowler...Imagine if 100 of them make it to the club level...and after that 15 of them make to first class cricket...and even if 2-5 of them are spotted by PCB. what i meant was that due to the presence of the current fast bowlers as Ideals for young kids there is still good future for pakistani fast bolwers....

another good thing that has happened is the start of the cricketing acadamies by PCB which would assure the spotting the young talent.

SafirXP

Cricket Spectator
i'd like to ask our fellow Pakistani members here... who like fast bowling AND/OR are fast bowlers (self titled ;)) themselves! what REALLY interests you in fast bowling? like what aspect of it?

i've some ideas myself, but would like to check first... :D

FRAZ

International Captain
amits said:
this is shocking for pak :(:(:(

only fast bowlers will take a team nowhere.

pak needs batsmen as well. these youngsters should try and think of it and try to become a batsman. pakistans batting is going to be total $hit once these current batsman retire :(

in the age-group levels, paks batting is total $hit and any decent bowling attack can bowl them out for less than 200 and ind, sl and nep have shown it in these levels.

paks bowling at any level of cricket is great and their future of fast bowling looks bright, but the future of their batting, god help pakistan
NO WONDER YOU ARE BANNED, And which country you follow in cricket mostly ?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
royGilchrist said:
two words: Imran Khan.
You said it Roy. I can honestly tell you that I didn't even care for cricket until Pakistan won the 92 WC (I was 9). And they won the WC because of whom? Mostly fast bowlers were glorified for the win, even though it was a team effort.

But I do believe if Saeed Anwar didn't lose his daughter, he would've stayed a great cricketer and a role model for many, especially after his 194 against India.

Last edited: