• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Only 3

Select your three

• Total voters

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
When Bradman played against England in pre-war Tests, Australia lost more matches than they won.
tbf one of those he was injured in the field before he could bat (the 1938 364 game)

But yeah, Australia were lucky they had Bradman, he makes those English sides look much worse than they actually were.

?

If a bad series is ~400 runs in 4 matches I’ll take that every day of the week.
No response @kyear2 ?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
tbf one of those he was injured in the field before he could bat (the 1938 364 game)

But yeah, Australia were lucky they had Bradman, he makes those English sides look much worse than they actually were.

No response @kyear2 ?
We disagree wildly with regards to what Bradman was, so absolutely no need relying or arguing about it.

There's a reason I rate Sachin 2nd all time. Bowlers are impacted by conditions, batsmen are impacted by bowlers, and none of the greats faced better bowling than he did and was as consistent, same with Viv.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
We disagree wildly with regards to what Bradman was, so absolutely no need relying or arguing about it.

There's a reason I rate Sachin 2nd all time. Bowlers are impacted by conditions, batsmen are impacted by bowlers, and none of the greats faced better bowling than he did and was as consistent, same with Viv.
What do you think Bradman was? Alien? Android? Mass hallucination created to get Australia through the Great Depression?

subshakerz

International Coach
Any combo of two ATG bowlers plus Bradman will instantly make your team top tier if not outright no.1. Any other combo doesn't make sense to me.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Then it's more dicey. I would be split between Sobers and Tendulkar. But would definitely play the bowling ARs for their batting.
Would be dicey between Tendulkar and Sobers, but easily the bowling all-rounders ahead of the two better bowlers..... Gotcha.

You're just chosing favorites dude, and that's ok, but let's not pretend that's not what it is.

subshakerz

International Coach
Would be dicey between Tendulkar and Sobers, but easily the bowling all-rounders ahead of the two better bowlers..... Gotcha.

You're just chosing favorites dude, and that's ok, but let's not pretend that's not what it is.
Dude this isn't rocket science. Without Bradman, there is an even more urgent case for lower order batting. I can buy having just two pure pacers if Bradman is around.

And Hadlee isn't my favorite by any stretch. You should know, because I am literally arguing for Marshall over Hadlee as a cricketer in the other thread.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Dude this isn't rocket science. Without Bradman, there is an even more urgent case for lower order batting. I can buy having just two pure pacers if Bradman is around.

And Hadlee isn't my favorite by any stretch. You should know, because I am literally arguing for Marshall over Hadlee as a cricketer in the other thread.
You're saying without Bradman you need them around, 1, no. But 2, you have Bradman and still chose them over better bowlers. And again, that's fine, just don't pretend that it would change, that's who you want to select regardless.

subshakerz

International Coach
You're saying without Bradman you need them around, 1, no. But 2, you have Bradman and still chose them over better bowlers. And again, that's fine, just don't pretend that it would change, that's who you want to select regardless.
To clarify, I had Hadlee and Imran with Bradman under the assumption it would be minnow level players aside from that hence both of their batting roles are important.

With a median side, I would replace Hadlee with Marshall or McGrath. Imran still gets there based on better batting/captaincy.

We dont need to get in another debate on Imran.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
To clarify, I had Hadlee and Imran with Bradman under the assumption it would be minnow level players aside from that hence both of their batting roles are important.

With a median side, I would replace Hadlee with Marshall or McGrath. Imran still gets there based on better batting/captaincy.

But it is a median to above average side, that was stated from the beginning.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year

Heaven forbid.

reyrey

U19 12th Man
Any combo of two ATG bowlers plus Bradman will instantly make your team top tier if not outright no.1. Any other combo doesn't make sense to me.
That's flawed logic. If every game was played on batting friendly tracks then this may have a case, but over a decade this will be extremely unlikely.

On bowler friendly wickets/conditions your average bowler is suddenly a world beater, so your 2 ATG bowlers are now basically no more special than your average bowler. Batting and batting depth in these types of situations is potentially far more important and if your one batting ATG fails to get any runs then your team is probably out for less than a 150.

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
That's flawed logic. If every game was played on batting friendly tracks then this may have a case, but over a decade this will be extremely unlikely.

On bowler friendly wickets/conditions your average bowler is suddenly a world beater, so your 2 ATG bowlers are now basically no more special than your average bowler. Batting and batting depth in these types of situations is potentially far more important and if your one batting ATG fails to get any runs then your team is probably out for less than a 150.
I grant your point but you can err in both directions. However, I dont think even bowler friendly conditions suddenly makes someone worldclass. And we dont know the home conditions so I am assuming they are not batting or bowling friendly, so I will opt to err on being bowling heavy.

reyrey

U19 12th Man
I grant your point but you can err in both directions. However, I dont think even bowler friendly conditions suddenly makes someone worldclass. And we dont know the home conditions so I am assuming they are not batting or bowling friendly, so I will opt to err on being bowling heavy.
I didn't say world class, I said world beater and by that I meant they can bowl teams out just as well as an ATG in favorable conditions. Think medium-fast swing bowlers in swinging conditions. Spinners who don't turn it much in spin friendly conditions etc.

You don't need to know home conditions, because home conditions can be curated to your teams favour. So with your bowling heavy attack what kind of conditions are you going for at home?

subshakerz

International Coach
I didn't say world class, I said world beater and by that I meant they can bowl teams out just as well as an ATG in favorable conditions. Think medium-fast swing bowlers in swinging conditions. Spinners who don't turn it much in spin friendly conditions etc.

You don't need to know home conditions, because home conditions can be curated to your teams favour. So with your bowling heavy attack what kind of conditions are you going for at home?
I think you are assuming that whoever the rest of your attack is will be equally effective in home conditions. I don't see that happening unless in current India or SA.

reyrey

U19 12th Man
I think you are assuming that whoever the rest of your attack is will be equally effective in home conditions. I don't see that happening unless in current India or SA.
That's actually a very logical assumption to make and it's not just restricted to India and SA

Look at West Indies. Holder at home averages 24, (away closer to 40). Gabriel H27 and A38, Roach 22 and 38

England. Chris Woakes H22 and A52. Robinson 20 and 28

Same story with Bangladeshi spinners at Home vs Away. Mehdi 26 and 46, Taijul 28 and 47

Average and even below average bowlers who end up with a lot of Test caps regularly perform better and put up more match winning (world beating) performances at home. This has been the case for at least the 35 years I've watched cricket.