• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One Test Wonders

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Having posted Teams for Australia, England and South Africa comprising players who had never played Tests, I thought it might be interesting to put together team of XI who played just one Test. Their selection is to based on that sole Test appearance rather than on their entire first class career. Here goes:

A One Test Wonder XI

Rodney Redmond (NZ) 107 & 56
Andy Ganteaume (WI) 112
Vic Stollmeyer (WI) 96 (made in 150 minutes)
Stuart Law (A) 54*
Yuvraj of Patalia (I) 24 & 60
Zulqarnain Haider w/k 0 & 88
Mick Malone (A) 46; 5-63 & 1-11
Matthew Nicholson (A) 1-59 & 3-56
Charles Aubrey-Smith (E) 5-19 & 2-42
'Gobo' Ashley (SA) 7-95 (off 43.1 overs)
Charles Marriott (E) 5-37 & 6-59

An interesting line-up. Ganteaume was supposedly dropped because of his poor run rate.
Marriott was a top-class leggie - something that England sides have missed in recent years.

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Andre Adams is worth a mention too - 3-44 and 3-61, and later an outstanding FC performer in England.

tony p

First Class Debutant
in the same match Vic Stollmeyer scored 96, Norman Oldfield of England scored 80 & 19, batting at number 3.

it was his only Test as well, The last before World War 2 at the Oval in August 1939.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I remember watching Zulqarnain Haider's 88 live and thinking Pakistan had their keeper for the next 10 years. It was such an atypical Pakistani innings, so gritty and determined, nothing like a Kamran Akmal knock...

It's a pity what happened to him

Last edited:

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Graham Chevalier, SLA, played 1 Test for S.Africa vs Aus 1970 and captured 5 wkts @ 20 apiece for a win

SillyCowCorner1

A guy like Ted Tyler, who made his debut in 1896, took 4 wickets in his only match. All four wickets went via the caught mode of dismissal.

1 wicket was from the top order
2 wickets were from the middle order
1 wicket was from the tail.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
There is also Greg Loveridge. This NZ legspinner was picked as a 21 year-old for a test debut vs Zimbabwe in 1996 (a season before Vettori debuted v England). He had his hand broken while batting, so retired hurt on 4 and didn't bowl in the match as a result. That was his one and only match for NZ. He is now the general manager of Bob Jones's company and earning crazy money.

SillyCowCorner1

What a change of fortunes...We'd never had gotten Dan Vettori...who I notice is on the list of people you wanna kick...

TheJediBrah

Vettori is living proof that you don't need to be naturally physically gifted to be a top-class athlete

although he is a lot taller than you think

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
That thread is new to me. Looks like some interesting reading.

Re Loveridge I will try to share some links if I have time later. (On phone at the mo).

SillyCowCorner1

That thread is new to me. Looks like some interesting reading.

Re Loveridge I will try to share some links if I have time later. (On phone at the mo).
New to me as well. I don't know how often you frequent the OT.

Oh please do, I look forward to seeing Loveridge.
Much appreciated.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Andy McKay - 1 test, 1 wicket, bowling average of 120.

That wicket belonged to Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar though - not a bad one to get!

Daemon

Vettori is living proof that you don't need to be naturally physically gifted to be a top-class athlete

although he is a lot taller than you think
Plenty of such examples in cricket. Probably more than any other ball sport.

TheJediBrah

Plenty of such examples in cricket. Probably more than any other ball sport.
very true. I'd say less than 5% of sub-continental cricketers look like athletes

Vettori just looked so nerdy

and Steve Smith, best cricketer in the world, has a body that looks like it would struggle to stay upright under normal Earth gravity

don't even get me started on whatever the **** Nathan Lyon is

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
he aged well though

he's also apparently really extroverted and likes to dress with style. he was just cursed to look like what he was not for 25 years.