• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One Test or Series Wonders

the big bambino

International Captain
George Bissett.

A South African fast bowler who toured England in 1924 and broke down before the test series, not playing first class for several years afterwards. He was recalled for the second test in 27/28 on the tenuous basis of performing in a club match and went on to take 25 wickets in four tests, including 7/29 in the final innings of series which SA levelled. He only played two further first class matches with little success.
Went back to the farm and a real job I believe. I think Frank Tyson just about qualifies for this thread.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Nick Cook took 17 wickets at 16.1 in his first two tests at home to NZ in 1983. Thereafter, with one exception in very helpful conditions in Karachi, he was completely ineffective.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Jack Noreiga only played in one series for the West Indies - 1970-1 v India - despite taking 9-95 in the first innings of the 2nd Test, still the best figures for a WI bowler. His second victim of the nine was Gavaskar in his first Test innings. (He dismissed the Indian tail in the 5th Test to get a second five-for, but only took 17 wickets in total).

In the same series, Desmond Lewis played in the last 3 Tests, scoring 81*, 88, 14, 72 and 4* - and he was also never picked again, so finished his career with an average of 86.33.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Godfrey "Goofy" Lawrence played all five Tests for South Africa against NZ in 1961/62 and took 28 wickets at 18 - twice taking nine in a match - and then was never picked again. By the time South Africa played their next Test series - in Australia nearly two years later - he had apparently fallen out of favour.

I came across Goofy in my exercise to apply a Man of the Match award retrospectively to every Test ever (which I promise I will post on here one day), and with two awards in five Tests, his MoM ratio (40%) is the highest ever for anyone who played more than two Tests. Donald who?

As an interesting aside, his son Stephen went on to become a champion Australian Rules footballer and won a premiership with Hawthorn in 1991.

AndrewB

Lawrence still has the best innings figures (8-53) for any South African pace bowler (though he's actually from Zimbabwe - he'd have the record for them as well).

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Lawrence still has the best innings figures (8-53) for any South African pace bowler (though he's actually from Zimbabwe - he'd have the record for them as well).
Indeed, and he seems still to have been successful in the Currie Cup through the mid-'60s - rough not to have been given another gig.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Posted about him here a while back, but I always thought Simon Cook had a very interesting career. Fringe Shield fast bowler for Victoria, injured a lot, barely gets a game, moves to NSW, still injured a lot, still barely gets a game, gets fit again, gets picked for Australia off having 3 wickets at 53 in a couple of Shield games, takes 5 poles second innings on Test dayboo, plays another Test, gets injured yet again, gets run over by a steamroller, comes back to domestix, gets injured some more, drifts out of the First Class game before his 30th birthday

Strange old career that

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Posted about him here a while back, but I always thought Simon Cook had a very interesting career. Fringe Shield fast bowler for Victoria, injured a lot, barely gets a game, moves to NSW, still injured a lot, still barely gets a game, gets fit again, gets picked for Australia off having 3 wickets at 53 in a couple of Shield games, takes 5 poles second innings on Test dayboo, plays another Test, gets injured yet again, gets run over by a steamroller, comes back to domestix, gets injured some more, drifts out of the First Class game before his 30th birthday

Strange old career that
He played Masters T20 for Australia when he was 37 too.

Marius

International Debutant
Barry Richards
The thread is about players that had a good series or Test and never reproduced that form or were left out for some inexplicable reason. Richards never played again because of politics, not because he was ever picked again.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Narendra Hirwani. At 20 debuted vs WI and went on to take 16 wickets in that match, becoming a celebrity overnight. Followed that with 20 wickets in a 3 test series vs the touring NZ. And the dream just like that ended. He toured NZ, WI and Eng and was dropped afterwards. Rather cruel given these places aren't exactly spinners paradises.

Ali TT

International Debutant
The thread is about players that had a good series or Test and never reproduced that form or were left out for some inexplicable reason. Richards never played again because of politics, not because he was ever picked again.
We know the stories of those who burnt brightly for a moment only to fade. Richards is a tantalising story of what might have been...

AndrewB

Narendra Hirwani. At 20 debuted vs WI and went on to take 16 wickets in that match, becoming a celebrity overnight. Followed that with 20 wickets in a 3 test series vs the touring NZ. And the dream just like that ended. He toured NZ, WI and Eng and was dropped afterwards. Rather cruel given these places aren't exactly spinners paradises.
A few years earlier, Sivaramakrishnan had a similar experience: after an unsuccessful debut in Antigua in 1983, he was recalled a couple of years later (still in his teens) and took 19-321 in the first two Tests v England in 1984-5. But by then England had worked out how to play him, and in the rest of the series he took 4-402. He only played another 3 Tests after that, taking 3-327.

Incidentally, does anyone remember this match - Sivaramakrishnan's penultimate Test? I have vague memories of an article by an Indian cricket fan about how he basically spent the whole of the last day yelling at his TV/radio in disbelief at India's failure to win (brief summary: Australia were effectively 48-9 after 2 overs on the last day; Border and Gilbert managed to add another 77 before Border was out just after lunch; India then scored just 59-2 off the 25 overs before tea, despite the threat of rain - which duly came and wiped out the final session).

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
A few years earlier, Sivaramakrishnan had a similar experience: after an unsuccessful debut in Antigua in 1983, he was recalled a couple of years later (still in his teens) and took 19-321 in the first two Tests v England in 1984-5. But by then England had worked out how to play him, and in the rest of the series he took 4-402. He only played another 3 Tests after that, taking 3-327.
I remember Gower's comment about the first test, which India won comfortably, involving 'a leg spinner that we'd never seen before and an umpire that we never wanted to see again.' Without looking it up, England must have worked a few things out by the second test, as they won that one almost as comfortably. I suppose most of the side wouldn't have seen any leg spin at all unless they'd gone to Pakistan 12 months earlier and faced Abdul Qadir. Perhaps only Fowler, Gower and Lamb from the top 7.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant

Incidentally, does anyone remember this match - Sivaramakrishnan's penultimate Test? I have vague memories of an article by an Indian cricket fan about how he basically spent the whole of the last day yelling at his TV/radio in disbelief at India's failure to win (brief summary: Australia were effectively 48-9 after 2 overs on the last day; Border and Gilbert managed to add another 77 before Border was out just after lunch; India then scored just 59-2 off the 25 overs before tea, despite the threat of rain - which duly came and wiped out the final session).
Wow, that's new info for me. Gavaskar screwing India with a slow mo innings wonder how this went under the radar. Wierd given how well Indian openers batted in first innings.