• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Opening Ceremony

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Since this is the first WC opening ceremony I'll be watching, because India reaching the finals last time was the thing that sparked my interest in cricket and therefore I didn't watch much cricket before that, how are opening ceremonies usually for the cricket WC.

Fun to watch? Cuz' I am kinda' interested, are most West Indian celebrities going to be performing :unsure:?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've only seen the last two...

In 1999 it was just a brief thing with fireworks before the first game. Yes, fireworks in perfect daylight.

2003 was better in that regard, a decent ceremony the night before the first game with dancers and stuff, and I even think the teams walked around the boundary. Not sure though.

Hoping for something like 2003 again.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
I only remember the 1996 one with all the Laser technology and so forth. Not really looking forward for the opening cermony tho.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
WC99 was notable for the most pathetic opening-ceremony in the history of The World, inkeeping with so much of the terrible organisation of the tournament.

Fortunately, we had some good cricket to take our mind off things - unlike in Champions Trophy 2004.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm, interesting, cause tbh I am really looking forward to the opening ceremony. I hope it's as big as it is in other major sporting events (for ex. olympics).

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Just been advertised as 12 midnight here in South Africa.

We are 2 hrs ahead of the UK, so people can work it out from there. :)
Okay cheers bro :) .

That should be 6 pm here Eastern Time in North America, and it should be the same for Jamaica.

Last edited:

Rich2001

International Captain
It starts at 22:30GMT and is planned to last almost 3 hours! - Will be 45mins longer than the Cape Town effort.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
From what I know, there'll be mostly Caribbean entertainers performing. Also, there'll be singers and dancers. Players will parade too with kids. Don't know the details. I know a couple of people involved and they reckon it'll be good.

adharcric

International Coach
From what I know, there'll be mostly Caribbean entertainers performing. Also, there'll be singers and dancers. Players will parade too with kids. Don't know the details. I know a couple of people involved and they reckon it'll be good.
Hot girls?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
So i should expect to see the likes of Beenie Man, Vybz Kartel, Mad Cobra, Sean Paul etc performing then?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sean Paul's West Indian???

I never knew that!

(I'm not much of a present-day music person)