• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

One Day world cup losers draft

a massive zebra

International Captain
Mohammad Kaif will be my final selection please.

Martin Guptill
Tillakaratne Dilshan (6)
Kane Williamson (c)
Graeme Hick
Rahul Dravid (wk)
Mohammad Kaif
James Neesham (5)
Chris Old (3)
Javagal Srinath (2)
Muttiah Muralitharan (4)
Lasith Malinga (1)

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Honest Hunks

Sachin Tendulkar
Alan Turner
Ian Chappell ©
Inzamam ul Haq
Doug Walters (5)
Larry Gomes (6)
Abdul Razzaq (4)
Chris Lewis (3)
Moin Khan (wk)
Dennis Lillee (1)
Shoaib Akhtar (2)

Turned out pretty well in the end. Lilllee and Akhtar will be a fiery combo with the new ball. Chris Lewis and Abdul Razzaq can get the ball to swing both conventional and reverse at decent pace, and can be good death overs bowlers to boot. Larry Gomes and Sachin Tendulkar will provide the spin needed and Dougie Walters himself will bowl whenever needed to fill in the gaps. Batting wise, Alan Turner averaged 40+ in ODIs at a 70+ SR in the 70s showing he might have been a good fit for today's game. Sachin is obviously the GOAT ODI batsman (or 2nd GOAT at least) and Chappell Sr. is a very good batsman and captain. Inzy at 4 as he is one of the best ever middle order batsmen in ODIs. And then some hitting power from 5 to 9 and Lillee was not the worst with the bat at a pinch. All in all, a very balanced side that can beat any team on their day.

a massive zebra

International Captain
I would push KW and Hick up a spot and drop Dravid down to 5. He was at his best in ODIs in that role.
Thanks for your advice. I put Dravid at 3 due to his mastery of that position as a Test batsman, but of course ODI s are a completely different game. Not only was Dravid at his best at 5, but Williamson has played almost his entire career at 3, so it also suits him to move up a spot.

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
When one considers the players the two countries have had over the years, it does seem bizarre that England made so many finals and South Africa haven't made any. I guess England just make the most of their relatively limited talent and South Africa have a history of choking on the big occasion. Also, a number of England's finals were before South Africa's readmission from apartheid.

Last edited:

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
In what universe is Ronchi superior to Marsh?
He's clearly not but he's a better slogger.

I was just trying to get as many players as I could with very very high strike rates - still got Jayasuriya, Sehwag, C Anderson, CDG, and Gilmour so shouldn't be greedy.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thanks everyone, I had heaps of fun with this draft. I'll put up a voting thread as soon as everyone has confirmed their XIs.

Stephen's also rans (bowling options in brackets):

1 Saeed Anwar
2 Mark Taylor
3 RT Ponting *
4 Kumar Sangakkara +
5 Steve Waugh (5)
6 Russel Arnold
7 Thilan Samaraweera
8 Daniel Vettori (4)
9 Matt Henry (2)
10 Lockie Ferguson (3)
11 Michael Holding (1)
Personally I'm quite happy with this XI. The batting would probably be better in tests but the bowling is legitimately great at ODIs. Relying on Waugh for 10 overs might be a bit much but Arnold could bowl as well (he doesn't qualify as a bowling option though).

Ponting plus sanga followed by Waugh and Arnold gives a huge amount of firepower and adaptability through the middle. Holding and Henry with the new ball with Ferguson as first change and Vettori as spinner gives a lot of punch with the ball.

Overall this side is quite balanced. I quite like it.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Max Walker
Dilhara Fernando

Afridi
Haynes
Gooch
Taylor
Lamb
Botham
Dujon
Walker
Fernando
Saqlain
Garner

Pretty **** depth due to that brain-dead Afridi selection

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Henry Nicholls
Wajahatullah Wasti
Vivian Richards *
Mahela Jayawardene
Yuvraj Singh
Tom Latham +
Azhar Mahmood [5]
Paul Reiffel [4]
Jeff Thomson [1]
Zaheer Khan [3]
Trent Boult [2]
Ordinary team this. Made lot of errors. Picked Yuvraj Singh early only to realize he is not qualified to be the 5th bowler. And did not openers early enough to end up with a pretty meh opening pair. Viv Richards to win few games though.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Ordinary team this. Made lot of errors. Picked Yuvraj Singh early only to realize he is not qualified to be the 5th bowler. And did not openers early enough to end up with a pretty meh opening pair. Viv Richards to win few games though.
Viv can be your 6th bowler